Tristan Smith leaves team

fourthandshort

hmmm ... suddenly real thin at QB. Hope RS FR Bryce Jefferson is ready to step up.

MadBird

okay, my head is spinning here . . . . is Hatfield still here or did he leave too? Back to QB for him?

Broadnax pulled the trigger too early. I get why these guys get itchy, but you know, hang in there, stay with it, your time will come!! Maybe . . . ;)

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
okay, my head is spinning here . . . . is Hatfield still here or did he leave too? Back to QB for him?

Broadnax pulled the trigger too early. I get why these guys get itchy, but you know, hang in there, stay with it, your time will come!! Maybe . . . ;)

they will need a 3rd stringer to run scout team and if nothing else, just to take some reps until true FR get here ... maybe they move Hatfield back to QB and let him and Jefferson duke it out for 2nd string.

NewBird

Hatfield has moved to Safety I believe. Bryce should get a lot of Reps this Spring which may not be a bad thing.

ISUBU

Job well done by Mr. Smith. Degree in hand, nothing wrong with looking for a place to get some playing time. Best wishes to him.

fourthandshort

as good as our track record is for finding RBs, we have really struggled to find good HS QBs. Kolbe was by all accounts a great get coming out of HS and got off to very promising start in 2016, but faded in 2017 .. IMO .. under OC Dicken's mis-handling of position and offense. Matt Brown was not Spack's recruit .. he inherited Brown. Hard to name a single HS QB recruit who has worked out ... in fact, all have fallen well short of Spack's expectations. I recall how Spack used to tout Blake Winkler as a "Drew Brees" type QB. I liked him, but he was a lot more like Rex Grossman than Drew Brees ... ver good thrower but could not handle/feel the pocket .. then Roberson transfered in and that was that. But think about all the QBs that have come and gone ... never realizing their alleged potential.

The point .. we have got to get better recruiting HS QBs. We also used to be good at WR position .. both starters and depth waiting their turn. Now we struggle to find adequate starters .. and our 2nd string is noting too promising to look forward to. Rest of position groups we do very well .. but recruiting of QB and then WR more recently have not gone nearly as well as the rest of positions.

Sorry for tangent .. but it is related to Smith leaving .

RedbirdSoxFan

fourthandshort said:
as good as our track record is for finding RBs, we have really struggled to find good HS QBs. Kolbe was by all accounts a great get coming out of HS and got off to very promising start in 2016, but faded in 2017 .. IMO .. under OC Dicken's mis-handling of position and offense. Matt Brown was not Spack's recruit .. he inherited Brown. Hard to name a single HS QB recruit who has worked out ... in fact, all have fallen well short of Spack's expectations. I recall how Spack used to tout Blake Winkler as a "Drew Brees" type QB. I liked him, but he was a lot more like Rex Grossman than Drew Brees ... ver good thrower but could not handle/feel the pocket .. then Roberson transfered in and that was that. But think about all the QBs that have come and gone ... never realizing their alleged potential.

The point .. we have got to get better recruiting HS QBs. We also used to be good at WR position .. both starters and depth waiting their turn. Now we struggle to find adequate starters .. and our 2nd string is noting too promising to look forward to. Rest of position groups we do very well .. but recruiting of QB and then WR more recently have not gone nearly as well as the rest of positions.

It will never happen, but I would love to see Coach Spack bring in Derek Leonard as the Quarterback Coach.

fourthandshort

RedbirdSoxFan said:
fourthandshort said:

It will never happen, but I would love to see Coach Spack bring in Derek Leonard as the Quarterback Coach.
having an eye for talent is only half the issue ... but you're right if you're inferring it is also about developing and using the talent.

that is at least 2nd time Rochester HC Leonard's name came up.

Jon99

Well Leonard turned the Illini down when they offered him the QB coach job, so he isn't coming here for anything less than OC, which is also unlikely

fourthandshort

Jon99 said:
Well Leonard turned the Illini down when they offered him the QB coach job, so he isn't coming here for anything less than OC, which is also unlikely

Putting aside economics, which is probably your main point ... I think the our needle is pointing higher than Illini. I also think we would beat Illini more often than not.

Top Bottom