Will they go after Spack?
0e741c95139f2d6d4c588fc3b426c436.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RedbirdSoxFan

SoCalRedbird said:
Will they go after Spack?
0e741c95139f2d6d4c588fc3b426c436.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would say know. I would take North Dakota State coach over Spack. At least he has proven he can consistently win at this level.

cubird

Must have a ton of Donors stepping up after paying 14 big ones to exiting coach plus stadium addition. So is the ACC better than BigTen? Big Ten got to be pulling in more revenue!

MadBird

fourthandshort said:
someone wake me when this thread is over .....

p.s. Spack isn't going anywhere.

Well, God bless him and I'm still happy with him as our coach, but PU isn't going to take an FCS coach with at best a 6-5 record/18-16 last 3 years (at best depending on Saturday). And I think like fourth says, he's happy here.

I don't like Dan Dakich one bit and would be happy if he were really wrong about this one. Brohm did pretty good at PU. Hard to believe Louisville is more attractive, altho $$$$ talks and BS walks, as they say. And he's an alum. Other than that, I don't get it.

Haven't thought much about "the next big thing" in FB coaches. That former UW-Whitewater coach (Leipold) has finally got Buffalo going pretty good, not sure anyone will think he's ready to jump up another rung. Would anyone take a flier on former Minny HC and Kill's DC Tracy Claeys? He's having a second good year at Washington St. as DC.

Reggie Redbird

cubird said:
Must have a ton of Donors stepping up after paying 14 big ones to exiting coach plus stadium addition. So is the ACC better than BigTen? Big Ten got to be pulling in more revenue!

1.) Big 10 is pulling in a lot of coin but Purdue MBB and FB probably use a lot of their TV money to fund operations. ULL's major programs seem to operate more in the black.

2.) Whether they end up paying Pitino any portion or his buyout or spend millions in legal fees and settle, their FB expenses won't come anywhere near that mess.

3.) It will be easier for Brohm to compete at his alma mater in the ACC than at Purdue in the B10.

Purdue is still going to go after a new coach at $2 mil+. Spack is the guy you hire of you have a dumpster fire, need to go cheap ($1 mil) , and want a caretaker to go 4-5 years and retire. At best, I'd see Spack going 6-6 or 7-5 and that's playing an Illinois-like non-con schedule.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:

Well, God bless him and I'm still happy with him as our coach, but PU isn't going to take an FCS coach with at best a 6-5 record/18-16 last 3 years (at best depending on Saturday). And I think like fourth says, he's happy here.

I don't like Dan Dakich one bit and would be happy if he were really wrong about this one. Brohm did pretty good at PU. Hard to believe Louisville is more attractive, altho $$$$ talks and BS walks, as they say. And he's an alum. Other than that, I don't get it.

Haven't thought much about "the next big thing" in FB coaches. That former UW-Whitewater coach (Leipold) has finally got Buffalo going pretty good, not sure anyone will think he's ready to jump up another rung. Would anyone take a flier on former Minny HC and Kill's DC Tracy Claeys? He's having a second good year at Washington St. as DC.

Agree for both reasons ... I don't think FBS is beating down Spacks door anymore - a little too old school and hasn't won enough. And I think Spack is mostly very happy ... he just has different priorities compared to most coaches. I have long believed he was much more about building than climbing.... and job satisfaction from what he is building doesn't get any better than what he has at ISU. He is allowed to be in charge and he seems to like it here. Very few other programs can match or check as many boxes for someone like Spack ... IMHO.

Virginia Redbird

Brohm has stated the the report is "completely false", so if he is like most FBS coaches...he is on his way to Louisville on the 27th. Just a joking a bit. Louisville is his Alma Mater and I would guess that would play into a decision. The Boilermakers are in the BIG 10 West which is arguably a much easier division to compete in and move up. I still think Northwestern is only a middle of the road team and they wrapped up the west with two games to go. The BIG 10 Gauntlet is the East with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State. After only two years at Purdue Brohm has made the team much more competitive and with another recruiting class may challenge in the West. Louisville looks to be a complete rebuild. In the end who knows what he will do but, just in my opinion, a BIG 10 job is higher profile job than Louisville.
If he does take the Louisville job I don't think there is any chance at all Purdue would consider Coach Spack. Maybe 2-3 years ago but the past three seasons have been very mediocre and I think Purdue would want a higher profile name as a replacement. I also agree with other posters that Coach seems to be happy at ISU and comfortable with being stable. I think ISU is very happy with him and any fan who thinks he should be fired and replaced needs to look back at the program before he arrived. Yes, I would like to see the Redbirds back in the Playoffs and in the Championship game. But it was this coach that got the program there in the first place.

Virginia Redbird

Sorry...forgot to include the link...

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2018/11/15/purdue-coach-jeff-brohm-louisville-speculation-completely-false/2014781002/?from=new-cookie

ChiRedbirdfan

Agree with the comments that Spack's opportunity was 2 to 3 years ago especially looking at the ISU football results. If people are getting frustrated by Muller, by comparison, Spack should be getting some heat too even with the national championship game, IMO. ISU football should be in the playoffs 3 out of every 4 years (a good debate item i agree) given how many FCS teams make the playoffs and who ISU competes against nationally. Yes the football team has come a long way with Spack but some of the improvement in ISU football with due to support by the university that was not there historically. Again Spack gets credit for moving the program forward however ISU football was basically near the bottom of 1AA/FCS and a major underachiever given ISU's size, stature and national academic ranking. Spack's last 3 years are not good given the momentum the program should have had coming off a new stadium and national championship appearance. By comparison WIU has done equally as well and they have had 3 coaches in 4 years and the university itself is struggling. Moral of the story Spack's resume is not looking too good right now given the results and he needs to up his coaching/results at ISU.

MadBird

Here's a story about PU's Plan A and Plan B, depending on what Brohm does (Plan A is pay him to keep him). No mention of Spack, FWIW.

http://footballscoop.com/news/inside-scoop-update-purdue/
Among the coaches we hear have been discussed at the highest levels in West Lafayette are: Neal Brown, Butch Jones, Skip Holtz, Tony Elliott, Matt Canada and Mike Norvell.

There's a summary of each coach's qualifications, and some more. Also mentions Dino Babers from Syracuse. Wasn't he at EIU for a while?

redbirds2000

fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:

Agree for both reasons ... I don't think FBS is beating down Spacks door anymore - a little too old school and hasn't won enough. And I think Spack is mostly very happy ... he just has different priorities compared to most coaches. I have long believed he was much more about building than climbing.... and job satisfaction from what he is building doesn't get any better than what he has at ISU. He is allowed to be in charge and he seems to like it here. Very few other programs can match or check as many boxes for someone like Spack ... IMHO.
Spack would take the Purdue job without hesitation. They didn't want him then and they definitely don't want him now.

ChiRedbirdfan

chuckie1980 said:
Funny. 2 year extension for Lovie Smith, ILL ILLINI...through 2023.

Illini AD doubling down on Lovie. Lovie continues current losing trend and both will be gone. That extension a big head scratcher

bb fan

Looks like yet another very expensive buyout on the horizon for Illini athletics.

chuckie1980

Probably less expensive. If he left today...I think he gets 4million.
My guess the AD is waiting for his next bud's availability in 2023/4.

Total Red

Staff member
Where does it say that the Lovie Smith 2-year extension is guaranteed? Pic of the signed contract on-line or it didn't happen. Just another desperate AD engaged in damage control until a change can be made.

Top Bottom