VB off to a Great Start!

normalbird

The Redbird women’s volleyball team went 7-4 pre-conference, losing only to nationally ranked teams, and mostly in hotly contested matches.

In their first conference match, they pretty much blew perennial power and MVC preseason #2 ranked Missouri State off the floor in Springfield.

Coach Johnson has done a great job mixing existing players with high quality newcomers. This team deserves our support.

Now would be a great time to start (or resume) attending exciting Redbird volleyball games!

JHBird

This could be our schools best team this year. The blowout at MSU took me off guard. I guess playing those three nationally ranked teams this year has toughened them up. Don't forget MSU had a 30+ MVS win streak that we just broke on their home court - heck, broke? More like obliterated. This team deserves a packed house next weekend!

cubird

First time this year the team did not compete the entire game. Total meltdown in the 3rd set to N Iowa after squandering the 3rd set away. Got to turn it around at Drake to split on the road.

bb fan

Birds take care of Drake. Friday the VB team is at home ahead of Hoopsfest. I plan to be there.

JHBird

Hope we can beat UNI here again, to even it up. Seems like the second set loss broke our spirit. I would've liked them to have at least pushed it to the fifth set. Getting swept always sucks...

Pretty much all our wins have been sweeps.

Adunk33

Staff member
I can tell you this.. I haven't gone to a VB game in about 5 years, it was a departmental obligation. I really look forward to Friday's game against Valpo! I have been tracking the VB scores and keeping tabs on them. Hopefully they have a good showing because as a lead-in to Hoopfest, it should be one of the largest crowds of the year.

topiarydan

Realtime RPI is predicting we lose this match 3-2. So let's prove them wrong. Valpo has RPI of 50 while we are 62. However our SOS is better. We win this match and not s_it the bed vs Loyola we'll be back in top 50 RPI which is key for an at large bid

JHBird

topiarydan said:
Realtime RPI is predicting we lose this match 3-2. So let's prove them wrong. Valpo has RPI of 50 while we are 62. However our SOS is better. We win this match and not s_it the bed vs Loyola we'll be back in top 50 RPI which is key for an at large bid

Wow, I didn't realize Valpo was that good. I figured we wipe the floor with them. But yeah, this is a big match.

topiarydan

Great win tonite vs Valpo - follow up by beating Loyola and we'll be back in Top 50 RPI

Adunk33

Staff member
Really fun game last night. Valpo had a decent amount of fans there and I'm guessing that's the largest crowd VB will play in front of this season.

I'll probably do season tickets next year! Fun product and atmosphere.

cubird

Great weekend can be topped off with a Monday win over the Braves!

JHBird

This is only my second year having season tickets, but that was the largest crowd I've seen for volleyball. It makes quite a difference. Great game too. Hopefully they make this event happen every year during homecoming, with a volleyball game at 6pm, followed by hoopfest. I'm thinking the volleyball team created some new fans from this.

cpacmel

Tough match vs Bradley. But the Women did win 3 games to 1!
That's 15 consecutive wins over Bradley. 68-12 all-time.

Hamdonger

ISU volleyball is a GREAT product. I was a basketball freak but watching those girls play with that athleticism and speed and power forever won me over. Every bit as enjoyable as a basketball game...dare I say it...maybe more in the right environment.

bb fan

I have always thought if more folks would attend a volleyball match, they would be hooked. It is a fun, fast paced, action packed sport to begin with. And we are a fun team to watch with a lot of talent.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
When they changed the rules to rally scoring, I think that really made it more interesting for fans. Back in the day when it was you could only score when serving....maaaan we had some long matches.

Morans14

bb fan said:
I have always thought if more folks would attend a volleyball match, they would be hooked. It is a fun, fast paced, action packed sport to begin with. And we are a fun team to watch with a lot of talent.
Couldn't agree more! It's a fun sport and the price is right for season tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHBird

isuquinndog said:
When they changed the rules to rally scoring, I think that really made it more interesting for fans. Back in the day when it was you could only score when serving....maaaan we had some long matches.

Thanks for clearing that up. When I first started going to the games last year I thought you could only score when serving? So I definitely wasn't imagining that. I could see how the games would then take much longer. I tell you though, when they sweep somebody the game almost goes too fast. When they beat Evansville the game was over in 70 minutes!

I noticed also this year they don't really have a 'half time' after the second set. They don't go to the locker room at all, and the 3rd set gets started pretty fast. I didn't think the games were too long last year, even the five setters, so I kinda of miss the 'half time' games the fans participated in, but oh well.

I was talking with one of the team parents. He told me the last two recruiting classes all came from the previous coach. He said they didn't lose a single recruit due to a coaching change, including his daughter. That's a big compliment to our institution here. Kids like the visit, so they commit to the school & program, not the coach. He said when the young ladies give a verbal commitment that you don't see a lot of that decommit nonsense you see in the big time male sports. Their word means something. Funny way of looking at things, right? He also told me this years recruiting class has a really good libero plus a great outside hitter who is what they call a 6 position player. Kinda like Lilly Johnson from MSU last year. She basically stays on the court for most of the game. That will be nice to have., but yeah, coach Johnson can recruit. Looks like she's got another 20 win season coming too. Hopefully we make the big dance.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
JHBird it was changed probably 10 years ago now, I think. But yeah, matches are super fast.

It's the same in high school and I've thought hard about becoming a volleyball official. Don't have to move, inside and super quick matches. Checks all the boxes. ;)

Top Bottom