Street and Smith and Athlon

rdt99

I bought both publications today and we are getting some love. Athlon has us as #14 nationally and Street and Smith has us at #23 (they show us as an at large pick for FCS playoffs). Once again the conference will be very very tough. Guess who is #1 pick in the country?

Total Red

Staff member
I've tried to maintain my tradition of buying a preseason college football magazine (usually Street and Smith's) but it's hard to find an excuse to do so. If you're an avid Redbird Football fan and you already read what Randy Reinhardt writes in the Pantagraph and on his twitter acct then you're not likely to learn anything new in the few paragraphs he writes for Street and Smith's. I've bought the magazine for many years to read about other teams, particularly the rival MVFC teams but the race towards earlier and earlier release dates is destroying the content. In my lifetime college football annuals have gone from publication dates in early August to July to June and now May. That's ok for some FBS teams because you're still getting a post-spring report but FCS programs like ours can change dramatically over the late spring and summer with impact transfers like Romeo McKnight and more. If Street and Smith's wants to start publishing a 2nd edition in August that can be taken seriously by including recent additions and subtractions I'll make my purchase but they aren't likely to do that. So instead I'll thumb through it and put it back on the shelf and when they lose long-time buyers like me it may just be a matter of time before it's not on the shelf at all.

Redbird28

The only college football magazine I read at all is Phil Steele's College Football Preview. In the past couple of years he has expanded his FCS coverage as well, although I have yet to spend that money to check it out. There is so much information in the main magazine it's ridiculous. So, I could only imagine what type of info he puts out on the FCS front.

rdt99

I agree that all the pubs are printing too soon. It's like a race to see who can release for sale first. Street and Smith is the best and I want to read about all of our opponents also. For example Colorado State is highly regarded and picked for a Bowl game. North Dakota State is once again picked number one in the conference and nationally. South Dakota State is also highly regarded.

TheTruth

While I'm sure Street & Smith's magazine is far from perfect I think they have a good idea of what types of efforts produce results which ones don't. If they're not doing something you think they should it might not be as effective as you think. You're not in college athletics magazine publishing.

fourthandshort

many forces in play. print media in general is losing lot of traction ... along with attention spans ... not a coincidence. Journalism has turned into, who can create the best sound bite .. 10 seconds or less .. 140 characters or less .. 2 scroll bars along bottom of screen, along with other inserts .. 4 things going at once on your TV screen. Anything to keep a viewer.

But wait .. there is hope .. , Twitter is now allowing 280 characters ... that will surely solve this mess !!!

Race to bottom .. then finally, tide will turn.

:? :? :x

p.s. personal record for metaphors for me !!!!

Total Red

Staff member
TheTruth said:
While I'm sure Street & Smith's magazine is far from perfect I think they have a good idea of what types of efforts produce results which ones don't.

There's actually some truth to that statement. Street and Smith's knows that you need to get the product out early to make sales so they don't really care about my concerns because they're going for the larger FBS market. Even so the future for hard copy football annuals is tenuous at best. There's so much real-time information available on-line the print magazines are slowly becoming obsolete. The effort is there but the interest is fading. Sometimes you just have to admit the truth that football fans aren't all that interested in what you're trying to sell them.

SgtHulka

fourthandshort said:
many forces in play. print media in general is losing lot of traction ... along with attention spans ... not a coincidence. Journalism has turned into, who can create the best sound bite .. 10 seconds or less .. 140 characters or less .. 2 scroll bars along bottom of screen, along with other inserts .. 4 things going at once on your TV screen. Anything to keep a viewer.

But wait .. there is hope .. , Twitter is now allowing 280 characters ... that will surely solve this mess !!!

could you repost this? I checked my phone halfway through reading it and may have missed your point.

fourthandshort

SgtHulka said:
fourthandshort said:

could you repost this? I checked my phone halfway through reading it and may have missed your point.

must have been yet another, BREAKING NEWS STORY, that distracted you ... which only happens about 10 times during every 30 minute newscast on TV ... about news .. amazing coincidence that local news can have so much BREAKING NEWs during news cast ... it's almost like the criminals and weather wait for the news to come on to then do their BREAKING NEWS incident.

I'm just glad all these local weathermen have entire STORM TEAMS to teach us all how to be meteorologists every time the barometer moves.

But I digress ....

cpacmel

I’m gonna plant this here.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/projected-fcs-playoff-qualifiers-2018
Illinois State (at-large bid)

The Redbirds may wind up lamenting a season-opening game against in-state NAIA member St. Xavier, which won't help their playoff resume.

Total Red

Staff member
rdt99 said:
I bought both publications today and we are getting some love. Athlon has us as #14 nationally and Street and Smith has us at #23

rdt99 - where did you find them? I've checked a couple places so far and Lindy's was the one on the shelf.

DannyCooksey

cpacmel said:

The Redbirds may wind up lamenting a season-opening game against in-state NAIA member St. Xavier, which won't help their playoff resume.

so frustrating. seriously need to beat them by 50

Adunk33

Staff member
DannyCooksey said:
cpacmel said:

Is that the line? Ill take The Birds and the Over. If SXU scores once we should be embarrassed.

Redbirdwarrior

If ISU wins 7 D1 games and SXU, they are in. But 6 games in this conference is no joke. (Im assuming EIU should be a W)

Prediction:

SXU- W
EIU- W
@CSU- L
@MoSt- W
WIU- toss up
SIU- W
@NDSU- L
SDSU- L
@UNI- W
@InSt- W
YSU- toss up

I think WIU and YSU are complete toss ups. If we can beat Colorado St, it will eliminate any negative that comes from the SXU game. Non D-1 W plus FBS road W = 2 FCS non con wins IMO.

fourthandshort

Flip results for SDSU and UNI .. then put YSU in win column because I think we will have figured out defense by then. But agree WIU is toss up and I can see a team like SIU sneaking up on us ... having little to do with our failure to show up in Carbondale last year. Both are earlier in season and I just don't have 100% confidence in our defense like I do with out offense.

Holy sh-t .. did I really just say that about a Spack team ???????

Reggie Redbird

DannyCooksey said:
cpacmel said:

It should be a minimum of 8 TDs or more. If you're going to schedule an absolute joke of a game, you are going to have expectations you win this type of game by 60-70.

rdt99

I live in Decatur and I shop at Kroger. They also had Lindy's out as well. They aren't giving us much love.

StLRedbird

Reggie Redbird said:
DannyCooksey said:
cpacmel said:

It should be a minimum of 8 TDs or more. If you're going to schedule an absolute joke of a game, you are going to have expectations you win this type of game by 60-70.
I really hate to see financially-motivated decisions make it harder on our guys. Apparently a decision was made that we could not take the pain of two straight seasons with five home games? Was that it? A H&H could have been returned with a home game in 2019. Really hard to see this game in any other light.

Sanantoniobird

Reggie Redbird said:
DannyCooksey said:
cpacmel said:

I just don’t see that happening, it’s not Spack’s style to embarrass teams (unless he’s decided they deserve it). The only scenario that see us winning by this much is if the defense scores 5 times.

Adunk33

Staff member
Sanantoniobird said:
Reggie Redbird said:
DannyCooksey said:

I just don’t see that happening, it’s not Spack’s style to embarrass teams (unless he’s decided they deserve it). The only scenario that see us winning by this much is if the defense scores 5 times.

As Reggie alluded to, if you are going to put this garbage team on the schedule, you need to at the very least give the fans something to get excited about rather than getting up by 3 scores and putting in the backups and running the ball up the middle the entire second half. Like I said before, we should be embarrassed if SXU scores at all.

In these tune-up games recently we have:
Beat Butler 45-0 d1
Valpo 53-13
Morgan State 67-14
Mississippi Valley State 62-0
Dayton 56-14

So on average: 56.6-8.2

All of those schools are at least FCS (right?). This isn't even D3. Its NAIA. We should score 80+, they should score 0. Give the fans something since the ball was seriously dropped with this game. I hope we aren't paying them too much to come play here.

Top Bottom