Southern Illinois - 01/29/2023 - 2:00 PM - ESPN+

ISU86

The Redbirds start the first of a two game homestand as the Salukis come to CEFCU Arena (the Salukis won the first match-up at Banterra Center, 69-57).

SIU is tied for first place in conference at 9-2 (17-5 overall) whereas ISU is tied for ninth place at 3-9 in conference (8-14 overall).

The Dawgs are led in scoring, rebounding and assists by Marcus Domask (16.9, 6.0, 3.5); Lance Jones (14.1) also averages double-digits. The 'birds are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (11.4, 2.2) with Kendall Lewis leading in rebounding (6.8); Seneca Knight (11.0) and Lewis (10.0) also average double-digits. The Salukis generally go ten whereas the Redbirds generally go eleven deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Southern Illinois (104) toughest opponent was Oklahoma State (47, win), and their worst loss was to Southern Indiana (219); Illinois State (261) toughest opponent was Bradley (78, loss), their best win was against Belmont (117) and their worst loss was to Valparaiso (289).

At this point in the conference season, there are more common opponents than not (both teams played and defeated Chicago State in the non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds have an advantage in free-throw and three-point shooting, offensive rebounding and blocked shots.

SIU will have an extra day of rest, and only four players (of the ten that played) exceeded twenty minutes on the court in their last game, whereas ISU had six (of the nine that played) exceed twenty minutes (with four (Luke Kasubke, Knight, Lewis, Malachi Poindexter) playing over thirty-seven minutes, longer than any SIU player (Domask logged the most)). Fatigue will definitely be a factor to monitor.

We could eek out a win or lose by twenty-plus points and neither would necessarily be a surprise.

Dawgs 66, 'birds 65

redbirdfan16

Southern Illinois fans will not be few. Hopefully, the students show up and are loud on a Sunday. After watching the Murray State vs SIU game last week, their student section is noticeably more rambunctious this year than others. Should be an exciting matchup.

RedbirdSoxFan

Southern Illinois fans will not be few. Hopefully, the students show up and are loud on a Sunday. After watching the Murray State vs SIU game last week, their student section is noticeably more rambunctious this year than others. Should be an exciting matchup.

I did not enjoy listening to the dogpound section in the upper bowl at Redbird Arena as the dogs pounded the Birds last year. Hopefully will not be a repeat Sunday.

Rollbirds

I hope I’m wrong and students, as well as other fans, do show up but our record and the fact that the game was poorly scheduled at the same time as the NFC Championship football game I’m not counting on a good ISU crowd.

cpacmel

I hope I’m wrong and students, as well as other fans, do show up but our record and the fact that the game was poorly scheduled at the same time as the NFC Championship football game I’m not counting on a good ISU crowd.
Agreed! MVC scheduled 3 games all for 2pm. I can understand the Belmont / Drake game being scheduled then because it's on ESPN2. The conference needs to learn not to go head to head with major sports events like the NFL play-offs. Also they would be smart to stagger MVC games on a given day, as viewership would be increased simply be allowing conference fans to watch other MVC games.

Phantom

Feels like we always have that Sunday afternoon game that either goes head to head with the Bears or Championship Sunday. It's dumb. But sadly, it probably won't affect this one. No current student remembers how good & intense SIU games used to be and it's a pretty hard sell at this point getting regular fans there on a Sunday afternoon for a bad team on a huge NFL day. We may even get outnumbered in our own building - and watch, we'll win it.

Last edited:

Seven

I wonder if the tv partners mandate 3 games at that time and then they choose the best one.

It’s beyond ridiculous otherwise.

SlackBooDom

UNI killed Salukis on the glass. We do what we did against Bradley and ISU wins by 5.

B

BirdGrad2011

Quite the speculation by someone that doesn’t provide any information. The team account breaks more than he does. Bet you he never reports anything on Offutt this week.

Top Bottom