South Dakota Coyotes @ ISU Redbirds - Homecoming, 10.5 point underdogs at home

Chi-bird

Homecoming week is always a special week in Normal and this week is no different. The team returns home for the first time since beating Indiana State on Sept. 30th. Although it's only been a few weeks, it sure feels like the season has drastically changed since then.

If you were to tell me a few weeks back that USD would be favored at Hancock Stadium, I would have been a little surprised. If you would have told me that USD would be 10.5 point favorites, I'd probably be in disbelief. But that is where we are. Vegas is essentially saying, 33-22 USD, in large part to our inability to get much of anything going offensively.

Will this week be any different? Is it time for OC Dicken and Clark to empty out the playbook and throw the kitchen sink at USD? Is that what we need to do to win or can we consistently move the ball and get in the end zone?

I'd like to stay rationale, but I'm admittedly excited about what homecoming might mean for our guys, and our defense.

I think this might be one we steal, but if so - it will be because of winning the turnover battle and due to limiting huge plays.

Still, I'm not sure we can hang with them.

My prediction:
Coyotes 31
ISU 24

MadBird

It's hard to see a path this week, other than the Birds getting a big-time wake-up call from Coach Spark in terms of attitude/fight, and the coaching staff getting a "game-planning" wake-up call from some hard film study.

IF that all comes to pass, there's hope.

Trying to be optimistic, USD only beat the Turkeynecks by 5 in Macomb. Depending on your perspective, the glass is half full or half empty - WIU scored 4 TD's in the last 20 minutes of the game to make it close. So, was USD "playing it safe"? Or did the real WIU show up late? Can we assume USD can be scored upon late?

And beat YSU by 3 at home. USD needed a FG at the final gun to break the tie and win. Now, we can probably assume we're no YSU. But we know you can stay with USD if you've got what it takes.

So, they handled InSU and NoDakota pretty easily (and Drake too), and had pretty good contests all the way through with YSU and WIU. Don't know what to make of their win vs. Bowling Green - BGSU is 1-6 so far.

I don't see much hopeful in the stats - USD has some gaudy offensive stats - BUT, opponents are 16-16 in the red zone. The QB is the leading rusher, plus 1800+ yards passing. Pretty easy to see what has to be done, gotta get the job done on Mr. Streveler.

So, my half-empty prediction is:
Coyotes -- 41
Hurting Birds -- 20

My half-full, Homecoming, butt-chewed-out-by Spack prediction:
Scrawny prairie Dogs - 31
Rising Redbirds - 34

CaliRdBrd

MadBird said:
It's hard to see a path this week, other than the Birds getting a big-time wake-up call from Coach Spark in terms of attitude/fight, and the coaching staff getting a "game-planning" wake-up call from some hard film study.

IF that all comes to pass, there's hope.

Trying to be optimistic, USD only beat the Turkeynecks by 5 in Macomb. Depending on your perspective, the glass is half full or half empty - WIU scored 4 TD's in the last 20 minutes of the game to make it close. So, was USD "playing it safe"? Or did the real WIU show up late? Can we assume USD can be scored upon late?

And beat YSU by 3 at home. USD needed a FG at the final gun to break the tie and win. Now, we can probably assume we're no YSU. But we know you can stay with USD if you've got what it takes.

So, they handled InSU and NoDakota pretty easily (and Drake too), and had pretty good contests all the way through with YSU and WIU. Don't know what to make of their win vs. Bowling Green - BGSU is 1-6 so far.

I don't see much hopeful in the stats - USD has some gaudy offensive stats - BUT, opponents are 16-16 in the red zone. The QB is the leading rusher, plus 1800+ yards passing. Pretty easy to see what has to be done, gotta get the job done on Mr. Streveler.

So, my half-empty prediction is:
Coyotes -- 41
Hurting Birds -- 20

My half-full, Homecoming, butt-chewed-out-by Spack prediction:
Scrawny prairie Dogs - 31
Rising Redbirds - 34

From my experience, putting faith in "wake up calls" by angry coaches, or using past outcomes as a motivational tool, is way overrated. You either have the horses or you don't. We (the fans) have been deceived into thinking we do.

'Yotes - 33
'Birds - 10

Total Red

Staff member
I agree with Coach Spack that we're getting South Dakota at a good time. A top 5 team may be a lot more than we can handle but I think we'll play better without the weight of expectations. We know they are going to make some plays against us and we know they will stifle some of our plays. It won't come easy and it will be a 4Q battle. We don't need to be perfect we just need to be one point better.
I'm trying to be an optimist too.

SMOTE THE YOTE

REDBIRDS 24
'yotes 23

fourthandshort

My concern is USD likes to play fast and come out realy fast. We need a great game plan, especially Q1.

Defensively ... Tilting scale our way is we generally, we do well containing dual threat QBs, especially ones who run mroe than they pass. And our front 7 is very good. Streveler only runs a 4.7 forty, but feels pocket pressure and see field very well .. so while a good athlete, he looks more elusive than he is .. point being, he is no Tre Roberson running ball, but btter at read option and improvising. He is also not a pure passer by any means, but knows how to stay out of trouble with pass versus run decisions. I won't be surprised if our defense shows well this weekend against the most dynamic offense since SDSU and JMU both fell back to earth. But again, we are usually good at game planning for dual threat offenses.

Offensively, our OC needs strong game plan that keeps them off balance. They are more opportunistic than dominant. They play fast which may make things difficult for our OL, but their secondary is susceptible. Need a very good run-pass balance. Knowing how we have sturggled, they will try to take away run early .. we have to be prepared for this.

I'm with others .. I can see us losing by 3+ TDs or making game of it and getting some mojo back. It all starts with run game OC and OL), but this week need a good run-pass balance. I'm thinking Kolbe bounces back after 2 bad weeks, and defense steps up some. Have to be rady for Q1 .. they like to come out fast.

Here is their score by quarter .. look at 1st half vs 2nd half
Team Points 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
South Dakota 87 94 56 45 282
Opponents 13 29 35 31 108

Always a fan .. picking my redbirds to win 31-28

saxman210

This game scares me for a couple of reasons.

1. It will be close to a sellout as most homecoming games are. I don’t want Redbird Football to lay an egg and have a large crowd that doesn’t normally come out to a game walking away with that experience.

2. The Yotes are good and are hitting us when we look like garbage. Our OL needs to improve leaps and bounds over what we have seen in the last 10 quarters. Our DBs need to keep the ball in front of them and not give up the big play. Our DL need constant pressure on this mobile QB and make tackles when they’re on him.

In a prediction with my heart rather than my head:

SOUTH DAKOTA 24
REDBIRDS 27

Redbird78

saxman210 said:
This game scares me for a couple of reasons.

1. It will be close to a sellout as most homecoming games are. I don’t want Redbird Football to lay an egg and have a large crowd that doesn’t normally come out to a game walking away with that experience.

2. The Yotes are good and are hitting us when we look like garbage. Our OL needs to improve leaps and bounds over what we have seen in the last 10 quarters. Our DBs need to keep the ball in front of them and not give up the big play. Our DL need constant pressure on this mobile QB and make tackles when they’re on him.

In a prediction with my heart rather than my head:

SOUTH DAKOTA 24
REDBIRDS 27

I like this prediction. :text-+1:

cpacmel

Yotes average 565 yards of total offense per game. That’s #1 in all of fcs

DannyCooksey

Birds 38
Coyotes 20

We have played like 100% horseshit the last two weeks. That changes this week. If he plays poorly again then it's time for Jake to see the pines once and for all.

saxman210

More bad news for our already suspect receiving corps

https://twitter.com/pg_reinhardt/status/921161125005324289

fourthandshort

saxman210 said:
More bad news for our already suspect receiving corps

https://twitter.com/pg_reinhardt/status/921161125005324289

Look for Gibbs to have another big day like InSU .. assuming he's healthy.

JHBird

I hope to see more of Hadden playing at WR. A young guy, looks promising. He had some catches last week, so hopefully he keeps on improving.

I had thought this may be a tough one for the Birds to win before the last two games for some of the exact reasons that fourth mentioned. USD starts fast offensively, and we do not. Even when we played crap competition, it still took until the second half to finally show a pulse offensively. I can see us getting off to another rough start and not being able to dig our way out. The homecoming factor, "Coach Spack Tough Talk" stuff will matter for about three plays. Then talent and execution will take over IMO. Don't feel much like picking a score, but I don't think it will be too close. Would love to be wrong though!

cpacmel

Anyone heading down on 55 be alert it’s one lane for construction. Was around mile marker 215 and goes to marker 200. Very very slow going.

Similar road work going north as well around the same mile markers

StLRedbird

We've got to win two of the next five to have a chance at the playoffs. Might as well start by winning this one.

Feral Dogs 23
Redbirds 31

Top Bottom