Stallings...

Phantom

...just canned by PITT. Buyout supposedly between 7.5M-9.4M :shock:

MadBird

Kinda figgered this was coming, it didn't go well at Pitt.

Not sure about him and MSU, may be a good fit. I'd guess he'd like to shoot higher, but the recent record isn't that great. Sub .500 4 of the last 6 years. 57 years old. May be time for a TV gig, especially with that nice buyout.

He's had a pretty good run.

BTbird

isuquinndog said:
It's a joke. He isn't going from SEC/ACC to MVC unless he wants to.

Not saying DM is the reason for Stallings success but it's interesting the difference is on how successful Stallings teams have been with Muller as a player/assistant vs when Muller was not apart of Stallings program. I'm not convinced that teams higher than the MVC will be that interested. I'm also not convinced that KS will care with his 9.4 million buyout. Might be perfect time to move into a TV analysts role.

RedbirdSoxFan

Wasn't left a very good hand when he took the job @ Pitt. He brought in a good recruiting class last year. He started mostly freshman. Will be a good team in the next few years. Too bad he won't have the opportunity to coach them. However, if he wants to help out an old friend and refer any four (or all) of these freshman, Coach Muller & Illinois State fans would gladly appreciate it:

6-1 PG ESPN 3* Verbal Commits 4* Marcus Carr
6-5 SG ESPN 3* Verbal Commits 3.5* Parker Stewart
6-6 SF ESPN NR Verbal Commits 3* Shamiel Stevenson
6-10 C ESPN 3* Verbal Commits 2.7* Terrell Brown

Could all start with 3 years eligibility left starting 2019-20 after next years seniors are all graduated. (Hey, I can dream)

Redbirdwarrior

Dude is now sitting on $10,000,000. He and his family can live a VERY high lifestyle for that for the rest of his and his children's lives. I suspect Stallings will end up doing something with CBB Broadcasts as an analyst. He is too good of a coach to have his 25 years experience ignored.

Sorry you got the axe, coach, but at least you got PAID.

Hamdonger

Gotta tell ya though. One of the greatest headlines ever.

* Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings won't be suspended after threatening to 'kill' freshman *

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/vanderbilt_coach_kevin_stallin_2.html

Redbirdwarrior

Stallings is a hell of a recruiter, but 0-19 in conference is going to keep him out of any P5 job for awhile. I can MAYBE see him heading to fill a hole when Arizona fires Miller (just because they are going to have to, right?) or possibly heading to Ole Miss, but beyond that, I've got nothing. Maybe an AAC school?

But his days in the Valley and below are well over.

Reggie Redbird

If he wants to work but not have the grind of coaching, he could easily get a contract somewhere as a fundraiser, whether it be here or more likely, at Vandy. Alternatively, he could do studio work or color for college basketball games, starting with a week from now.

I'm sure his people are looking at other coaching jobs which is why his people and Pitt are still "negotiating" versus him telling them to pound sand and to cut his $9.4 mil check. Perhaps he has a liquidating damages provision they want waived to where, at the end of the day, he comes away with the opportunity to make money money than any salary offsetting his Pitt buyout.

bombay

BTbird said:
isuquinndog said:
It's a joke. He isn't going from SEC/ACC to MVC unless he wants to.

Not saying DM is the reason for Stallings success but it's interesting the difference is on how successful Stallings teams have been with Muller as a player/assistant vs when Muller was not apart of Stallings program. I'm not convinced that teams higher than the MVC will be that interested. I'm also not convinced that KS will care with his 9.4 million buyout. Might be perfect time to move into a TV analysts role.

He didn't have much success on the court or the recruiting trail after Dan left. I think Dan brought a lot to the table.

Tpguy

I like the guy, but don't think he has the personality for TV

SgtHulka

Tpguy said:

Back when we won the MVC Tourny they had the coaches for the team's playing the next night in the championship on the news sports extra for extended interviews side by side. Alford kicked back on a couch in a maroon sweat suit looking dapper and cool. Stallings sitting up stiff and nervous in a check pattern suit that was screwing with the camera lens making his bald head stand out even more. Sad

Hamdonger

SgtHulka said:
Tpguy said:

Back when we won the MVC Tourny they had the coaches for the team's playing the next night in the championship on the news sports extra for extended interviews side by side. Alford kicked back on a couch in a maroon sweat suit looking dapper and cool. Stallings sitting up stiff and nervous in a check pattern suit that was screwing with the camera lens making his bald head stand out even more. Sad

Does Alford have a geeetar??
https://youtu.be/b-mwna-i6_w

Top Bottom