vs SIU (2-1) - 1/6/24 - 6 pm - Marquee

Phantom

Big game. Miss when SIU games meant something and were intense. This is one that, in the halcyon days, would've been hyped up pretty well and easily drawn 8-9K, even during Christmas break, with a good amount of SIU fans making the trek up. Fun banter pregame with them at the Pub included.

But anyway.

First thing we need to do is show up. But since we never actually arrived in Des Moines, that should be pretty easy. Secondly,, play hard. If we aren't hitting shots early, don't just cave in. Attack the basket and finish shots. Get to the line. And for the love of all that's holy, PLAY D AND REBOUND. Third and finally, try not to get blown out at home.

ISU86

Big game. Miss when SIU games meant something and were intense. This is one that, in the halcyon days, would've been hyped up pretty well and easily drawn 8-9K, even during Christmas break, with a good amount of SIU fans making the trek up. Fun banter pregame with them at the Pub included.

But anyway.

First thing we need to do is show up. But since we never actually arrived in Des Moines, that should be pretty easy. Secondly,, play hard. If we aren't hitting shots early, don't just cave in. Attack the basket and finish shots. Get to the line. And for the love of all that's holy, PLAY D AND REBOUND. Third and finally, try not to get blown out at home.
Looked over the boxscore for the Southern Illinois at Wichita State game ... 7,187 (their biggest of the season). Shockers are 8-5, and most of their games have been in the 6K range. Not many years back they were selling out all the time. Yes, we could be better, but we are not immune.

As far as the game, until we can figure out how to get out of own way in the first half, a "W" will be hard to come by. Defense is not supposed to slump, but it certainly did in Des Moines. SIU has not had unexpected result aside a home loss to Austin Peay State (albeit Indiana State took them to the woodshed at Terre Haute).

Salukis 70
Redbirds 68

RedbirdSoxFan

This game is a good barometer for where the season will go. Win this game and I believe we will finish 10-10. Lose this game and I see 6-14

After having my morning glass of Redbird kool-aid I’m going to say:
Redbirds 70
Dawgs 67

That means a 10-10 Regular Season.

Last edited:

SlackBooDom

SIU has lost to three good teams (JMU, Indiana State, Wichita) and the other was Austin Peay, who has an offense as anemic as ours. Austin Peay won that one by winning the second half by 11 and holding SIU without a field goal for the final five minutes. We will need to do something similar on the defensive end - the SIU defense is very good so I'm unsure we can outscore them. SIU is 6th in the country in 3P% defense. This is going to be an ugly, slow one that we will need to maximize possessions, but no better time to stop a losing streak. 68-60 Birds.

dpdoughbird06

Looked over the boxscore for the Southern Illinois at Wichita State game ... 7,187 (their biggest of the season). Shockers are 8-5, and most of their games have been in the 6K range. Not many years back they were selling out all the time. Yes, we could be better, but we are not immune.

As far as the game, until we can figure out how to get out of own way in the first half, a "W" will be hard to come by. Defense is not supposed to slump, but it certainly did in Des Moines. SIU has not had unexpected result aside a home loss to Austin Peay State (albeit Indiana State took them to the woodshed at Terre Haute).

Salukis 70
Redbirds 68
We’re all front runners to some extent. Even the “Best Fans On Baseball” in STL stopped showing up in the second half last year.

For all the thoughts expressed on our Gameday experience, the best cure remains to win consistently - ideally with exciting players and style.

Beating the Dawgs Saturday would be a nice start in this direction…

Phantom

One thing I want to see more of is the DBs attacking & slashing. Just be relentless with it. In our last few wins, this worked rather well. More of that. It creates opportunities and at worst, is a recipe to draw fouls.

ISU86

One thing I want to see more of is the DBs attacking & slashing. Just be relentless with it. In our last few wins, this worked rather well. More of that. It creates opportunities and at worst, is a recipe to draw fouls.
Agreed. He is definitely more effective from 12 feet and in.

RedbirdSoxFan

I would like to see Banks, Poindexter, Burford, Davis, and JohnnyK all start attacking the paint more.

fdbird83

With Siu in town, I expect a bump in attendance, so instead of 3200 it will be more like 3250.

RedbirdSoxFan

Saw on FB there are 200 free lower bowl tix available courtesy of Mike & Abby Jones. Just mention their name at the North entrance to get tix.
Couldn’t find the post on FB, but do you know if the kids in Reggie’s Kids Club can get those? I have tickets in Section 108, but am taking my two grandkids, so need them to be able to sit in lower bowl or we will just sit in upper bowl.

BirdAlum2K15

Good afternoon Redbird fans, time to get liquored up at Mugby's for an unforgettable game.

THREE KEYS TO VICTORY:

1. Take the shot if we have it. I've seen us get burned too many times trying to find a perfect shot and then end up forcing up something late in the shot clock. If we have an open 12 footer, take it. Would rather get shots up than essentially turnovers on late clock FG attempts.

2. Xavier Johnson dud. Not only is he a great scorer, but he is a great distributor as well. Get him to a slow start (<9 points at half), and maybe he becomes flustered in the second half. Limit his free throw attempts. Smart D.

3. Never out of it. We seem to dig ourselves a big enough hole until we are in our comfort zone (down 5+ points) and then we play better. SIU has only had two true road games (both losses, one a blowout) so who knows if they can close out coming down the stretch in hostile territory. Let's make some noise.

Take care of these, and BIRDS WIN 71-67

Top Bottom