Redbirds @ Loyola-Chicago 12/27 3:00 PM FSMW/NBCSCH

ISU86

conference season finally commences with the first game of a two game set ... more of a baseball feel to that

Just a hunch that we may hang close early-on but fade as the game goes along

Ramblers 79, Redbirds 68

MadBird

conference season finally commences with the first game of a two game set ... more of a baseball feel to that

Just a hunch that we may hang close early-on but fade as the game goes along

Ramblers 79, Redbirds 68

Yes . . . . but . . . . on a good day, maybe Dusan can checkmate Krutwig?? A big body to check him on D and maybe take him to the rack on O and draw a foul or two or four? Just hoping . . . . .

BIGfan

Dusan can checkmate Krudwig... but, the referees will decide which big man wins. Krud usually gets away with a lot.

CB2K

Dusan can checkmate Krudwig... but, the referees will decide which big man wins. Krud usually gets away with a lot.
Yes he does get away with it a lot -- I am amazed by how much he holds and pushes players and gets away with it. Good player but he gets away with his fair share.

Redbird222

Keys:

1. Birds avoid the bad start on the road
2. Rebounding
3. Play defense the entire possession. You can't play for 20 seconds and then allow a layup
4. Avoid the 4 minute or longer dry spell

Ramblers 82
Birds 68

ILLST25

All I ask is we feed Dusan more. He’s such an efficient scorer with the ball in his hands. More often than not, he either scores a bucket and/or gets fouled. He also can draw in extra defenders and pass it out to an open man. Getting it to him will help open things up and help us become more efficient. I’d also like to see Josiah, Horne, and Reeves on the court for a ton of minutes. Maybe a shorter rotation would be good for getting guys into rhythms and all three have the capability of being great 3 point shooters

Redbird Alum 2004

All I ask is we feed Dusan more. He’s such an efficient scorer with the ball in his hands. More often than not, he either scores a bucket and/or gets fouled. He also can draw in extra defenders and pass it out to an open man. Getting it to him will help open things up and help us become more efficient. I’d also like to see Josiah, Horne, and Reeves on the court for a ton of minutes. Maybe a shorter rotation would be good for getting guys into rhythms and all three have the capability of being great 3 point shooters
This is what I want to see as well. Even Sissoko has some post moves. We really need to tweak the offense around our players. I am hoping that has started to happen. Hopefully the players are in a good mental state after seeing family. I think the birds split this series. I think the win happens on Sunday.

Birds 72
Ramblers 69

JHBird

Not being a basketball expert here, but I heard something interesting during one of the previous game's broadcast. The affect Dusan can have on our three point shooting. Obviously having an inside threat always helps, but what they talked about was how better the three point shot is when you get the pass from inside the paint ("kick out") vs receiving it from it going around the horn. If you get the pass when you're already squared up then it's just easier then having to turn your body and shoot. I bet 70 percent of our 3 point shots are from "around the horn". I wonder what the stats are versus those two situations, assuming the shooter is open in both cases. That's why they really need to get it into Dusan more. He's a good enough passer to find an open man, and has the post moves to draw attention. He's probably our most important player going forward.

ISU86

today's opening odds

Drake -4 | 143 1/2 at Indiana State
Loyola-Chicago -16 | 140 1/2 Illinois State
Northern Iowa -8 | 148 1/2 Missouri State
Southern Illinois -13 | 127 1/2 Evansville

V Boy

I’ve noticed Marquise Kennedy minutes have pretty much evaporated for LOY.....yet Antonio Reeves mins still very high for ISU. FYI Kennedy was the higher-ranked player in high school.

Kids like Braden Norris (LOY) and Trent Brown (SIU) are a level up from Reeves and they are propelling their teams forward. We have to hope Howard Fleming is that player for ISU or I don’t think we will be able to compete.

Today I think we take it on the chin. We’re not mentally ready for this type of game yet. We don’t defend. We don’t rebound. We don’t guard without fouling. And we turn it over too much. And to beat Loyola you need to match them in those areas.

ISU 62
Loyola 78

stats

the three point shot is when you get the pass from inside the paint ("kick out") vs receiving it from it going around the horn.
A stat from a few years ago stated that a 3 pointer from inside-out is 40% better than a 3 pointer from a perimeter to perimeter pass. I would imagine that stat doesn't change much from year to year.

topiarydan

I’ve noticed Marquise Kennedy minutes have pretty much evaporated for LOY.....yet Antonio Reeves mins still very high for ISU. FYI Kennedy was the higher-ranked player in high school.

Kids like Braden Norris (LOY) and Trent Brown (SIU) are a level up from Reeves and they are propelling their teams forward. We have to hope Howard Fleming is that player for ISU or I don’t think we will be able to compete.

Today I think we take it on the chin. We’re not mentally ready for this type of game yet. We don’t defend. We don’t rebound. We don’t guard without fouling. And we turn it over too much. And to beat Loyola you need to match them in those areas.

ISU 62
Loyola 78
Kennedy has had a bum ankle since 2nd game - got hurt - he's been very limited. However kd who jumped in for him has been shooting lights out too

BTbird

Would love to be wrong on this but I don't see us being in this game. If we play good defense, that would be encouraging. Loyola covers.

Bird Friend

ISU 62
Loyola 78
I think you could've left it there. Doesn't seem to matter what 'type' of game . . .

Bird Friend

Down 7-5 at the under 16. More turnovers than shots made (3-2), but only 1 foul thus far.

Top Bottom