Shockers

cubird

Shockers lose at home to new conference foe North Texas. Am still waiting for WSU's revived football program.

Seven

And Wichita only drew 5500 attendance last night. They were drawing consistent 10,500 sellouts in the MVC. Nowadays, their arena is half empty.

redbirds2000

And Wichita only drew 5500 attendance last night. They were drawing consistent 10,500 sellouts in the MVC. Nowadays, their arena is half empty.
When you are a mid-major and 8-6, folks just aren't going to spend the $ and time to go watch in-person. There are better things to do and while doing those things, one can keep track or watch on their phone. If they were 13-1 or 12-2, they might see 10,000 again. Or when Memphis or FAU are in town. I don't think Wichita will ever be able to field a team with the talent level they had from 2013 to 2017. Just like I doubt we ever see a team with the talent level of 1998 or even 2017 again. That doesn't mean ISU won't see the dance again, it just won't be with a team with those caliber of players. That can be said for many programs. Even top tier P5.

dpdoughbird06

Based upon both the ISU football and basketball state of affairs I’m not throwing stones at WSU even if I do despise them.
If anything, Shockers’ dominance of the Valley and its relative benefits regarding fan interest and attendance prior to its move to the AAC would suggest we drop down to a level we can dominate in MBB and/or football, rather than dream of moving up.

I’m not suggesting we do this, but:

Honestly we’d have a better shot of making the FCS playoffs (easy path to 9 low-quality wins) and ending the NCAA tourney drought taking our chances every year in the OVC tourney than trying to survive the Arch Madness gauntlet.

If Murray State and Belmont level off to good-not-great in the Valley, I wonder if their respective fan bases start to question the move.

ISU86

Hindsight is generally 20:20, but I wonder if Wichita State is (still) getting enough perceived extra "bump" to make the additional expenses/travel worthwhile?

Here is all of the American Athletic Conference movement since the Shockers accepted an invitation (effective July 1, 2024):

DEPARTED
========
Connecticut, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Southern Methodist

REMAINED
========
Memphis, South Florida, Temple, East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa

ARRIVED
=======
Alabama-Birmingham, Florida Atlantic, North Carolina-Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Texas-San Antonio

The current AAC looks more like an earlier version of CUSA. Not to mention the Shockers are an outlier (non-football) member. In this day and age, is that a good thing? I do not see WSU being a current Big East boost given both the current state of their programs and the fact that there are closer Atlantic 10 schools that would more easily fit.

I am sure it is (somewhat) better, but just how much?

Top Bottom