Thursday Night Club

Red Rocker

The Birds only have few ways to stay out of Thursday night.

1. Win the final 2 games, no Thursday. I like this option.

2. If we lose to MSU and beat SIU.
A. Bradley Beats Valpo, all is good.
B. Valpo beats BU and loses to EU, we are good.
C. Valpo beats BU and EU, then BU beats Loyola, we are in Thursday even if UNI loses both their final 2 games in which case we would be in 5 way tie at 9-9 but still not in good shape because we are 0-4 against BU and Valpo in the round robin.
D. If Bradley wins either of their final 2 games, they do not play on Thursday.

3. If we win against MSU but lose to SIU, things are not that good for us. It would help if SIU losses to EU which would mean we tie however I believe we would need BU to lose twice and Valpo would need to lose at home against EU. If there is a multi way tie, the most round robin wins count and since we lost twice to BU and Valpo, we are not in great shape on tie breakers so if either of those teams are tied with us even if a 3 or 4 way tie, we aren’t looking good. Another long shot would be for UNI to lose both games and wind up in a tie with SIU and ISU and hope we have a better NET than both of them.

Bottom line is that winning both games means no Thursday night, otherwise, our best chance is to beat SIU. Good news is that even if we lose against MSU, we have a decent shot to stay out of Thursday with a win at SIU. The not so good news is that it’s tough to win at SIU and we pretty much need to do that to stay out of Thursday.

RedbirdSoxFan

Only games that matter this week:

Illinois State Win vs Missouri State
Illinois State Win @ Southern Illinois
Bradley loss vs Valparaiso or @ Loyola

This happens, and Illinois State not only avoids Thursday, they avoid the #3 vs #6 game @ 8:30 Friday night!!! (Unless Drake & Northern Iowa both lose their last 2 games, then Birds get #3 seed)

Would play #4 vs #5 Friday @ 2:30

Illinois State Win @ Southern and a Valparaiso loss, we avoid Thursday.

gobirds85

Pardon me, but I believe you have the named Thursday night incorrectly. The officially sanctioned name is the bradley invitational. Or if you want to go rogue...the jimmy "worth' less invitational.

It will always suck to bu.

Redbirds4Life

gobirds85 said:
Pardon me, but I believe you have the named Thursday night incorrectly. The officially sanctioned name is the bradley invitational. Or if you want to go rogue...the jimmy "worth' less invitational.

Considering that Bradley is probably not playing on Thursday, we are and oh yeah, we got embarrassed by them this year, I don't think we can really say much about them right now.

MUST win Saturday! Unless something crazy happens, a Saturday win will get us off of Thursday. Hopefully the boys can build off of Sunday's nice win. I'm not holding my breath, considering how this group has looked the last month, but I am hopeful we can just avoid Thursday night. IF they can, ISU has as good a shot as anyone.

gobirds85

Redbirds4Life said:
gobirds85 said:

Considering that Bradley is probably not playing on Thursday, we are and oh yeah, we got embarrassed by them this year, I don't think we can really say much about them right now.

MUST win Saturday! Unless something crazy happens, a Saturday win will get us off of Thursday. Hopefully the boys can build off of Sunday's nice win. I'm not holding my breath, considering how this group has looked the last month, but I am hopeful we can just avoid Thursday night. IF they can, ISU has as good a shot as anyone.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often.

ISU FAN 1

Redbirds4Life said:
gobirds85 said:

Bradley is better than ISU right now. They clearly proved that on the floor this year. Results matter.

If our guys don’t like that truth, then might want to consider rectifying it on their next opportunity.

Top Bottom