Transfer Portal '23-'24 Offseason

Dmills

This happened before the UND game. Not surprising at all. I still think Wagner is a capable starter but it looks like we will likely be looking in the portal again to bring more competition to the kicking position for the 3rd? consecutive offseason

Bdub777

Well, he's a Minnesota QB, with rumors of transferring, and he participated in the Senior Walk at Minnesota yesterday and has a year of eligibility left. So why not keep the "tradition" going??

I think unless a one year grad transfer at QB is good enough to possibly take you all the way, why bother? A backup from Minnesota probably doesn’t fit that description…..

crazzymark

This happened before the UND game. Not surprising at all. I still think Wagner is a capable starter but it looks like we will likely be looking in the portal again to bring more competition to the kicking position for the 3rd? consecutive offseason

Wagner has or had the the metal pin removed from his kicking leg, he'll be at 100% for the first time next season

redbirds2000

I think unless a one year grad transfer at QB is good enough to possibly take you all the way, why bother? A backup from Minnesota probably doesn’t fit that description…..
Exactly. I can hear the excuses now. He hasn't played a full game in over 4 years. It's going to take time for him to get used to live action. Etc.

fourthandshort

Uh .. Annexstad was 3rd string from Minnesota ??

Granted, he was highly rated out of HS and got starter reps as true FR due to injuries, I believe. Then he had couple injuries and fell way off.

Bdub777

Uh .. Annexstad was 3rd string from Minnesota ??

Granted, he was highly rated out of HS and got starter reps as true FR due to injuries, I believe. Then he had couple injuries and fell way off.
Annexstad had more than one year and we didn’t make the playoffs anyway. Kind of my point. A one year eligible guy would have to be exceptional….

fourthandshort

Annexstad had more than one year and we didn’t make the playoffs anyway. Kind of my point. A one year eligible guy would have to be exceptional….
I think your threading a needle here with your point ... but I partly get your point. But the only reason we didn't have a run this year was the slower than hoped rebuild on defense, and then even still, the 4 losses by 8 pts to teams ranked between 15-25 .. granted in Annexstad's 2nd year. As for last year, too slow a start with our new offense and RB/OL injuries.

So given we now have higher hopes on defense for next season, and even on offense ... with a lot of juniors presumably returning for next season, there is a 1 year window here that almost requires us to be very sure of the QB position. While even I, the leading Spack QB skeptic on this forum, is feeling way more optimistic about our #2 QB in 2023 ... I am still guarded about the QB situation going into 2024. Many of us had our doubts about this season ... lost a lot from a very good 2022 defense, and suffered thru a very inconsistent 2022 offense, granted run game was hit hard with injuries, and Spack was still feeling out his new OC/QB combo ... so neither was a sure bet for 2023. Yet we finished 6-5 again, despite it being a way better year overall ... 4 losses by 8 total pts to ranked teams.

Anyway, lot of juniors becoming seniors in 2024 .. if there is a 1 year "can't miss" QB available .. one who sees how much we have coming back, and how much/well we threw it in 2023 .. I think we have to take him.

Bdub777

I think your threading a needle here with your point ... but I partly get your point. But the only reason we didn't have a run this year was the slower than hoped rebuild on defense, and then even still, the 4 losses by 8 pts to teams ranked between 15-25 .. granted in Annexstad's 2nd year. As for last year, too slow a start with our new offense and RB/OL injuries.

So given we now have higher hopes on defense for next season, and even on offense ... with a lot of juniors presumably returning for next season, there is a 1 year window here that almost requires us to be very sure of the QB position. While even I, the leading Spack QB skeptic on this forum, is feeling way more optimistic about our #2 QB in 2023 ... I am still guarded about the QB situation going into 2024. Many of us had our doubts about this season ... lost a lot from a very good 2022 defense, and suffered thru a very inconsistent 2022 offense, granted run game was hit hard with injuries, and Spack was still feeling out his new OC/QB combo ... so neither was a sure bet for 2023. Yet we finished 6-5 again, despite it being a way better year overall ... 4 losses by 8 total pts to ranked teams.

Anyway, lot of juniors becoming seniors in 2024 .. if there is a 1 year "can't miss" QB available .. one who sees how much we have coming back, and how much/well we threw it in 2023 .. I think we have to take him.
Exactly what I said. Minnesota ain’t a QB factory or an offensive juggernaut. If there is a one year can’t miss prospect, sure. Otherwise, look for someone who can give you years, not months.

topiarydan

I believe there are some IU and Michigan St players who might be a good fit for us - with new coaches coming in there is bound to be guys who are actually not on the Power 5 hot list and could be a good fit for us

fourthandshort

Exactly what I said. Minnesota ain’t a QB factory or an offensive juggernaut. If there is a one year can’t miss prospect, sure. Otherwise, look for someone who can give you years, not months.
My bad .. should have read your post closer.

To others .. I still have not ruled out Rittenhouse nor even backpedaling my newfound optimism in a Spack #2 QB. He is a true dual threat who came in a did well 2 straight games using most/all of the playbook. Not Annexstad's playbook, but one that played more to Rittenhouse's strengths .. true dual threat and improvising under pressure. I do wonder about his arm strength and whether scouting reports will eventually catch up to him. But right now, I still want to see more of him and hope he gets hard look during offseason, as starter next fall. The IPF will sure help.

Side note .. our stats against UND were a smidge better than Sacramento's stats .. other than placekicking team issue. Rittenhouse AND DEFENSE were big part of that. Not to take anything away from RB Blakemore, WRs, and TE Grandy ... but Rittenhouse and the defense came up big against UND. Reminder that we left some points on field with uncharacteristic penalties, and more issues with placekicking. Our offense got 10 more yards and gave up 20 less yards. Several penalties after sitting 1st and goal on their 4, led to easy missed FG, plus missed XP .. plus other penalties hurt other drives. But from LOS, we outplayed UND as much as Sacramento did .. with our #2 QB. And yes, our defense hung tough against a strong offense.

ISU vs UND 2 weeks ago:
1701097335693.png

Sacramento vs UND game last week:
1701097293105.png

MadBird

Okay, okay I apologize for posting that item about the kid from Minnesota, I was posting half in jest, just thought it was "ironic" that another QB from Minnesota might be available. I wasn't suggesting Cole Kramer was the path to success for next year or the only guy ISU should look at or that he even has any interest. I'm sorry, I had no idea it would be taken so seriously! :rolleyes:

fourthandshort

Okay, okay I apologize for posting that item about the kid from Minnesota, I was posting half in jest, just thought it was "ironic" that another QB from Minnesota might be available. I wasn't suggesting Cole Kramer was the path to success for next year or the only guy ISU should look at or that he even has any interest. I'm sorry, I had no idea it would be taken so seriously! :rolleyes:
always the troll .... 😁

Redbird15

It should be Rittenhouse Job to loose. Then again priority#1 ? Will Peterson be coming back ? With that being said remains to be seen how many Birds are going to fall out into the Portal nest in a NORMAL situation. If he departs it leaves a lot of ?'s on QB situation and other skilled position's. 12/4 portal officially opens and even then some kids may wait to see what develops after 1st portal period closes and enter into 2nd portal opening up in spring.

Dmills

OL with 3 years to play from Tyler JC under OC Brady Davis. Redshirted his freshman year at Texas State.

Dmills

Sophomore WR Tyreke Fortney has entered the transfer portal. I do not believe he appeared in any games. It appears he was also a member of the track and field team although I don't see his name on the roster.

Dmills

ISU is in the market for a QB. Morrissey has been around the MVFC block. Played HS at Montini Catholic. JUCO All-American at Trinity Valley. Transferred to UNI and was QB #3 behind Theo Day and Will McElvain in 2021, QB #2 (or 3) behind Theo Day in 2022. Transferred to WIU and was HM all-MVFC. He is a pocket passer - he finished with a net of -192 yards rushing. His career long rush? 13 yards vs Illinois State. Passing the ball, he had 2,014 yards on a 61.1% completion percentage in addition to 13 TD and 7 INT. He has 1 year of eligbility

Top Bottom