Rankings...smh

crazzymark

. So here it goes, ISU is 7th in the Hero's up from 12th +5 spots, Stats poll 19th up from 21st +2, Coaches poll 20th from 21st +1, and in that poll there are 7 team o-1 of the Redbirds, including being jumped by a losing team. Going to be a long season in the coaches poll at this point...lol

Adunk33

Staff member
Dude, It's week 1 and we played a game that didn't count. Arguably, we are still 0-0. So any positive movement in any of these polls after our Week 1 game is a positive in my eyes.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
Dude, It's week 1 and we played a game that didn't count. Arguably, we are still 0-0. So any positive movement in any of these polls after our Week 1 game is a positive in my eyes.

I'm impressed you even deciphered his point :?

Virginia Redbird

crazzymark said:
. So here it goes, ISU is 7th in the Hero's up from 12th +5 spots, Stats poll 19th up from 21st +2, Coaches poll 20th from 21st +1, and in that poll there are 7 team o-1 of the Redbirds, including being jumped by a losing team. Going to be a long season in the coaches poll at this point...lol

I don't have any problem with fans that follow the polls and discuss them. Do your thing if you like that stuff. But polls mean absolutely nothing! Especially this early in the season. Of all the polls, the coaches poll means the least. Most, if not all, of these coaches, only watch the film of their upcoming opponent and have no idea what most teams are doing or how good they are. The only poll that means anything is the one at the end of the season when all the games are played and those teams that won and lost dictate what position you are in the polls.
If you like to follow the polls, by all means, enjoy yourself. But they are meaningless all the same.

Adunk33

Staff member
Tie for 18th in the Coach's poll and stayed at 19 in the STATS.

These polls are nonsense. How do we go up 2 spots beating an NAIA school and are pretty much stagnant after a similarly dominating win over a middle level FCS team?

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
Tie for 18th in the Coach's poll and stayed at 19 in the STATS.

These polls are nonsense. How do we go up 2 spots beating an NAIA school and are pretty much stagnant after a similarly dominating win over a middle level FCS team?
because those coaches polls vote like a representative democracy ... which is great for democracy such as US of A, but sucks for college sports FCS polling system ... most of the coaches are lazy, ill informed, and vote with regional bias.

I don't take any of this too seriously until we get to week 6 .. that is when most teams will ahve played 3 non-conf and 3 conf; plus it is also when the database is considered statistically "well connected" and systems like Massey and Sagarin get more credible for this years rankings. But even then, my preference is to rely on Massey Composite of 35+ polls.But the best subjective poll is usually AGS's own poll. The best statistically ranking systems is Massey, though keepratings site does something interesting with their starters/stats lost database that somehow is integrated into their rankings .. not sure how good they are yet. Massey just makes it easy to check these things ... but I really like Massey for quick SOS assessments.

More than you asked for .. but that is my take.

normalbird

As usual, fourth is right on re Massey Composite. It is interesting to read about the elaborate science behind each of the thirty-some polls in Massey, yet the ‘Birds are ranked as high as #4 (obviously a fine poll) and as low as #70 (this one is based on jersey colors and player tattoos). Let’s just keep winning!

Redbirdwarrior

ISU is going to have to beat some teams to crack the T10, but im confident we will. I think NDSU has the game circled on their calendar.

PurpleRedbird

Like our old friend Matt Foley said, these polls don't mean JACK SQUAT!!!! Just keep winning and the polls will take care of themselves.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fourthandshort

normalbird said:
As usual, fourth is right on re Massey Composite. It is interesting to read about the elaborate science behind each of the thirty-some polls in Massey, yet the ‘Birds are ranked as high as #4 (obviously a fine poll) and as low as #70 (this one is based on jersey colors and player tattoos). Let’s just keep winning!

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

My favorite on the Massey Composite is Mangels. It has NC A&T #1, UC Davis #3, Maine #6, Rhode Island #10, even Butler #16 .. all above NDSU #13 and JMU #25 ... so you know that's a good one to go to Vegas with !!!

crazzymark

As much as ranking shouldn't matter, it matters!! ISU and NDSU and SDSU are 3 of the best in the country, most teams in the top 15 have no depth and ISU has the biggest O and D Lines in all of football....seems like the pollsters are an anti MVFB bandwagon.

Adunk33

Staff member
After a bye week, Illinois State football moves up 3 spots to No. 16 in STATS FCS national rankings.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
After a bye week, Illinois State football moves up 3 spots to No. 16 in STATS FCS national rankings.

of course we did, cause we kicked that bye week's arse up and down the field !!!!!

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1044274191166570499

ChiRedbirdfan

ThisIsTheLineup said:
#8 in Athalon poll
#6 in AGS poll

These are all HUGE jumps.

After following the polls the past 3 years the AGS poll seems to be the most accurate poll. However only having 3 data points leaves all polls subject to big movements one way or another.

Redbirdwarrior

So, while ISU's game against MoSt is big this week, there is a potential national title preview going on in Fargo this weekend. I HIGHLY suggest we all keep an eye on that #1NDSU vs #3SDSU game.

topiarydan

So in the Coaches Poll - we sit at #10 after a road FBS game victory and mighty Elon is 2-1 (losing by 20 on road to South Florida) and they're at #9. Hmmm? Guess you can't have that many MVC close together

Total Red

Staff member
anything higher than #6 this week is ridiculous. Can anyone name all the FCS teams that have an undefeated record and a FBS win? I'll give you a hint. It's a very short list.

ISUBird

Total Red said:
anything higher than #6 this week is ridiculous. Can anyone name all the FCS teams that have an undefeated record and a FBS win? I'll give you a hint. It's a very short list.

On the other hand, we beat an NAIA team, an EIU team that has not won a game, and a CSU team with one win. I can understand a ranking like this.

Top Bottom