South Dakota 10/23

Total Red

Staff member
South Dakota is on a tear. USD has been as hot as any FCS team in the country in their last 3 games. First they beat Indiana St. by 28, and then they beat N. Dakota by 7. North Dakota St. beat UND by 6. Finally and most impressively, they went to Cedar Falls and sucker punched N. Iowa 24-0 in the first half and then cruised to a 34-21 victory.

The storyline for this game revolves around the quarterbacks. USD has an emerging star at QB in Carson Camp. Due to the Covid reset, Camp is still a freshman in eligibility, but he has the experience of a veteran as this will be his 12th consecutive start for the Yotes. Camp went to Normal West HS. Meanwhile Redbird QB Bryce Jefferson will be looking to regain his form while also looking for added protection. Surprisingly, Jefferson was in rare form for the first half of the first game of the 2021 spring season. Midway through the 2nd Q of that game Illinois State led USD 17-0. Jefferson had completed a 58-yard pass to Austin Nagel that led to a FG, and a 59-yard TD pass to Taylor Grimes. Sitting on 17-0 lead in the season opener you would not have been able to find a single person on the Redbird sideline that would say that this wasn't a real football game in a real season. As we know, 4 Redbird Int's helped USD and young Mr. Camp claw back for a 27-20 win.

If it were me I would start Waring but it isn't up to me and I admit that I find this storyline intriguing. We talk a lot about our youth, but this tailspin really took root in the 2nd half of that game when a true freshman, Carson Camp, played in his first college FB game and he outplayed our QB. I've had some doubts about Jefferson when it comes to accuracy and decision making, but I've never doubted his toughness or his effort or his willingness to compete. If there is a game that Jefferson would like as a "do over" I have to think this is the one. Well good news, the reset button has been pushed and a 0-0 scoreboard will greet the Redbirds in Vermillion SD. This isn't the same South Dakota defense we saw in Normal. The Yotes have improved on that side of the ball but I think Jefferson is undeterred. He knows he had USD beat in February. I think he wants this one bad. I hope he gets it.

fourthandshort

Let's start with the 2 most important things as far as this weeks game at USD ... 2022 and QB position.

QB position - Why in the world did Spack not stay with Jackson Waring against NDSU ? Was he afraid of their pasds rush ? At first I thought maybe Spack was trying to preserve his RS for this year, but he played Waring against NDSU. I'm just not sure if Waring had played in 4 of the first 5 or not .. so who knows.

2022 - see above on QB position. Waring's RS is burned, lets continue to see what we got with him and develop him for next season. Same fo our entire 2-3 deep on both sides of ball. Let's treat this as a preseason and see what we got for 2022.

That is all that matters rest of way. Yes, we try to compete, play smart, play the best guys, play to win, etc ... but it is all about keeping the team together/focused/competing in 2021 for purpose of being ready for 2022.

USD does look a little scary, but we hung with NDSU for 3 1/2 qtrs, so lets get after them and give them a scare.

fdbird83

Is there any other conference in America that has more dome stadiums than the Missouri Valley?

cubird

Hell there are only 7 seniors on the team. Already playing 2s and 3s😏

fourthandshort

Hell there are only 7 seniors on the team. Already playing 2s and 3s😏
you lied !!!!!

:rolleyes:

FR .. 50
R-FR .. 13
SO .. 26 + 1 RS
JR .. 16 + 1 RS
SR .. 8

Total Rostered .. 107

Total Returnees .. 99 potentially

I'll do stats next .. time to actually work !!

Total Red

Staff member
Beyond the handwringing over the pass game we have to ask the question - "will the rushing attack get back on track?" Yes, we did have a power rushing game earlier this season. It was last seen in the 4th Q of the game at Eastern. Since then we've played some outstanding defenses and we've also had a number of lineup changes. Tackle Peyton Asche has been injured and that was costly because we have more O-linemen suited to G than T.
We will lose Cole Anderson and Trey Georgie at the end of the season. Anderson and Georgie are 6th year seniors. Behind them we have a core group of Bones, Bussone, Mueller, Day, Zambrano and the injured Asche all returning. Is that group good enough or do we need to bring in some juco and/or FBS transfers? I think that is a good group but we'll know more over the final 5 games. Tomorrow we need to see some Coyotes getting moved around by these guys. I'd like to see more rushing yards from Jefferson. We need opposing teams to acknowledge at least 2 RBs in the backfield or pay the price. He should also find some yardage exiting the pocket. The disappointing thing about the Int's back in Feb was that a couple of those balls didn't even need to be thrown. He had a nice little gain in front of him if he wanted to take it. Good line play, good decisions, we can beat SDak.

MadBird

Beyond the handwringing over the pass game we have to ask the question - "will the rushing attack get back on track?" Yes, we did have a power rushing game earlier this season. It was last seen in the 4th Q of the game at Eastern. Since then we've played some outstanding defenses and we've also had a number of lineup changes. Tackle Peyton Asche has been injured and that was costly because we have more O-linemen suited to G than T.
We will lose Cole Anderson and Trey Georgie at the end of the season. Anderson and Georgie are 6th year seniors. Behind them we have a core group of Bones, Bussone, Mueller, Day, Zambrano and the injured Asche all returning. Is that group good enough or do we need to bring in some juco and/or FBS transfers? I think that is a good group but we'll know more over the final 5 games. Tomorrow we need to see some Coyotes getting moved around by these guys. I'd like to see more rushing yards from Jefferson. We need opposing teams to acknowledge at least 2 RBs in the backfield or pay the price. He should also find some yardage exiting the pocket. The disappointing thing about the Int's back in Feb was that a couple of those balls didn't even need to be thrown. He had a nice little gain in front of him if he wanted to take it. Good line play, good decisions, we can beat SDak.
A few thoughts, TR:

Not only that OL core, but from tomorrow's two-deep, also have current FR Bromagen and Forystek coming back. Lots of other touted freshmen sitting in the wings, big boys from all over the country - MIchigan, Georgia, Texas, and several home grown biggies. Will they be ready? Been some griping here about the play-calling and inexperienced OC's and QB coach (me included), but our OL coach is about our most experienced guy, Etheridge. One would think he could whip these guys into shape, coach them up, as they say.

Neither Pha'Leak or Nigel has looked as good this year as they did in the spring games. Himmelman's the only missing OL, right? What's happened? Mueller's looked okay, real good a couple games, but inconsistent. Touted FR Sean Allen hasn't seen any PT, was hoping to see more of him. Lampkin injured. In the spring, we averaged 172 yds rushing per game, Pha'Leak and Nigel averaged about 5 yds. per carry. This fall, Mueller is around 6, but both of the others at 3.8.

Outside the box, but, would Jefferson be better suited to RB? Or, play Waring "a lot" and use Jefferson in the wildcat and as the "change of pace"?

South Dakota pretty stingy against the run, allowing 88 yds per game. Another tall order to get well this week.

cpacmel

Normal sites didn't have FCS this week. Weird.

Illinois State +18

Over / under 42.5

Virginia Redbird

Outside the box, but, would Jefferson be better suited to RB? Or, play Waring "a lot" and use Jefferson in the wildcat and as the "change of pace"?
Why do I have a sense of Deja Vue about this? Did we not go through something similar with Broadnax and the former Co-Offensive Coordinators? Is the next step Jefferson as a DB? Just playing a little Devil's advocate on a Saturday morning. Go Redbirds!

Dmills

Any reason why Rittenhouse traveled? Jefferson and Waring should be healthy and both traveled. Maybe Britton is out? Just curious because Rittenhouse traveled as the emergency 4th string quarterback (behind Dorsey) for the SIU game.

MadBird

Since Labor Day weekend, I've only had one Saturday I haven't been at a college football game in person (Birds or DIII St. John's), so will enjoy watching a bunch of games today on TV and streaming. Would like to think I'll enjoy the Birds vs. Coyotes, but my expectations have been lowered quite a bit. Not sure there's any reason to think ISU can get it done on the road today. Sad to say. Hope I'm wrong.

Wild Gray Dogs - 41
Good Guys - 13

Dmills

This will be a tough game, but the good news is this is the best remaining team on our schedule. Our losses are to #3 NDSU, #4 SIU, #17 MSU, and a 5-2 WMU. We were within striking distance for all of those games for at least half of the game. Would've been nice to come away with a win or 2 from those games (and probably should have). With that being said, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. No MVFC game is easy or given, but we will be playing more winnable games from here on out. Let's sneak away with a win today and see what happens from there.

fourthandshort

just dialed into game ... we are literally a top 20 first half team .. arguably top 15. SIU, NDSU, MoST, and now USD ... all top 15 to top 5 teams, and we're in the game at half part way into Q3. After that ... not so much.

Hope for the near future. For now ... we'll have to patiently watch it come to get together.

Way to battle Redbirds !!

Bird Friend

Just turned on the game. Up 20 - 7 with 5 to go in 3rd Q. Went to live stats to see how we got here . . . and SDU hasn’t updated the stats since mid-2nd Q. What happened to Camp?

jbird

Same hereregsrding their live stats; frustrating to see that game was apparently suspended with 7:24 left in the first half

jbird

Since I have no access, can someone update status every so often, including whenever either team scores?

Thanks.

Top Bottom