Redbird Football Game broadcasts

Virginia Redbird

With the season getting closer I was wondering what the status of the broadcasts for football games will be. I recall from some earlier posts that the games will not be on ESPN3 this season but on some type of pay streaming system? I see nothing on the official ISU Athletics page (although that is pretty normal. They generally have little if any information on the webpage). Does anybody out there have details? I looked for the previous posts about this but could not find them. Thanks in advance! :D

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
We aren't sure yet, but based on what they did with the spring sports, they are moving the MVC games to ESPN+ which is $5 a month.

Virginia Redbird

isuquinndog said:
We aren't sure yet, but based on what they did with the spring sports, they are moving the MVC games to ESPN+ which is $5 a month.

Thanks for the info. $5 a month is not a big deal. I hope the broadcast quality is better though. If I am paying, even $5, I expect to see the whole game...with sound...without broadcasts drops...and all the usual things we encountered with ESPN3. For free you can't complain. When you are paying you should get what you are paying for.

ISUBU

isuquinndog said:
It seems that the MVFC presents a whole slate of games to ESPN, who then decides which go to ESPN3 and which go to ESPN+.

With the start of training camp almost here, I assume we'll start to see the ramp up of information and news releases from here on in.

Adunk33

Staff member
ISUBU said:
isuquinndog said:
It seems that the MVFC presents a whole slate of games to ESPN, who then decides which go to ESPN3 and which go to ESPN+.

With the start of training camp almost here, I assume we'll start to see the ramp up of information and news releases from here on in.

From an industry perspective, I'm guessing it is ESPN's ultimate goal to eliminate ESPN3 entirely. Business 101: If you are giving away a service for free, and people depend on it, then most will pay for it. They need it. It sucks but it is what it is.

Regarding the quality, I assume nothing will change with that. It will still be up to the school to produce the content for ESPN to share. ISU's broadcasts are pretty good, as are NDSU. EIU's and Indiana State's sucked. Don't expect better quality just because you are going to pay, because you might be disappointed.

Virginia Redbird

Adunk33 said:
ISUBU said:
isuquinndog said:
Regarding the quality, I assume nothing will change with that. It will still be up to the school to produce the content for ESPN to share. ISU's broadcasts are pretty good, as are NDSU. EIU's and Indiana State's sucked. Don't expect better quality just because you are going to pay, because you might be disappointed.

Yes, the Indiana State broadcast set a new low for quality...it was awful on every level. I can't comment on the EIU broadcast...it never made it to my television at all! NDSU is the best I have seen as far as broadcast quality (have to give them their due for quality on and off the field). ISU broadcasts has been mediocre at best in my opinion. Dropped transmission happen frequently and it seems sound is a constant and ongoing problem. There have been quite a few games where I have pulled up the radio broadcast because the television sound was gone (the time delay in the radio/television broadcast makes for interesting viewing). Having said all that it seemed there were fewer broadcast hiccups last season than in previous seasons. $5 a month is pretty cheap and I enjoy watching FCS games. I don't think I would be interested in a full year subscription at $50 but it will probably only cost around $20 to get the full season of Redbird Football. :clap:

Birdswin

Four games will be broadcast on NBCSports Chicago - St. Xavier, EIU, WIU, and YSU.

Virginia Redbird

I found this link for information about MVC games on ESPN+ for anyone that is interested.

https://www.mvc-sports.com/news/2018/4/10/general-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-mvc-and-espn.aspx

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia Redbird said:
I found this link for information about MVC games on ESPN+ for anyone that is interested.

https://www.mvc-sports.com/news/2018/4/10/general-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-mvc-and-espn.aspx

There is one useful sentence in this whole marketing BS.
IS THE VALLEY ON ESPN3 NO LONGER CARRYING MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE PROGRAMMING?
TV Everywhere streaming will continue to provide authenticated access to ESPN’s linear networks and ESPN3 for pay TV subscribers. MVC productions that are not selected for ESPN+ will continue to air on The Valley on ESPN3.

Virginia Redbird

isuquinndog said:
There is one useful sentence in this whole marketing BS.
IS THE VALLEY ON ESPN3 NO LONGER CARRYING MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE PROGRAMMING?
TV Everywhere streaming will continue to provide authenticated access to ESPN’s linear networks and ESPN3 for pay TV subscribers. MVC productions that are not selected for ESPN+ will continue to air on The Valley on ESPN3.

Yes, I saw that as well. I still have no idea what all this means as far as being able to pull up the ISU games. Four games are listed on the ISU Athletics webpage as being telecast by NBC SPORTS CHICAGO PLUS, which I do not get here in Virginia. Are any of those games going to be telecast on ESPN3 or ESPN+ too? My guess is no since any game broadcast last season on that channel was not available on ESPN3, at least not here in Virginia. How many ISU games are going to be on ESPN+? How many will be on ESPN3? Nobody seems to know. I thought from what I first heard about ESPN+ that all the ISU games will be streamed on ESPN+ and I was fine with paying $5 a month to get all the Redbird games. That was a more than fair deal I thought. But I am not so interested in paying $5 a month for maybe 3 or 4 games over the course of a season. I already get ESPN3 so if the 'Birds are playing on that channel I will be tuning in. I wish there was some listing of games they expect to be broadcast and on which system they will be broadcast. This really should not be this difficult. At least I don't have to work so hard to watch the Notre Dame games...they are on every week...everywhere!

cpacmel

https://twitter.com/redbirdfb/status/1027212527963398144?s=12

Adunk33

Staff member
http://mvc-sports.com/documents/2018/8/2//2018_Fall_Programming_Schedule_for_The_Valley_on_ESPN_Release.pdf?id=1400

Nothing on MVFC Football yet but this is soccer, volleyball, and Valpo football, for whatever reason.

Adunk33

Staff member
https://gobison.com/news/2018/8/10/bison-football-moving-from-espn3-to-espn-plus-in-2018

All Bizon games on ESPN+.

Adunk33

Staff member
https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/8/10/total-of-10-redbird-football-broadcasts-to-be-seen-on-espn3.aspx

Illinois State 2018 ESPN3/+ Broadcast Schedule
•    Sept. 1 vs. Saint Xavier – 6:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Sept. 8 vs. Eastern Illinois – 6:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Sept. 29 at Missouri State – 2 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Oct. 6 vs. Western Illinois – 2 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Oct. 13 vs. Southern Illinois – 2 p.m. (MVFC/ESPN3)
•    Oct. 20 at North Dakota State – 2:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Oct. 27 vs. South Dakota State – Noon (MVFC/ESPN3)
•    Nov. 3 at Northern Iowa – 1 p.m. (ESPN+)
•    Nov. 10 at Indiana State – Noon (ESPN3)
•    Nov. 17 vs. Youngstown State – Noon (ESPN+)

Virginia Redbird

Adunk33 said:
https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/8/10/total-of-10-redbird-football-broadcasts-to-be-seen-on-espn3.aspx

Thanks! Looks like I will be spending the $5 a month!

fourthandshort

Virginia Redbird said:
Adunk33 said:

Thanks! Looks like I will be spending the $5 a month!

same here .. does anyone know if you have to commit to 12 month subscription ?

wiu712

fourthandshort said:
Does anyone know if you have to commit to 12 month subscription ?

ESPN+ has a "Seven Day Free Trial". Then it's $4.99 per month. They advertise that you can "Cancel anytime".
https://watch.espnplus.com/sports/?ex_cid=ESPN-SEARCH-GOOGLE-PPC-BRAND-BRAND-JF-20000012&gclid=CjwKCAjwkrrbBRB9EiwAhlN8_JR60Ib7VMHOKPGGFaRbQnOj0Fn2B1g9uqbcznBUnqyk-8KTh88eexoCHwoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds