Re: Broadnax to Safety

Adunk33

Staff member
There will be no more No.5 and No.25 reunions in the back field! Malachi moved to safety.

Edit: just saw on the goredbirds.com roster Malachi changed his number to 10. I like that size as a safety! 6'3 205.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1024340526269702144

Total Red

Staff member
I thought this deserved a thread of its own. I felt that Broadnax had long-range potential at QB so I see this as a positive. If Coach Spack is seeing better future options at QB then he likes one or more of the following QBs - Davis, Hatfield, Smith and/or Jefferson and like I say they have to good because Broadnax could play QB. It will be interesting to watch Broadnax progress as a safety. He's certainly long and athletic.

Adunk33

Staff member
There will be no more No.5 and No.25 reunions in the back field! Malachi moved to safety.

Edit: just saw on the goredbirds.com roster Malachi changed his number to 10. I like that size as a safety! 6'3 205.

fourthandshort

Not surprised .. just didn't see what others saw as far as potential. Agree this is good for Malachai and good for team .. we have 4 better options as is .. including our 2018 starter Kolbe, our probable 2019 starter Brady Davis, then let the 2 young guys compete for job in 2020 .. were in pretty good shape as far as the age and depth of our QB position .. OC Beathard can work with what we have .. just need some WRs to emerge sooner than later ... defenses will be stacking the box the next 2 seasons unless some WRs emerge.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:

Spack likes and has had success converting tall fast offensive players to safety .. Ben Eriksen and Mitchell Brees .. obviously Spack feels he can work with physical skill set at safety. I hope Malachai embraces it .. he has a lot of physical potential .. and he knows how QBs think .. this can only help him. How he proves Spack right ... he seems to have good attitude about him. And I loved his composure filling in for Kolbe in huge game for us as RS FR thrust into spotlight on weeks notice.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:

Spack likes and has had success converting tall rangy athletic offensive players to safety .. Ben Eriksen and Mitchell Brees .. obviously Spack feels he can work with physical skill set at safety. I hope Malachai embraces it .. he has a lot of physical potential .. and he knows how QBs think .. this can only help him. How he proves Spack right ... he seems to have good attitude about him. And I loved his composure filling in for Kolbe in huge game for us as RS FR thrust into spotlight on weeks notice.

MadBird

Picking up where fourthandshort left off, I'm just surprised Broadnax didn't move to WR. Not that our DB is all set and ready. But I thought if we moved him anywhere it would be WR.

So maybe that's also a good sign they're feeling okay about the WR corps? Some of those guys are looking okay?

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
Picking up where fourthandshort left off, I'm just surprised Broadnax didn't move to WR. Not that our DB is all set and ready. But I thought if we moved him anywhere it would be WR.

So maybe that's also a good sign they're feeling okay about the WR corps? Some of those guys are looking okay?

Hmmm .. I always had same thought. But maybe Malachai is on excelerated track ... the other 2 were WRs turned safety .. maybe Malachai was "double promoted" with his position change ??

And my glass is still "half empty" when it comes to WR group. I'll believe it when I see it this fall.

P.s. Cam Meredith was a bit more exceptional athlete converting so easily from QB to WR like he did. Hard to do what he did and be so good at it. I wonder of Malachai played some defense in HS ?

StLRedbird

Didn't think that Broadnax had the passing accuracy to be a QB at this level, though the in-game sample size was small. Also thought that Spack's comments when Davis transferred in (no competition for Kolbe...) confirmed it. I hope this works out well for both Broadnax and the 'birds.

ISUBU

Total Red said:
I thought this deserved a thread of its own. I felt that Broadnax had long-range potential at QB so I see this as a positive. If Coach Spack is seeing better future options at QB then he likes one or more of the following QBs - Davis, Hatfield, Smith and/or Jefferson and like I say they have to good because Broadnax could play QB. It will be interesting to watch Broadnax progress as a safety. He's certainly long and athletic.
Jordan Smith was ahead of him as a true rookie in 2016. Again last year I believe Smith was ahead of him early in the season until Broadnax progressed enough to be the backup, allowing Smith to redshirt.

With Brady Davis coming in it just pushed him further down the depth chart. We keep recruiting QBs, as they are generally good athletes who can move into other spots if QB doesn't work out.
MadBird said:
That's where I thought he'd go as well. Maybe he doesn't have the hands that a WR needs? I don't want to sound down on him. Maybe he's got a nose for tackling. Or maybe our need was greater than we thought at safety.

Chi-bird

Broadnax is a physical specimen, whose body is more valuable on defense than as a wide receiver. Can he be our kick returner while he's at it?

JHBird

MadBird said:

I thought he'd be a WR as well. I could see him terrorizing the secondary after he catches a ball, but Brock must see something we don't.

Virginia Redbird

I think this is a solid move. Malachi was just not going to play at QB for the Redbirds this season. Too many better choices and his passing accuracy was a real problem. He is a good choice for the defensive backfield and I expect he will do very well at that position. It gives him a much better chance of getting on the field regularly. I don't know if they gave him a try at WR or if he has the hands for that position. He did not shy away from contact as a running QB so I expect he will be comfortable with a defensive position. I hope it goes well for him. He is too good an athlete to be on the bench all game. Quite a few of Spack's transition of players to new positions has worked out very well for the team and the individual player. Malachi has been around the program long enough to have seen some of these players flourish with a position switch. I expect him to do well at safety.

fourthandshort

So here is his HS bio from Goredbirds Roster .. he was billed as QB/athlete coming out of HS, including recognition as athlete .. which means he probably played special teams as returner, or spot duty on defense. But apparently did not play any regular defense in HS.

He's got 3 years to develop ... as dual threat, he can take a hit, and there were a couple times I wished he would have avoided taking a hit last season. Also noted that he led his team to 2 title games .. winning once as junior and returning to championship as senior but losing.

Dude is an athlete and a winner .. I like his chances at Safety.

https://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5789

Trinity Christian HS: Two-year letterwinner for head coach Mike Helmer … 2015 TAPPS All-State Division III selection as an athlete … also earned all-district honors as a quarterback and an athlete … completed 146-of-273 passes for 2,501 yards and threw for 28 touchdowns as a senior … also rushed for 722 yards and 11 touchdowns … helped the team to a state runner-up finish … threw for 1,877 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior … rushed for 370 yards and 10 touchdowns that season as well, while leading team to a state championship.

DannyCooksey

Interesting move. says a lot of Malachi as a team guy. Respect that a ton.

As for DB over WR.....might be just as simple as hands. Cam had exceptional, natural hands and maybe Malachi is not that way? just guessing.

the old saying is that DB's are DB's because they don't have the hands to play WR.

ISUBU

crazzymark said:
Hatfield must be making great progress....
Maybe...
But I don't think Brady Davis would be here if the group was so strong. Hatfield is young, with lots of time to get better. But the coaches have seen him closely for a year now, so I don't think he's ready. Kolbe was the best during the spring camp.

I think we'll see Kolbe and Davis battling for the starter role, with the other as backup. Tristan Smith is probably #3 based upon his camp performance the past two years. Then you'll have Hatfield but also a new true freshman coming in.

These situations always make me think of Kurt Warner, who was deep on the depth chart at UNI until his senior year. It can happen, but it just isn't that common as most players move on...to other teams or other positions. I don't think Broadnax will be the only one of this group to make an eventual change.

Reggie Redbird

Unless Jefferson is going to hands-down start as a true freshmen, you redshirt him. I expect the competition right now to be between Kolbe and Davis (true pocket passer). We have a good running game with a great group of RBs. If Davis can move anything like Kolbe with the ability to chunk off an 8, 10, 15 yard dash, that at least helps once or twice a game.

Good move for Broadnax. Hopefully his QB experience pays off and gives him good reads. He just wasn't going to be effective as a passer, which we needed this year to provide some balance. I think, with his athleticism, this is his best play to help the team and also have a chance to play at the next level.