The battle for the 14th/15th seed...

gobirds85

is what it's all about at this juncture of the season. Correct me if I am wrong but does any Valley team have any win of note yet? Has anyone beat anyone in the top 50? 75? 100? Can anyone remember such a horrific start for the conference as a whole? The home losses by valley teams are putrid.

In Semi-Pro it was the Flint Bowl. In the valley it will be the St. Louis Bowl.

When does volleyball season start?

ricohill

The MVC has three top 100 RPI wins.

Evansville over Texas Southern (81)
Bradley over Penn State (84)
SIU over St. Louis (93)

gobirds85

ricohill said:
The MVC has three top 100 RPI wins.

Evansville over Texas Southern (81)
Bradley over Penn State (84)
SIU over St. Louis (93)

Thanks, Rico. I was too lazy to look that information up.

ricohill

MVC is now currently 2-20 (9% winning percentage) against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams.

ISU FAN 1

gobirds85 said:
is what it's all about at this juncture of the season. Correct me if I am wrong but does any Valley team have any win of note yet? Has anyone beat anyone in the top 50? 75? 100? Can anyone remember such a horrific start for the conference as a whole? The home losses by valley teams are putrid.

In Semi-Pro it was the Flint Bowl. In the valley it will be the St. Louis Bowl.

When does volleyball season start?

https://youtu.be/A9pFmkeCtNA

Chi-bird

Despite Barry Hinson’s unsubstantiated boosterism, the reality is that this league may very well have hit rock bottom. I’m not sure how much more we’re gonna slide, but I’m hoping for a recovery in the near future.

Reggie Redbird

Chi-bird said:
Despite Barry Hinson’s unsubstantiated boosterism, the reality is that this league may very well have hit rock bottom. I’m not sure how much more we’re gonna slide, but I’m hoping for a recovery in the near future.

At what point do the University Presidents and ADs look for Doug Elgin to retire? He's been the commissioner since 1988. There have been some good things during his tenure and some bad. Unfortunately things are not trending in a positive direction for the conference, and perhaps it's time to have a new look.

As I see this, it doesn't appear his slots on committees related to MBB really help the conference: "He is currently a member of the National Invitation Tournament Committee, and the NABC’s Ad Hoc Committee on NCAA Selection, Seeding and Bracketing."

Last year we had 0 NIT teams. In 2017, we had 1 NIT team. In 2016, we had 0 teams. So in the last three years, we have 1 NIT team - a tournament where our Commissioner is on the selection committee. That gives us very little exposure to play postseason games on national networks. It's already tough for MVC teams to make the NCAA, but to not even have a shot at the NIT? Perhaps it's best he steps off the committee, regardless of when he retires/is retired as commissioner, because he certainly isn't doing anything to help the MVC get postseason bids.

RedbirdSoxFan

Reggie Redbird said:
Chi-bird said:

At what point do the University Presidents and ADs look for Doug Elgin to retire? He's been the commissioner since 1988. There have been some good things during his tenure and some bad. Unfortunately things are not trending in a positive direction for the conference, and perhaps it's time to have a new look.

As I see this, it doesn't appear his slots on committees related to MBB really help the conference: "He is currently a member of the National Invitation Tournament Committee, and the NABC’s Ad Hoc Committee on NCAA Selection, Seeding and Bracketing."

Last year we had 0 NIT teams. In 2017, we had 1 NIT team. In 2016, we had 0 teams. So in the last three years, we have 1 NIT team - a tournament where our Commissioner is on the selection committee. That gives us very little exposure to play postseason games on national networks. It's already tough for MVC teams to make the NCAA, but to not even have a shot at the NIT?

Not totally disagreeing with you, but at what point does Doug Elgin have anything to do with the ass whippings that teams in the MVC have taken this past month? if we win games we should be winning, and schedule (and win) games that give us an opportunity to get an at-large bid, then we can give our commissioner a reason to fight for us getting more teams into the NCAA Tournament & NIT.

Yes Illinois State went 17-1 a couple years ago, but do you really think they were a lock to get an at-large. Embarrassed twice by Wichita State (one being the conference championship game on national TV), losses to bad Murray State & Tulsa teams, and zero good Non-Conference wins.

Chi-bird

Reggie Redbird said:
Chi-bird said:

Last year we had 0 NIT teams. In 2017, we had 1 NIT team. In 2016, we had 0 teams. So in the last three years, we have 1 NIT team - a tournament where our Commissioner is on the selection committee. That gives us very little exposure to play postseason games on national networks. It's already tough for MVC teams to make the NCAA, but to not even have a shot at the NIT? Perhaps it's best he steps off the committee, regardless of when he retires/is retired as commissioner, because he certainly isn't doing anything to help the MVC get postseason bids.

That’s a good question and one that I’m definitely not qualified to answer. For one, I just am not sure what the job description is for a conference commissioners. Is the biggest priority to ensure the well-being of the student athletes? Is it to reduce risk and give guidance while it’s membership/universities go after revenue opportunities? OBviously there are economic, exposure, and competition responsibilities.

That said, It does seem as if opportunities to lead in that kind of position does deserve to be spread around more often than it is. There’s only so many conference commissioner positions in the world and there are a number of bright minds that perhaps deserve a crack at leading a conference. 1988 is a looong time ago, and while I’m sure there is great experience that Elgin has, I can’t help but think most everyone’s performance would have plateaued by now.

ricohill

To me Elgin lost my confidence when he got rid of the Janko rule for scheduling. You can't beat good teams if you don't play them. I know coaches want to pad their record with wins, but for the overall health of the league you've gotta go out, be aggressive in scheduling, and play good teams wherever they will play you. Going 1-2 against power 5 teams is better than not playing any.

CaliRdBrd

ricohill said:
To me Elgin lost my confidence when he got rid of the Janko rule for scheduling. You can't beat good teams if you don't play them. I know coaches want to pad their record with wins, but for the overall health of the league you've gotta go out, be aggressive in scheduling, and play good teams wherever they will play you. Going 1-2 against power 5 teams is better than not playing any.

What rule did Elgin get rid of? Seems like Muller has scheduled much better teams thank Jank ever did (Kentucky, Maryland, St, Joes, SDSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, TCU, etc)

CaliRdBrd

ricohill said:
MVC is now currently 2-20 (9% winning percentage) against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams.

By the beard of Zeus, that's horrendous!

RedbirdSoxFan

ricohill said:

This is not Doug Elgin’s fault. And this is why only one team will be representing the Missouri Valley Conference in the NCAA Tournament. And possibly another year without an NIT bid.

ricohill

MVC RPI and NET

Average RPI ranking of teams 163
Average NET ranking of teams 165

RPI vs. Q1 AND Q2
0-7 vs. Q1 - 2-9 against Q2 = 2-16 (12.5%)

NET vs Q1 and Q2
0-9 vs Q1 - 3-11 vs Q2 = 3-20 (13%)

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
CaliRdBrd said:
ricohill said:

What rule did Elgin get rid of? Seems like Muller has scheduled much better teams thank Jank ever did (Kentucky, Maryland, St, Joes, SDSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, TCU, etc)
The MVC had a minimum SOS rule in place for non-conference games for a while. It lasted a couple of years and then was removed.

Jsnhbe1Birds

ricohill said:
MVC RPI and NET

Average RPI ranking of teams 163
Average NET ranking of teams 165

RPI vs. Q1 AND Q2
0-7 vs. Q1 - 2-9 against Q2 = 2-16 (12.5%)

NET vs Q1 and Q2
0-9 vs Q1 - 3-11 vs Q2 = 3-20 (13%)

What I take from this is virtually the same but the NET gives mid-majors more chances against Q1/Q2 than RPI does which in fact is better for mid-majors. useless if you can't convert on those chances, however.

SgtHulka

isuquinndog said:
CaliRdBrd said:
ricohill said:

The MVC had a minimum SOS rule in place for non-conference games for a while. It lasted a couple of years and then was removed.
They then converted it to an SOS for tie breakers, which they also abandoned I think

birdlife

tie breaker is now RPI, right? at least it was as of a couple years ago i think.

Top Bottom