@ SIU 10/12/19

Adunk33

Staff member
I think the Birds bounce back and would take them +2.5

Total Red

Staff member
SIU is 2-3 and we're 3-2. Even though we have the better record and a better team SIU might be coming into this game in a better mental/emotional condition. That's a concern.

We've been a ranked team and we started the season with high expectations. When you have a bad loss and performance doesn't meet expectations doubt can creep in. Meanwhile SIU didn't start with high expectations. You never want low expectations for your program but the silver lining is that SIU probably feels pretty good that they have already matched the 2 wins they had all of last season. One of those was a FBS team - UMass. We had expectations in the 8,9,10 win range. SIU wants to win every game but realistically I think they're just hoping for 7 wins and a playoff berth. That would be a good season for them with major improvement and it is still doable. To get it done they have to win at home and conference-wise that starts with their game against us. So this is a big game for them and I see them leaning forward and pouring a lot of their energies into this game. The Redbirds need to match that energy. Maybe it's an angry/frustrated energy vs. an upbeat/enthusiastic energy but however you get there - get there.

CaliRdBrd

Just like basketball, I’m no longer giving the benefit of doubt to programs outside of women’s volleyball and soccer...

SIU -24
ISU-21

TIMMY

We should be able to run the ball down their throats. Time for the fat kids to step UP! 28-17 good guys.

Redbirds100

No More Cool in the Aide

Going to be a cold long winter..............

Salutes 35 Predictable run up the middle Redbirds 7

What was that truck running thru the field last weekend.............it was a Bison

Cancel your Frisco Rooms...............LOL

Doomsday is here............

Virginia Redbird

I think we will learn a great deal about the current Redbird team this week. They had a bad game this past week and got embarrassed at home. Yep, NDSU does that to a lot of teams but that does not make any player feel any better about it. The season is not lost at all. 7 games are left and if you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Do the Redbirds vent all their frustration on a Saluki team that is feeling pretty good about themselves and playing at home or do they fold? There are winnable games left, maybe all of them. The coaching staff has their work cut out for them this week to mentally prepare this team. The players need to get over the last game and pull themselves together with a strong performance and get a win. If the Redbirds come out flat this weekend and drop this game I don't see if being very pretty the rest of the way. They got smacked in the mouth last Saturday. Do they pick themselves up off the turf and come out storming or not? I see this a very critical game for this team. I think they get it done this week. If a drubbing like that does not piss them off then I don't think anything will. Go Redbirds!

ChiRedbirdfan

Given the current REDBIRD football team standing (both record and optics) this is a must win game as respects to playoff hopes. Lose this GAME and it is highly unlikely ISU will make the playoffs given they have to play SDSU and Young on the road as well as play a solid Uni at home. I suspect winning only one of those 3 mentioned games would not be enough juice for a playoff birth if there is also an SIU loss in the redbird record. Beating 2 out of those 3 teams seems remote so gotta have a win this weekend

JHBird

:text-+1:
CaliRdBrd said:
Just like basketball, I’m no longer giving the benefit of doubt to programs outside of women’s volleyball and soccer...

SIU -24
ISU-21

KInda feel the same way.

We'll probably get down double digits early, then make a close game of it. I want to see the passing game get over 200 yards. That would be a big plus.
Brock said that SIU has a 240 pound return guy? I can't wait to see what that looks like!

StLRedbird

So many possibilities. We could rebound from the arse whoopin' with one of our own. Or maybe that arse whoopin' crushed our confidence and the season really unravels in Carbondale. Or it could be a defensive struggle between evenly matched opponents like the objective projections are suggesting. Decision time.

I'm gonna go full-on homer and say we get solidly back on the rails tomorrow.

'birds 31
Mangy-looking Dogs 14

Phantom

Need a win to put that NDSU nightmare in the rear view mirror and keep pace in the league.

Doesn't matter how. Just if.

Us 24
Them 17

:eek:rcs-cheers:

fourthandshort

So the UMass team they beat is currently ranked last in FBS by Massey .. they are 1-5, with their only win against 0-5 Akron, who is ranked 2nd to last in FBS.

Reviewing their year to date stats, they are pretty good offensively .. actually stronger in run game than pass game, compared to prior years. Given our run defense, I like our chances to keep their offense in check. Defensively, they're in bottom 3 for most part ... believe it or not, I liked the way Davis hung in there against NDSU .. didn't play well, but I thought he gutted it out in a very tough game. SIU will be easy by comparison.

It is road game, and they will be trying to avenge our absolute beat down a year ago, when we ran it down their throats all game and beat them 51-3 in 2018 .. their worst loss and least points scored by far all year. But we were avenging our worst loss of year from 2017 losing 42-7 at their place for their homecoming.

You can bet Spack is reminding team of that 2017 game ... this is what happens if you don't come ready to play. I thought it was the first time Spack lost his team since probably 2010. For this reason (2017 game) and last weeks game, I think our Redbirds show up ready to play. They are decent team playing at home, so it won't be easy game by any means.

But I think they bounce back and win by double digits .. Redbirds win 34-24.

fourthandshort

Up 14-0 at half .. defense had been good and opportunistic/lucky .. they did get 2 decent drives, but we stopped a fake FG (some luck, receiver was open) and then got a nice pick at goal line right before half. Pass rush is very good so far.

Offense looks ok .. passing is solid, Davis does look confident back there .. and run game is very solid. Nothing dominant yet, but it feels like they came to play today. This is a decent SIU team on road ... so I'll take 14-0 at half.

fourthandshort

Need a strong 2nd half and this team is right back in the playoff hunt ... pass game looks solid right now. Davis is looking much more confident than first 3 games.

One knock ... that was a goofy looking trick play .. handoff to Robinson going left, circles back right, throws to a fully covered Davis out of bounds .. could have been easily picked ... oh well, one boneheaded play for the half.

Virginia Redbird

On the fake field goal, it looked like they had a TD but the backup QB tossed a bad pass. It does not hurt to have a bit of luck! Davis is looking pretty good. Pretty impressed with the Saluki's punter so far. He has had a good game so far. Flipped the field a couple of times.

Top Bottom