Top 30 All-Time Illinois College Coaches!

RedbirdSoxFan

Chicago Tribune did an article on the top 30 all-time College Coaches in Illinois. Chris Collins is on the list-Kevin Stallings is not. What? Are you kidding me?

BTbird

Stallings did great for us here but I'm not sure it as big as accomplishment as what Collins is doing for Northwestern. Stallings had a much better record here but I think NW was a bigger hill to climb. I think I would have put Donewald on the list before both though.

WoodlandWarrior

Donewald was a great coach. His teams played tenacious defense. Think of those glory years in the early 80s and how good we were. Our conference was tough back then. Remember Tulsa and Wichita State with Cliff Livingston, Aubrey Sherrod, and Xavier McDaniel? Yet our guys held their own. So impressed back then.

RedbirdSoxFan

BTbird said:
Stallings did great for us here but I'm not sure it as big as accomplishment as what Collins is doing for Northwestern. Stallings had a much better record here but I think NW was a bigger hill to climb. I think I would have put Donewald on the list before both though.

Up to this point Collins has not done more than Stallings did. Stallings took over a bad team and had a pretty good four year run. What, up to this point, has Collins done that makes his coaching career at Northwestern better than Stallings at ISU?

RedbirdSoxFan

WoodlandWarrior said:
Donewald was a great coach. His teams played tenacious defense. Think of those glory years in the early 80s and how good we were. Our conference was tough back then. Remember Tulsa and Wichita State with Cliff Livingston, Aubrey Sherrod, and Xavier McDaniel? Yet our guys held their own. So impressed back then.
Totally agree with Donewald over Collins.

BTbird

RedbirdSoxFan said:
BTbird said:

Up to this point Collins has not done more than Stallings did. Stallings took over a bad team and had a pretty good four year run. What, up to this point, has Collins done that makes his coaching career at Northwestern better than Stallings at ISU?

For the record, I don't think either of them should be on the list. I think rebuilding NW is a much more difficult task than rebuilding us. That is all I was saying. I think there is a lot of hype around NW right now and that is why they are on the list.

Reggie Redbird

There are a lot of NW coaches and at least one UIC coach who shouldn't be on there. There are some ISU ones that should: Melinda Fischer, Stallings or Donewald (at least one of those two guys).

From the record books on Melinda Fischer: one of 18 D-1 softball coaches with 1,000+ wins; one of 9 to have 1,000+ wins at one school. She's in about every Hall of Fame you can imagine. She has led her team to NCAA tournament wins. If she didn't go coach our WBB team for five seasons or consistently play one of the toughest schedules in the country, she would easily have over 1,200 wins.

By the way, Fischer's WBB success here: 113-47 record; five postseason appearances in five seasons - 2 NCAA tourneys, 2 WNITs, AIAW state champs.

RedbirdSoxFan

BTbird said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
BTbird said:

For the record, I don't think either of them should be on the list. I think rebuilding NW is a much more difficult task than rebuilding us. That is all I was saying. I think there is a lot of hype around NW right now and that is why they are on the list.

Check back with me when Northwestern has won back-to-back League & Conference Tournament Championships.

BTbird

RedbirdSoxFan said:
BTbird said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:

Check back with me when Northwestern has won back-to-back League & Conference Tournament Championships.

If it happens, I probably won't check back with you because I really don't give a crap about NW or the tribune's list.

CaliRdBrd

BTbird said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
BTbird said:

Hmmm...

Recruiting to one of the most prestigious schools in the country that is on the lake front AND plays in the Big Ten AND gets front page of the Sports section for hovering around .500. Yeah, that’s a tough job.

WSpringsBird

Will Robinson should have been on the list. First black Division 1 basketball coach. Solid coaching record. Coached at least two NBA players, including Doug Collins. I don't see how Chris Collins' resume compares favorably to Robinson's (not that I have anything against Collins, who is a fine coach). Of course, I am horribly biased!

DannyCooksey

WSpringsBird said:
Will Robinson should have been on the list. First black Division 1 basketball coach. Solid coaching record. Coached at least two NBA players, including Doug Collins. I don't see how Chris Collins' resume compares favorably to Robinson's (not that I have anything against Collins, who is a fine coach). Of course, I am horribly biased!

If Will Robinson is not on that list then the list is a piece of shit. Thanks for saving me time. I won't be reading it now.

PurpleRedbird

DannyCooksey said:
WSpringsBird said:

If Will Robinson is not on that list then the list is a piece of shit. Thanks for saving me time. I won't be reading it now.
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bird in sky

I would have picked any 80's Valley coach like Donawald, Rich Herrin or Dick Versace over Jimmy Collins.

Reggie Redbird

bird in sky said:
I would have picked any 80's Valley coach like Donawald, Rich Herrin or Dick Versace over Jimmy Collins.

The Trib pandered to their subscriber base with this list. If you were really going for the best coaches, and made it without considering subscriber bases, there would be numerous changes.

MadBird

Teddy Greenstein's column in today's Chicago Tribuner talks about some of those who got left out, and specifically mentions Coach Will and Coach Donewald. Suggests Coach Will was in the "first five out". Good work Redbird fans, your complaints were heard!!

Top Bottom