Roster changes

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Markel Smith,Malachi Broadnax and Kobe Buffalomeat all leave team.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1080559748720803840

fourthandshort

uh .. shoot.

Interesting that Smith will finish out spring classes ... grad transfer must be in his plans.

Disappointed Broadnax is leaving .. i think he would have become a good safety for us.

MadBird

Yeah, too bad for all three.

Altho it sure seemed like Smith had some attitude issues. I'm glad the kid is graduating, at least he got that out of his stay here. We could have used a Smith with his head screwed on straight. Not sure that was gonna happen.

Also Broadnax, understandable, especially if he still as hopes of being a QB at some level. Get out now, cut your losses, enroll in spring somewhere if possible. He showed some promise in the DB.

Gonna guess Buffalomeat just wasn't quite where he needed to be to feel like he could earn some PT eventually? Been here for what, two years? Just not quite making the grade, other guys ahead of him, etc.?

But, that clears out schollies for 3 guys at the late signing day.

ekeyfanclub

Updated Pantagraph article said Buffalomeat was dismissed for conduct detrimental to the team. Looks like Broadnax was dismissed as well.

JHBird

fourthandshort said:
uh .. shoot.

Interesting that Smith will finish out spring classes ... grad transfer must be in his plans.

Disappointed Broadnax is leaving .. i think he would have become a good safety for us.

I really liked the way Broadnax hit people. I thought he would end up being a pro prospect maybe after switching to safety. That's a bummer!
I just hate it when they get dismissed for conduct. It's one thing to just not be good enough....

StLRedbird

I don't think we've heard the back story with Markel Smith. He was in the Spack doghouse by years end, that's for sure. There was a pretty consistent work split between him and Robinson early in the season. Wouldn't shock me to hear Smith wanted to adjust that. Does anyone know why things went south?

MadBird

The Panty article also said the new WR coach is already hired, but not announced yet, and a OL grad transfer was ready to go just waiting for admissions. And Trenton Hatfield was moving from RB to Safety (after starting as a QB).

So a shout out to Mr. Reinhardt for a fact-filled article.

Hopefully the OL transfer has something to offer.

And Smith -- don't want to knock him too much, don't know what's going on, but, he has hopped around a little. Committed to Mizzou, decommitted, then to Iowa, where he sat a year? Then Central Missouri, then ISU. Think that sequence is right. So, there's something not quite right there.

JHBird

Hope that OL guy is a starter. I'm thinking that's why they brought him here.

Redbird28

I'd highly doubt a Grad transfer would be coming for anything less than a starting spot. That person wouldn't exactly have a bunch of time to kill trying to crack a rotation.

Total Red

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Megginson's old teammates/friends from Illinois transfer in on the OL.

Two of them have declared as transfers -Adam Solomon and Zeke Martin with Solomon being the more likely of the two.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
The Panty article also said the new WR coach is already hired, but not announced yet, and a OL grad transfer was ready to go just waiting for admissions. And Trenton Hatfield was moving from RB to Safety (after starting as a QB).

And Smith -- don't want to knock him too much, don't know what's going on, but, he has hopped around a little. Committed to Mizzou, decommitted, then to Iowa, where he sat a year? Then Central Missouri, then ISU. Think that sequence is right. So, there's something not quite right there.
close enough .. I thought he first committed to Iowa and then either decommitted or didn't qualify. Dude could run, but it seemed like he was frustrated. No doubt, he could be a feature back in most FCS programs .. but tough sharing reps and playing behind Robinson. I felt like they split the reps about right .... 67/33. We're going to miss him next fall though. I'm a big believer is 2 feature back system at this level if you want to go deep into playoffs and play 15 or 16 games ... next year is 12 game reg season.

JHBird

fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:

close enough .. I thought he first committed to Iowa and then either decommitted or didn't qualify. Dude could run, but it seemed like he was frustrated. No doubt, he could be a feature back in most FCS programs .. but tough sharing reps and playing behind Robinson. I felt like they split the reps about right .... 67/33. We're going to miss him next fall though. I'm a big believer is 2 feature back system at this level if you want to go deep into playoffs and play 15 or 16 games ... next year is 12 game reg season.

Hope Robinson can stay healthy the entire year. We don't really have the depth there now with Smith gone. Not sure who'll be the primary 2nd string back. Hatfield moving to Safety is interesting. With Smith gone I'd thought he have a shot and getting a lot of carries next year. Hopefully somebody rises to the RB challenge and can earn a decent amount of carries.

MadBird

JHBird said:
fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:

Hope Robinson can stay healthy the entire year. We don't really have the depth there now with Smith gone. Not sure who'll be the primary 2nd string back. Hatfield moving to Safety is interesting. With Smith gone I'd thought he have a shot and getting a lot of carries next year. Hopefully somebody rises to the RB challenge and can earn a decent amount of carries.

Two thoughts - where did Birch end up? I can see getting itchy sitting there at #3, but now he'd be a clear #2 and stand to get some good PT on a good team, and be #1 when JRob moves on after next year. Guys hate to wait for their chance.

Second, we've got the walk-on who looked pretty decent vs. YSU, Adams the kid from Springfield, and then the JC guy. We can assume the coaching staff has a rough idea of what they have and felt comfortable moving Hatfield. BUT, they can always bring him back to RB if need be.

But yes, that's plenty of unproven behind Mr. Robinson.

Reggie Redbird

StLRedbird said:
I don't think we've heard the back story with Markel Smith. He was in the Spack doghouse by years end, that's for sure. There was a pretty consistent work split between him and Robinson early in the season. Wouldn't shock me to hear Smith wanted to adjust that. Does anyone know why things went south?

I would venture one example is throwing a punch at a member of our starting defense. Not a good look right at mid field in front of the fan base.

StLRedbird

Reggie Redbird said:
StLRedbird said:
I would venture one example is throwing a punch at a member of our starting defense. Not a good look right at mid field in front of the fan base.
Thanks, RR. I didn't see it, but I think I remember mention of this on these very pages. You know, I lead the league in young and stupid when I was 18 so I resist judging these kids. I hope he gets a handle on things.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:

:text-+1:

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
ekeyfanclub said:
Updated Pantagraph article said Buffalomeat was dismissed for conduct detrimental to the team.

Had to be his sideline dance.

I think camera just caught him doing a dynamic warm up thinking he was going to get into game. :banana-linedance:

Top Bottom