Sun-Times article about local recruiting

WSpringsBird

I really love this one. I didn't see it posted elsewhere, but apologies if it's already up somewhere on the site.

Seems like Pedon is targeting some top Illinois high-schoolers--and he seemingly knows how to interact with the media.

crazzymark

I am so looking forward to watching all those top prospects from Leroy, downs,taylorville, Quincy and other Illinois bb hotbeds . they would of gone to eiu, wiu, uof springfield. Bonus.

TBS_20

I think he will be successful. Unfortunately we don't $4-million to keep him around. But, first we get to experience the Sweet 16

TBS_20

Then Judson gets the job. Noooo. But, I fear, yes.

Birgs

I loved in the Mazo podcast about how Pat Kennedy was "slimey" (he was) and as a nephew that grew up a DePaul fan, still kind of kept cheering for them when except when we weren't beating ther as at Kiel Center that one year. I also kinda going to be pulling for Yak. other than that, screw IllANOY - let them do the national recruiting thing. I used to be ho-hum on the local thing. I spent 20 years in B-N. I've been back in Chicago the past 5. If ISU can re-establish itself as THE destination for non-P5 immediates, the next LeRoy/Rico/P-Lee/Osiris and Kyle/Dodie/Tarise who would be Big East/B10 guys will be quintessentially RA.

MadBird

Great to hear. I've been griping for years about the "neglect" of in-state talent, especially in this century, and there've been a few exceptions - Paris Lee jumps out, Malik - but good to hear Pedon is getting after it. We only need a couple a year to have 1/2 of 1/3 of the team "local guys", that gives the right flavor.

jbird

Quincy like the Douglas brothers and Michael Payne? How about Illiopolis' Rick Lamb? I think Kyle Cartmill was from Quincy.
How about a guy from a town with a population of barely 1,000 who went to a Division III school and became an NBA All-Star?

SgtHulka

I am so looking forward to watching all those top prospects from Leroy, downs,taylorville, Quincy and other Illinois bb hotbeds . they would of gone to eiu, wiu, uof springfield. Bonus.
“I think early on we want to send a message that we are serious about recruiting the state” Pedon said. “Our actions should indicate we are pretty serious about recruiting the state. Talk is cheap.”

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, all the small town names being thrown around are either grandfathers or could be grandfathers so.....not a great argument.

Get the best talent from where ever. Illinois, Alaska, North Dakota, Africa, where ever.

High school player Doug Collins doesn't come to ISU in 2022 with every game streamed on the internet and highlight videos on YouTube. Go find the best player for your system regardless of location.

Adunk33

Staff member
I mean, all the small town names being thrown around are either grandfathers or could be grandfathers so.....not a great argument.

Get the best talent from where ever. Illinois, Alaska, North Dakota, Africa, where ever.

High school player Doug Collins doesn't come to ISU in 2022 with every game streamed on the internet and highlight videos on YouTube. Go find the best player for your system regardless of location.
I agree, geography shouldn't hold anyone back from goin after a player, but I think we can collectively admit that almost exclusively recruiting the south east the past decade or so hasn't been the best. When you hear about HS basketball nationally, Illinois is always brought up as one of the hotbeds and it was generally ignored by the previous staff. I ran the numbers in another thread somewhere that I'll try to find but out of high school in 10 years, Muller brought in something like 5 freshman from the state. There were a handful of others that "came home" when he brought them in as transfers (Milik, Chas, Jaycee).

The point is, the Midwest has great basketball players that have never considered or heard of Illinois State. For whatever reason, the previous staff chose not to prioritize the region. Why wouldn't a staff see value in recruiting close to home? It'd be more cost effective to travel and possible to see multiple teams/events in one day. Think about if there is an AAU tournament a coach drives to in Milwaukee. On the way back, he could stop in Chicago and poke his head into some high school gyms and still make it home for dinner and all the extra spend was some gas money. If you drive down to STL, you can see what downstate has to offer.

I'm not saying to exclusively recruit the MW but it completely makes sense why it should be a priority. Also, if you get kids that are closer geographically to the university, you're going to sell more tickets from their family and friends who are more apt to make a 2.5 hour drive than a 2.5 hour flight. I look at the Sandage signing as an opportunity to sell some more tickets. His former teammates that are in the area, coaches, extended family, can all come watch him play at Redbird instead of having to go to McComb:sick:

B

BirdGrad2011

I really don’t understand why so many of you are equating recruiting locally solely to small towns. Chicago is one of the best basketball hotbeds in the world. St Louis, Indianapolis, Memphis, Milwaukee all produce elite talent. Zero reason that the prior staff ignored those areas as much as they did.

MadBird

Repeating myself - but it doesn't have to be 100% Illinois kids, but your "core" should be from your home state. So it'll vary year to year, but you have, half your kids, give or take, "local". Indy, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Iowa. Then you pick up, especially in the portal era, some kids from here or there looking for an "adventure". No different than that student body - core from the state, mix in some "nearby" folks from neighbor states, and then you've got your national and international recruits.

Look at successful Big 10 schools, historically - Indiana, Iowa, Mich St. and Mich, OSU, Purdue - and over the long haul they have built teams around home state kids. Wisconsin's been living off Minnesota and Illinois kids for years. All those Big 10 teams catch an Illinois kid here and there.

SgtHulka

The world isn't black or white. Much like politics there is a large swath in the middle. Nothing wrong with prioritizing the local crop. Nothing by the staff has said that will be exclusive, and so far it hasnt been But he did throw down the gauntlet to local coaches that the program will be searching here in the Midwest primarily, and said as much. Gotta redevelop that relationship.

“I think early on we want to send a message that we are serious about recruiting the state” Pedon said. “Our actions should indicate we are pretty serious about recruiting the state. Talk is cheap.”

He wants to let the state know we'll be primary, but once again you don't have to run straight to, Leroy is our sole feeder program, it's the end of the world. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom