UIC Flames game

Sanantoniobird

I've seen a couple of the Flames games this year. Mainly, wanted to see Max Strus in all his glory vs. the UIC backcourt. He didn't disappoint--and burned them for 25. Anyhow, we will be vertically challenged at just about every position again except point, where we have the slight edge (based on our previous starters), then it drops off even more for us if we get into our bench. UIC coming off of a decent year with one of the youngest teams in basketball, had a lot of high expectations, and it has yet to come to pass. UIC has struggled this year with some "decent" competition. They have been blown out 3 times this year, albeit once by Kentucky. Eye test says they are not the team they were last year, although they have comparable stats except behind the arc where they fell from 37% to 29%. Two starters are off of their averages from last year in a number of categories, but notably around 6ppg on average. This may be due to injury, Dixon (6-7) had an ACL tear.
They are predicted to finish in the top of the Horizon...but what does that really mean with no Loyola or Valpo?
The bad: we statistically will get out-rebounded and out-assisted and if we continue our shooting woes at home, they could go zone and pack it in with their size in the middle. They are not playing to their potential and could probably turn that around, eventually.
The good: They are not shooting well anywhere, and they turn the ball over at very decent clip. There could be a number of reasons why they are just not playing inspired basketball; new asst. coaches, different offense, or their lingering injuries with some of their starters.
The only reason I started this thread is to say that it would be cool to start the "final fighting five" of the Ole Miss game; but may not be wise considering the size of every other DIV-I team in college basketball.

Adunk33

Staff member
McHalesNavy said:
Birds-70
Flames-57

Pick to Click-Milik who goes for 20 pts/8 rebs/6 assists

Milik gets over the hump and finally has a triple-double. EC scores his first of 1,000 points as a Redbird and plays 15 minutes. David plays and has 4 blocks. The five that ended the Ole Miss game (Tinsley, Gassman, Evans, Hein, and Williams) start the game for their gritty effort. (Probably not.)

Birds win big.

DannyCooksey

Al Davis

I think we see a big game from Tinsley. Just a gut feeling.

Birds 74
Flames 62

Baltimore Bird

I [predicted 4 and 8 in NON-CON, but am now hopeful for 6 and 6. With who we have played with that is amazing.

Birds should prevail in this one start to finish.

Birds 77, Flame Outs 61

Reggie Redbird

Adunk33 said:
McHalesNavy said:
Birds-70
Flames-57

Milik gets over the hump and finally has a triple-double. EC scores his first of 1,000 points as a Redbird and plays 15 minutes. David plays and has 4 blocks. The five that ended the Ole Miss game (Tinsley, Gassman, Evans, Hein, and Williams) start the game for their gritty effort. (Probably not.)

Birds win big.

Here's my question: if David isn't healthy enough to dress, let alone play a few minutes at Ole Miss, why would he be healthy enough to play against UIC? Perhaps there was a line drawn on an exact date he wouldn't come back for. If he truly wasn't healthy enough, I think I wait until our game on 12/31 and give him extra time to heal.

I guess the question is: is he even practicing at this point? If Romine is back practicing as well, we should have some size that can go in for a couple minutes here and there while their conditioning comes back. My hope is that Romine kept himself in decent shape while gone, as in continuing to do some strong cardio workouts.

Adunk33

Staff member
Reggie Redbird said:
Adunk33 said:
McHalesNavy said:
Birds-70
Flames-57

Birds win big.

Here's my question: if David isn't healthy enough to dress, let alone play a few minutes at Ole Miss, why would he be healthy enough to play against UIC? Perhaps there was a line drawn on an exact date he wouldn't come back for. If he truly wasn't healthy enough, I think I wait until our game on 12/31 and give him extra time to heal.

I guess the question is: is he even practicing at this point? If Romine is back practicing as well, we should have some size that can go in for a couple minutes here and there while their conditioning comes back. My hope is that Romine kept himself in decent shape while gone, as in continuing to do some strong cardio workouts.

Redbirdfan21 said:
https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/942846877724266497

:think: :cool:

RedbirdNation24

I think this will be a breakout game. With potentially a full bench, I think we see them put it all together, and this team is clicking on all cylinders going into conference play. Birds by 20+

ekeyfanclub

According to one of Benson's articles last week, Romine was supposed to have started practicing Sunday after the Ole Miss game.

Hamdonger

Hein goes for 30 and let's fly with a 20ft.76inch bomb that caroms off the top of the backboard and this time...goes in. Hey, when it's your night it's your night.

The Gas gets streaky and hits 8 in a row. From half court. Ala Curly.

Witliller, I mean Litwiller (easy now, love the kid), closes out an end game run with a doublepump reverse 360. Over Dixon.

Hulka hits the halftime half court shot.

BBfan is caught on the kisscam makin out with his wife! :dance:

CrazzyMark is arrested for streaking at the first officials time out. With Redbirdfan.net written on his...ummm...chest...in red senegence lipstick. ReggieRedbird is credited with the tackle. Steve Adams with the assist.

We make Sportscenter highlights.

Did we win?? Heck, I don't know...

V Boy

Would like to see us hold UIC under 60.

Once Valley play starts teams are going to start figuring out our offense. We will need to improve our defense to have a shot at being in top 3 in league play.

Gave up 98 to Nevada
97 to Ole Miss
82 Boise
80 BYU
78 Murray

Starts tonight. Getting Clarance and David back in rotation should help.

IHateWSU

V Boy said:
Would like to see us hold UIC under 60.

Once Valley play starts teams are going to start figuring out our offense. We will need to improve our defense to have a shot at being in top 3 in league play.

Gave up 98 to Nevada
97 to Ole Miss
82 Boise
80 BYU
78 Murray

Starts tonight. Getting Clarance and David back in rotation should help.
and 98 to FGCU

Redbird28

How many of you are going to the game tonight?

We'll be there, perched in AA.

Sparky D. Dragon is going down hard in this one with the Redbirds riding high after their 2nd SEC takedown of the season.

Sparkies 65
Reggies 75

Adunk33

Staff member
Reggie Redbird said:
Adunk33 said:
McHalesNavy said:
Birds-70
Flames-57

Birds win big.

After thinking about this a little more, I think it would be largely beneficial to have David get at least SOME minutes tonight, maybe 5-10, just so he can try and get back in the rhythm before conference play. However, looking at our first conference game vs a banged-up Evansville team, we may not need David for that game. A few minutes here and there to help him get his feet wet, and then he can be back to like 15 minutes for Indiana State on NYE, and then have him back completely for Drake.

Retire 12

Offense has been clicking, but now it's time for the defense to rise up.

T Will and P Lee left a legacy for our guards defensively. Someone needs to pick up the torch and run with it.

It starts tonight.

Top Bottom