Senior Day

RedbirdSoxFan

I would take YSU & the 10.5 points
Redbird Football & Basketball both seem to be spiraling downward.

fourthandshort

YSU seems to be a much improved team from first month of season. Similar to Spack, their Coach Pelini knows how to build defenses and their offense is starting to find itself. We caught these guys at right time last year .. they were pretty banged up and demoralized after 4 very close tough losses to very good teams .. and we steamrolled them at their place. That was then, this is now .. and now we're the demoralized team.

I still say James Robinson has been playing with an undisclosed injury .. he is not himself. I wonder how much he will play in a meaningless game. So we'll see there.

So I'm thinking YSU is team playing loose and with nothing to lose, while we're still trying to figure out what happened the last month.

So this could go either way .. we usually match up very well with YSU. So I can see a 3 TD win or a 2 TD loss.

I'll take my Redbirds by 10 ... pressure is off, so maybe we'll loosen up a bit. This is officially about next year. Still love this roster !!

MadBird

So, I don't disagree this is about next year, but it wouldn't bother me one bit to start Kolbe and play him as long as they can. It's senior day. Let him have his day. I know Spack would rather end up with a winning record than a loser, but at least a few series shouldn't hurt.

RedbirdSoxFan

MadBird said:
So, I don't disagree this is about next year, but it wouldn't bother me one bit to start Kolbe and play him as long as they can. It's senior day. Let him have his day. I know Spack would rather end up with a winning record than a loser, but at least a few series shouldn't hurt.

Who was the quarterback for Illinois State last season when they trounced Youngstown State? Who were the running backs?
Why was Kolbe good enough to lead the Redbirds to that win last year, but Spack would need to play Davis this year to secure a Redbird victory?

MadBird

RedbirdSoxFan said:
MadBird said:

Who was the quarterback for Illinois State last season when they trounced Youngstown State? Who were the running backs?
Why was Kolbe good enough to lead the Redbirds to that win last year, but Spack would need to play Davis this year to secure a Redbird victory?

Well, that's not exactly what I meant, more along the lines of - if things did start going south, there could be time to put Davis in and hope for the best. I'm fairly confident Kolbe could get the job done, or deserves to have a shot at it anyway in his final game.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
I still say James Robinson has been playing with an undisclosed injury .. he is not himself. I wonder how much he will play in a meaningless game.

I don't mean to single you out fourth because lots of fans talk that way but I will be at the game Saturday and I don't consider it meaningless. I won't be the only one. Lots of players, coaches and fans will care who wins this game. Maybe you care who wins too and you only meant to say that this game doesn't carry any playoff possibilities. If so, then say that.
But if football is all about making the playoffs then our fan base has it backwards because our attendance drops for playoffs games. :doh:

I don't know about an injury but I would agree that Robinson has looked beaten down lately. Also true for LB'er Zach Mathews. Both have been stalwarts this season but not so much lately. I hope they can rally for the last game.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
fourthandshort said:
I still say James Robinson has been playing with an undisclosed injury .. he is not himself. I wonder how much he will play in a meaningless game.

I don't mean to single you out fourth because lots of fans talk that way but I will be at the game Saturday and I don't consider it meaningless. I won't be the only one. Lots of players, coaches and fans will care who wins this game. Maybe you care who wins too and you only meant to say that this game doesn't carry any playoff possibilities. If so, then say that.
But if football is all about making the playoffs then our fan base has it backwards because our attendance drops for playoffs games. :doh:

I don't know about an injury but I would agree that Robinson has looked beaten down lately. Also true for LB'er Zach Mathews. Both have been stalwarts this season but not so much lately. I hope they can rally for the last game.

no worries .. I only meant meaningless from playoff standpoint and I should have said as much. Every game is important, especially when youonly play 11 ... and finishing 6-5 is very important, not to mention players and coaches should play every game like it is their last. For seniors, most are playing their last game ... so go out fighting like a cornered dog.

But as it relates to Robinson possibly being injured (100% speculation), I say Spack/Beathard should go real easy on him this week ... give him less reps, or don't play him at all. I hate to say it ... but what if it was a minor concussion he was playing thru ... could be that or a rib/shoulder injury. He is not hitting holes, punishing tacklers, and breaking tackles like he did first half of season ... just not the same guy.

JHBird

MadBird said:
:text-+1:

Play some seniors, also get some of our Freshmen some game experience. They won't lose a year of eligibility, so there's no reason not to put them into a game that has no playoff implication.

Total Red

Staff member
Still feeling good about this game. These guys look ready to battle the elements and the Penguins. Redbird Up
https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1063104205857132545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 15,

I actually enjoy these cold weather end of season games. We'll lose all the fair weather fans. That's ok. This is a chance to punch your tough guy card. It's 4 quarters of cold weather with a good chance of some form of precipitation. Serious fans only need apply.

Top Bottom