Thoughts on Attendance & Season Tickets

Birdswin

It is clearly an issue. It would appear to but a variety of reasons - poor performance over the past several years, Covid, increase in donation requirement in the lower bowl, charging for parking now, lack of depth, experience, and people who know how to sell season tickets, along with a general mood of apathy in getting out of the house.

Several things stood out with the sparse crowd. The lack of business support - that usually takes a lot of personal contact from the Athletic Department at the place of business to encourage support (buying tickets) - even to hand out to employees or customers, if not for themselves. Lack of Faculty support - the faculty season tickets used to fill one entire section - maybe the 20 percent discount and auto-deduction are no longer offered? Offering tickets packages to larger employee groups, not only in town, but out of town for the weekend games - better to have people in attendance at a discount than not. Do we offer a weekend game package to Alumni who live out of town? Offer a Valley game only package? Offer a free ticket to every k-12 kid for every ticket the parent purchases. Contact every HS coach in a 100 mile radius - 25 tickets for $100 to bring the team to a game (Upper Bowl) - if they need more - same price.

It should be all about getting people the Arena - that is how you can sell the program better than worrying about a donation requirement - those will come later. Much easier to sell a recruit with 7-8 thousand versus 4-5 and tell them it used to be better. Sell, Sell, Sell - emails and texts do not get the job done.

RedbirdSoxFan

Had anticipated using the shuttle bus to the game last night. Got to the lot and was surprised to see they were not running the buses. Does anyone know if that was only for last night, or are they not providing shuttle service this season?

SlackBooDom

I do believe that COVID had a lot to do with the drop off. There was a tough window of time where the ending of Muller, the increase in streaming options, then the COVID “break” all sort of happened in one motion. However you feel about Dan Muller, before the drop in wins the crowds really supported the program. It is now a 4-6 year continued drop. Older season ticket buyers passed away without a younger group ready to replace. Can’t say the exact year, but we didn’t used to stream every game or have a TV option so people had to attend. If you are aware of the ongoings of the college athletics world, staff size is an issue. Pay and hours are awful and good workers leave and ISU has struggled to replace that. Kyle and Mark made awful hires, ran out good people, and have had a lasting negative impact with their decisions. ISU is up against a lot right now. Hard to hire, hard to retain, program hasn’t won, can watch every game at home, old fan base, increased costs. The only real solution right now is to put ideas like yours into action and when winning happens they’re ready. I’m not confident we’ll ever get back to 5,000+ on weeknights for a long time… maybe ever.

redbirds2000

Yep. There's an entertainment component to this too for the casual fan. I was thinking back to some previous teams. DAP, MM, Hawkins, Phil Fayne, Tyler Brown, MY, and I'm sure I am missing a few others from the last 10 years. These guys were 6'5" - 6'9" dynamic, skilled, athletes that could score, dunk, and excite the crowd. They won some games too which essentially brings the folks to the games. Does the current team have anyone that is dynamic like that?? Four of those guys were are the same roster at some point! The Phil Fayne lob? Do we have anyone that can pull that off? You could see that coming from a mile away and not a dang thing the defense could do about it. I guess my point is that these guys got the crowd going, they were a selling point for tickets. I'm not sure we have that right now to help draw people in. Just win, too!

FriscoBird90

Along with Covid, a tough economy for some/many, increase in prices, multiple distractions with which to compete for fan attention, and quality of conference play slipping, languishing for more than twenty years in the NCAA tournament desert with a string of far-below-par seasons will tend to put a crimp on demand for tickets at just about any program. On the court, a good first step is to become competitive and begin climbing toward the top of the conference. Doing that will hopefully solve part of the problem while the athletic department works on addressing other issues over which it has at least some, if not large, control relating to entertainment, pricing, promotions, etc. Of course, it would also help if other MVC programs could improve the quality/attractiveness of ISU's opponents and if programs from the "power" conferences would agree to play at least once or twice at Redbird like they did back in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, but those days might be loooong gone. For a "mid-major" conference program such as ISU's, it only takes one or two bad seasons to put a major dent in attendance, and it can take at least twice that long with good-to-great seasons to build it back up. A competitive 17+ win season would be one step in the right direction, and a couple of consecutive 20+ win seasons with at least NIT caliber play immediately after that would be another.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Had anticipated using the shuttle bus to the game last night. Got to the lot and was surprised to see they were not running the buses. Does anyone know if that was only for last night, or are they not providing shuttle service this season?
Yikes, I use that too when I go. I just asked on Twitter. I don't know any one in the AD office to ask.

B

BirdGrad2011

Yep. There's an entertainment component to this too for the casual fan. I was thinking back to some previous teams. DAP, MM, Hawkins, Phil Fayne, Tyler Brown, MY, and I'm sure I am missing a few others from the last 10 years. These guys were 6'5" - 6'9" dynamic, skilled, athletes that could score, dunk, and excite the crowd. They won some games too which essentially brings the folks to the games. Does the current team have anyone that is dynamic like that?? Four of those guys were are the same roster at some point! The Phil Fayne lob? Do we have anyone that can pull that off? You could see that coming from a mile away and not a dang thing the defense could do about it. I guess my point is that these guys got the crowd going, they were a selling point for tickets. I'm not sure we have that right now to help draw people in. Just win, too!l
Are you drunk? High? Outside of one pocket of success recruiting teams of athletes that couldn’t play basketball didn’t work. That’s why we fired and moved on from Muller. This is a program that is trying to wash the Muller stink off itself after he cratered support and the program. Give Pedon a chance and don’t hold attendance against a NAIA school on a Monday night against him or this team.

What the hell is wrong with some of you.

Hamdonger

Yep. There's an entertainment component to this too for the casual fan. I was thinking back to some previous teams. DAP, MM, Hawkins, Phil Fayne, Tyler Brown, MY, and I'm sure I am missing a few others from the last 10 years. These guys were 6'5" - 6'9" dynamic, skilled, athletes that could score, dunk, and excite the crowd. They won some games too which essentially brings the folks to the games. Does the current team have anyone that is dynamic like that?? Four of those guys were are the same roster at some point! The Phil Fayne lob? Do we have anyone that can pull that off? You could see that coming from a mile away and not a dang thing the defense could do about it.
I appreciate this post very much. I've always believed...while winning and breeding that winning culture comes first...as a coaching staff and particularly the head coach, the entertainment value should always be kept in mind. People are paying good money to come see you play. Why not provide some entertainment along the way?

To answer your question, yes we do have a couple of those players on the roster. Darius Burford is an athletic player who, over the last year and a half, has shown that he can make the athletic plays. Tyler Pence, I believe, will be one of those players. Kendall Lewis brings energy to every game. Dexie (Malachi) gets up for his rebounding - and the thing that stands out for me in his rebounding - is his timing of the rebound.

This is one complaint I have about Ryan. We hardly EVER look to push the ball. We hardly EVER have a creative out bounds play, whether baseline or sideline...and that reflects in our totally suck@$$ out of bounds conversion rate into scoring. There's no getting around it. Then we have a kid like Burford. I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the world. But he is one of the few players who will get our fans off their seats. Why in the world do we not set him up for a backdoor lob? At least once a game?? Why in the world do we not give him very many opportunities to score in the break? For the love of pete we need ENERGY in that arena and the coaching staff, in my opinion, is not doing much to bring that kind of energy into the game. Redbird was as dead as I've ever seen it on Mon night.

The IWU/ISU game demonstrates this community will show up if we offer a product...although let's not get too excited about 6500 fans. I say...right now, anyway...for the coaching staff to get creative in helping the crowd to hold their collective breath.

Hamdonger

Are you drunk? High? Outside of one pocket of success recruiting teams of athletes that couldn’t play basketball didn’t work. That’s why we fired and moved on from Muller. This is a program that is trying to wash the Muller stink off itself after he cratered support and the program. Give Pedon a chance and don’t hold attendance against a NAIA school on a Monday night against him or this team.

What the hell is wrong with some of you.
What the hell is wrong with you?? The Arena was DEAD Monday night. As dead as I've ever witnessed over 35 yrs. Enjoy poking your needles into the Dan Muller voodoo doll. Did you, like, orgasm?

FYI I'm GLAD to have Coach Pedon here. Anxiously anticipating improvement this season.

B

BirdGrad2011

I appreciate this post very much. I've always believed...while winning and breeding that winning culture comes first...as a coaching staff and particularly the head coach, the entertainment value should always be kept in mind. People are paying good money to come see you play. Why not provide some entertainment along the way?

To answer your question, yes we do have a couple of those players on the roster. Darius Burford is an athletic player who, over the last year and a half, has shown that he can make the athletic plays. Tyler Pence, I believe, will be one of those players. Kendall Lewis brings energy to every game. Dexie (Malachi) gets up for his rebounding - and the thing that stands out for me in his rebounding - is his timing of the rebound.

This is one complaint I have about Ryan. We hardly EVER look to push the ball. We hardly EVER have a creative out bounds play, whether baseline or sideline...and that reflects in our totally suck@$$ out of bounds conversion rate into scoring. There's no getting around it. Then we have a kid like Burford. I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the world. But he is one of the few players who will get our fans off their seats. Why in the world do we not set him up for a backdoor lob? At least once a game?? Why in the world do we not give him very many opportunities to score in the break? For the love of pete we need ENERGY in that arena and the coaching staff, in my opinion, is not doing much to bring that kind of energy into the game. Redbird was as dead as I've ever seen it on Mon night.

The IWU/ISU game demonstrates this community will show up if we offer a product...although let's not get too excited about 6500 fans. I say...right now, anyway...for the coaching staff to get creative in helping the crowd to hold their collective breath.
This is the dumbest shit I’ve read. Ryan Pedon is here to win games. He’s not here to draw up a gimmick play to get people out of the seat for 30 seconds in a 15 pt loss.

DaveBird10

My thoughts on attendance is simple, just win baby. If you want the average fan to spend $$ to go or the townies or people that live in the area that might be looking for something to do come to games it starts with a winning product and we have to get wins for fans and people like that to get excited about. Wins vs other teams that people have heard about and good mid majors, not wins vs a D3 school or an NAIA program. That all starts Saturday @SLU, winning @SLU imo could be a big step in getting some people back in the building.

P

Popsto4

I think Pedon has done a good job trying to get the community involved with the program and visa versa. At the end of the day it’s gonna take winning to fill the arena on a consistent basis. Having an athletic team or not don’t mount to a hill of beans if winning doesn’t come from it. As you know I haven’t caught to many games because of work but, coaches coach, players play and fans fill the seats If you’re a die hard fan for any sports team you’re there no matter what.

stats

If all games were general admission and free parking at a first come basis, I can almost assure you we would get more energetic crowds along with better attenance. We all know that this is unfair to the donors, not to mention it being unrealistic financially. Maybe there is some compromise in the middle, at least until we get good again.

SlackBooDom

There can be some middle ground here. Muller wasn’t as bad as people portray. We need entertainment on the floor, but ultimately winning is the best entertainment. Ryan Pedon is here to win games, but did lose 11 of 14 to end the season. All of this factors into attendance. There’s plenty of problems contributing and all viewpoints have some merit and some personal bias. My opinion is ISU overvalued their MBB product. Tickets cost too much. Donations are too high. Parking is too expensive. They are rigid in their ability to make change. People are speaking with dollars and they aren’t responding.

GOP_Redbird

2016-2017 Season. RBA was buzzing the latter half of the season. The UCF game was rocking.

That's the winning it takes for people to attend a MVC Basketball game. People, especially students, have better things to do when they stink.

Adunk33

Staff member
Yeah, having an "exciting brand" of basketball is cool and all but if you're losing most of your games, is it worth it? This board clamored for years that Muller needed to recruit more "basketball players" as opposed teaching "athletes" how to play. We're two games into year 2 of the Pedon era. Lets see what he can do before calling for him to upend his recruiting philosophy for entertainment purposes.

As others have said, winning will get butts back in the seats. If its a boring brand of basketball at that point, I think we'll all live with it.

That said, the fans that do go, man. Be more engaged. It's a what comes first situation. Chicken or egg? Do the players have to bring the energy so the fans have some or should the fans bring some energy that will impact the players? Probably some of both, but little things fans could do to improve the atmosphere. Stand during the intro video, during the fight song, player intros. The whole "stand until the opponent scores" is such a small ask that so many fans refuse to do. I don't get it. Why go to a game just to sit there? Oh well, seems to be a topic every year. I'll look forward to the Horton game when fans are engaged.

FWIW, I do think this team plays with energy. Hustle plays and diving for loose balls has been high in the first two outings. I think they'll be fun to watch but to some folks chagrin, there may not be anyone taking off from the FT line to throw down a dunk.

Phantom

Attendance will go back up with winning. Always does. We've seen it happen before. String some wins together, get some buzz going on campus and around town, and people show up.

All factors for declining attendance mentioned above are correct. But there's one more that's both a byproduct of all those reasons AND an ongoing hurdle: gameday atmosphere. Ours has dwindled severely and that can easily put people off who are expecting a real college basketball game. We have a DJ playing instead of the band, and what students do show up sit down and pay more attention to their phones. So what happens when students bring their friends to games or someone shows up for the first time? What impression will they get? Chances are it, "oh, THIS is IT?" It's not impressive or exciting. That has an adverse effect. Students and casual fans alike probably have expectations of what college basketball should be: loud bands, students jumping around, engaged fans, big energy in the building...and we haven't had that for awhile now, with the exception of the Horton game.

The good news is thats all fixable. Just win and do some exciting stuff.

Top Bottom