Westworld

Total Red

Staff member
It's off to Westworld to face the Western Cockroaches. That's what I respectfully call them and I do mean respectfully, it's a compliment. You can pound and pound WIU until you're sure the team is dead and then they come back and beat you. Ask Youngstown St. The Penguins had the 'roaches down 35-7 in Youngstown and WIU came back to win 38-35.

You also have to respect the WIU QB Connor Sampson. There are different ways to deal with pass rush pressure. Sampson has ordinary feet but he has a very quick release and he's a great decision maker. He's built in the Dan Marino mold. We put a ton of pass rush pressure on him in the spring but he made very few mistakes. Sampson was sacked 3 times and the Redbirds also had 7 QB hurries. Under heavy pressure Sampson only completed only 22 of 42 attempts but none of the sacks were far from the line of scrimmage and he never threw an interception. With Sampson it's a quick read, quick release, and if the play isn't there he throws it away.

I expect our offense to remain as it has been. We'll pound the ball and wait for the big play. It could come from the passing game if a WIU defender misses a tackle but I'd be surprised if there's more than 1 or 2 deep balls even attempted. Jefferson did connect on a 58-yard pass play against Western in the spring but that was a blown coverage that left the receiver ridiculously wide open in the deep middle. Even then the receiver had to come back to get the ball and he was tackled. It fluttered coming out of Jefferson's hand suggesting he may have lost some grip.

I'm still basking in the win at SD but hopefully the team has moved on is prepared for 4 quarter cockroach crunching in Macomb.
Battle on 'Birds

Total Red

Staff member
I've heard/read some things regarding the spring game against Western that do not properly characterize that game. First, I've heard it said that we weren't able to substitute along the defensive line. That one is factually incorrect. We rotated 5 players in the 3 down D-Line positions. No one played the whole game and nose tackle Ridgeway was notably rested. Also it was suggested that we were clearly superior to Western but fatigue on defense allowed WIU to get back into the game. Illinois State held a 23-3 lead but the final score was 26-18. That one is more a matter of opinion but if anyone thinks that the defense was tired then that would be an indictment of the strength and conditioning program. The Redbirds held the ball for 42 min and 24 seconds in that game. WIU had it for 17 min and 36 seconds. Time of possession can be somewhat deceiving because an incomplete pass doesn't take much time so let's look at the # of plays run. The Redbirds ran 79 plays in that game and Western 61. If anyone had a right to be exhausted in the 4th Q it would have been the WIU defense.

The fatigue explanation doesn't give Western and Sampson their due. Sampson made clutch throws under pressure and Western earned their way back. Again, we need to be ready for 4 quarters of football because the 'roaches aren't just going to go away.

fourthandshort

I've heard/read some things regarding the spring game against Western that do not properly characterize that game. First, I've heard it said that we weren't able to substitute along the defensive line. That one is factually incorrect. We rotated 5 players in the 3 down D-Line positions. No one played the whole game and nose tackle Ridgeway was notably rested. Also it was suggested that we were clearly superior to Western but fatigue on defense allowed WIU to get back into the game. Illinois State held a 23-3 lead but the final score was 26-18. That one is more a matter of opinion but if anyone thinks that the defense was tired then that would be an indictment of the strength and conditioning program. The Redbirds held the ball for 42 min and 24 seconds in that game. WIU had it for 17 min and 36 seconds. Time of possession can be somewhat deceiving because an incomplete pass doesn't take much time so let's look at the # of plays run. The Redbirds ran 79 plays in that game and Western 61. If anyone had a right to be exhausted in the 4th Q it would have been the WIU defense.

The fatigue explanation doesn't give Western and Sampson their due. Sampson made clutch throws under pressure and Western earned their way back. Again, we need to be ready for 4 quarters of football because the 'roaches aren't just going to go away.
WIU is very scary playing from behind with their QB and pass game .. theyve had a couple very impressive come backs.

- EWU .... WIU down 55-21 at half .. lost 62-56, and had the ball with some time left no clock.
- YSU .... YSU went up 35-8 with 1:29 left in half. WIU scored before half and went on to win 38-35.
- SIU ... down 21-0 early in Q2, lost 31-30

Those were games 3,4, and 5. And theyve since come back to earth in most recent 3 games. But they can throw it.

fourthandshort

“Throw it”? What does that mean?

Sincerely,

Redbird football
Sorry, I should slow down some and go back to basics. Back in 2006, the forward pass was ... oh wait, I meant to say 1906. Ok, so .. oh never mind, it is very complex .. so just click link below. This whole forward pass thing may be the future of football ... thinking, maybe we should give it a go.

p.s. oh, and neigbor friend of mine just told me, TE stands for Tight End, not Tackle Eligible. And the good thing is, the Tight End does not have even declare himself Tackle Eligible .... he already is !! So he gets to block and .. get this ... catch passes !!!!

Anyway .. it's all very exciting and we should keep an open mind.

Total Red

Staff member
If the Redbirds come out as hungry as they were in SD then this game is ours. The 'Birds played hard and they played smart. They won the turnover battle 3-0. Every remaining game is winnable. The only one that matters now is the one at Western tomorrow. Battle on 'Birds

MadBird

If the Redbirds come out as hungry as they were in SD then this game is ours. The 'Birds played hard and they played smart. They won the turnover battle 3-0. Every remaining game is winnable. The only one that matters now is the one at Western tomorrow. Battle on 'Birds
Yes, 3-4 teams don't have "trap games" or games they can't get up for. Other than UNI (which is "only" .500 in the conference and 4-3 overall), 3 of our final 4 are with our "neighbors" in the MVFC bottom half with no one above .500 in the conference or overall. In other words, games the Birds can win if they get it together, or keep it together.

The Turkeynecks put up 56 points in Macomb vs. 7-1 E. Washington. They put up 30 in Macomb vs. SIU and only lost by one. Averaging almost 26 pts. per game. And averaging over 300 yds. per game passing! 300! The boys have to come to play!

I'm being optimistic, and am assuming our guys are going to come out fired up and ready for the first game in a strong stretch run. Gonna say:

Peach Blossoms -- 24
Stretch Running Redbirds -- 27

StLRedbird

I know many have been bitchin' about the run-orientation of Spack's teams lately, but Western is the kind of team that I wholly endorse a run-heavy game plan. Hurry up offenses try to tire out defenses and prevent substitutions. Here's to several nice, long 8-9 minute smash mouth drives that keep our defense - and their offense - off the field. 3 and outs get you into trouble against these kind of teams.

Devil Dogs 24
Runnin' Redbirds 34

gobirds85

TD Redbirds!!! We picked up the kick off when WIU didn’t.

Mueller rolling for 3 TDS already.

21-7

Dmills

Need to keep going full steam ahead. This western team doesn't give up

StLRedbird

When did Western quit running the hurry up - or do I have them confused w someone else?

gobirds85

It’s probably coming back as we were down before the lateral.

It is, but the Birds maintain the lead at 21-13.

Top Bottom