Rankings/Polls

MadBird

SDSU Jackrabbits play today at Target Field/Twins Field in Minneapolis vs. Drake. 2:30 on ESPN+ if you've got 2 TV's or devices ;)

fourthandshort

Finally Top 25 ! 100% 8-3 possible ? 9/2 if injury bug can stay away ! Six Different Valley Football Teams Ranked in Polls This Week

8-3 certainly possible given what Ice seen so far. But 9-2 .. not likely. We've got SDSU at Home .. let's assume for arguments sake, this is a Loss .. hopefully a quality/competitive loss. Then ISUb at home .. let's assume a decisive win (2+ TDS). But then YSU on road .. this is the game to circle, because YSU is looking very tough right now ... call this 40/60 since it is road game. Then we get UNI at Home, which is good .. because I still think UNI will get their act together and prove to be a good MVFC team. Then MoST (road) and Murray St (home) .. let's assume wins for sake of argument. Then we finish on road against a good UND.

So SDSU/home (gm 5), YSU/road (gm 7), UNI/home (gm 8), UND/road (gm 11) .. hard to see 2-2 record with these teams and this home/away slate. And even this assumes we beat EIU/road and MoST/road .. both likely, but not locks by any means .. though I like our chances today at EIU. We're healthy and ahead of "my" schedule IMO.

Bottom line, if we stay reasonably healthy and continue on current trajectory, I see 8-3 as most likely outcome. That and we need special teams to settle down some after rough outing against WIU. Just need special teams to play even and limit big plays/mistakes in tight games.

But hard to imagine 9-2 right now, because that means we have to beat either YSU on road or UND on road, and assumes we beat UNI at home, and not lay any eggs on remaining schedule. YSU and UND are just very tough teams right now.

Last edited:

Virginia Redbird

8-3 certainly possible given what Ice seen so far. But 9-2 .. not likely. We've got SDSU at Home .. let's assume for arguments sake, this is a Loss .. hopefully a quality/competitive loss. Then ISUb at home .. let's assume a decisive win (2+ TDS). But then YSU on road .. this is the game to circle, because YSU is looking very tough right now ... call this 40/60 since it is road game. Then we get UNI at Home, which is good .. because I still think UNI will get their act together and prove to be a good MVFC team. Then MoST (road) and Murray St (home) .. let's assume wins for sake of argument. Then we finish on road against a good UND.

So SDSU/home (gm 5), YSU/road (gm 7), UNI/home (gm 8), UND/road (gm 11) .. hard to see 2-2 record with these teams and this home/away slate. And even this assumes we beat EIU/road and MoST/road .. both likely, but not locks by any means .. though I like our chances today at EIU. We're healthy and ahead of "my" schedule IMO.

Bottom line, if we stay reasonably healthy and continue on current trajectory, I see 8-3 as most likely outcome. That and we need special teams to settle down some after rough outing against WIU. Just need special teams to play even and limit big plays/mistakes in tight games.

But hard to imagine 9-2 right now, because that means we have to beat either YSU on road or UND on road, and assumes we beat UNI at home, and not lay any eggs on remaining schedule. YSU and UND are just very tough teams right now.
I cant disagree. I don't see 9-2 at this point in the season. I can easily see 7-4 happening, but a solid chance for an 8-3 record if they keep improving and don't have a let down. A lot of football yet to go.

Manchester Matt

There’s your egg.

Redbird15

I cant disagree. I don't see 9-2 at this point in the season. I can easily see 7-4 happening, but a solid chance for an 8-3 record if they keep improving and don't have a let down. A lot of football yet to go.
After today I still believe they can beat UNI and Youngstown . I got to watch some of Youngstown game today their defense did not impress me no more than ISU. The key to UNII and Youngstown is which offense and defense will show up. Both of those games ISU can win. Last year in the dome we won and YSU was given a win. Now I will say 8-3 because both the Dakota teams.

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

After today I still believe they can beat NIU and Youngstown . I got to watch some of Youngstown game today their defense did not impress me no more than ISU. The key to NIU and Youngstown is which offense and defense will show up. Both of those games ISU can win. Last year in the dome we won and YSU was given a win. Now I will say 8-3 because both the Dakota teams.
Southern Illinois beat NIU, so maybe the Birds can! Not sure about beating UNI though.

ChiRedbirdfan

I believe 6 is the most likely number of wins given the state of the team to date. I then would guess 7 followed by 5 wins as the next two most likely number of wins.

fourthandshort

Machester .. you waited until after the EIU game to post the lmao emojie ... now that's actually funny.

fourthandshort

Offense got out game-planned or/and Zack was way off his game. Only watched 1st half since I had stuff to do, but Zack has never looked more off his game that 1st half. Improved some 2nd half according to stats I tracked, but not near enough.

Placekicking is big issue .. working on it takes months, not weeks. But when you pull your starter after 1 missed XP in game 1, you know you have a problem. And the answer may not be on this roster .. at least not this year.- .. we'll see there. At this point, you just hope to get to "average" as season progresses. The psychology of placekicking is a tough one .. trying harder doesn't help. Just takes lot of technique and practice to build the confidence.

Defensively has been mostly a pleasant surprise, but so hard to tell given our SOS .. run defense continues to shut everything down .. just 17 carrries for 58 yds by their RBs, then another 11 carries for -40 yds by QB, thanks to 8 Sacks, 12 TFLs. We'll continue to lead FCS in many defensive categories, or be top 5-10 .. run defense, TFLs, sacks, points, total yards.

But we have to right the ship on offense, hope Blakemore is going to be healthy, not to mention get Mueller back closer to 100%. Blakemore couldn't have been anywhere near 100% the way he walked off the field after his big run/injury. And I still have plenty of confidence in QB Annexstad/OC Peterson

Not going to panic ... EIU came to play with a game plan and a chip, we did not. We've laid eggs before and bounced back. But we needed that win yesteday .. so our playoff hopes took a hit. Now we have a lot less margin for error the rest of the way. I think we'll be fine on offense and defense .. just need to settle down in kicking game and find a way to overcome it.

fourthandshort

Haha, guilty as charged. :)

All in good fun. I love the depth of your posts and breakdown, both here and on AGS.

Let’s beat the Lions by 50 this weekend.
Ok, fair enough .. I saw all the other negative stuff, and assumed same intent .. my bad !!

All good.

fourthandshort

25th seems fair after last game and even our SDSU performance. Though it looks like a blowout, we made it competitive after slow start defensively.

6 bids also seems fair, though YSU probably more deserving right now. Which puts us 7th at this point. So we control most of our own destiny with upcoming game at YSU.

Top Bottom