Position changes

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbirdfan21 said:
https://twitter.com/pg_reinhardt/status/1030133304404656130?s=21

SIAP

I didn't notice Hatfield with the QBs today. That explains it. Spack really wanted to put him on the defensive side of the ball. I can't imagine putting Hatfield behind Robinson, Smith, and Birch makes a ton of sense. But.. by his Jr/Sr year we could have some really good tailback pass plays in the book.

fourthandshort

Hatfield is an interesting move .. I think this kid clearly wants to play offense. We could use a speedier tailback type .. but why not try him at WR.

Hadden is an surprising move .. very disappointed to see Hadden move from WR to LB .. was hoping he was one who could have been a diamond in the rough that emerged this year to help take pressure of Schnell. Could mean they really like who else they have ??

PurpleRedbird

fourthandshort said:
Hatfield is an interesting move .. I think this kid clearly wants to play offense. We could use a speedier tailback type .. but why not try him at WR.

Hadden is an surprising move .. very disappointed to see Hadden move from WR to LB .. was hoping he was one who could have been a diamond in the rough that emerged this year to help take pressure of Schnell. Could mean they really like who else they have ??
My guess is that he really has to like who he has at wide receiver to make this move.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JHBird

fourthandshort said:

I too had high hopes for Hadden as a WR when he came here. He got in some games last year as a freshman so I thought he was on his way to being real good. I hope we have a lot of emerging WR talent (instead of him just not being good enough)...or maybe he could be a terror as an OLB? I guess he would have a lot of speed there, but he'll need another 20 lbs. I doubt we see much of him this year as he learns a new position.

If Hatfield is good enough to play RB, then that's a good enough reason to keep him at QB. Don't we really want a QB that can run the ball? I thought he had a good arm as well. Anybody know how he was looking in the accuracy department? Hopefully we just had too much talent at QB and he had to move to another position. Oh well, maybe he'll be another Zack Zenner. I could see him running the Wildcat a few times this year.

ISUBU

Redbirdfan21 said:
https://twitter.com/pg_reinhardt/status/1030133304404656130?s=21

SIAP
Wow, these are interesting moves. Not the moves you typically see. This staff has really been willing to move players unconventionally and has had uncommon success with it. I still can't believe how effective RB Collin Keoshian was as a defensive tackle a few years ago.

Sanantoniobird

I like that Smith is our 3rd option, I’ve been high on him since he signed. I think he’s the closest to anything we have currently to emulating 2014 at that position. If he finds some accuracy (least of his worries) and decision making skill (highest priority) I think he can thrive under OC Beathard.
Hatfield to RB is not a huge surprise. He’s a fine athlete that needs to see the field.

Total Red

Staff member
Hadden didn't have the hands to play WR. Hatfield will be a good special teams player and utility back for us this season and then a QB for another school.

StLRedbird

Total Red said:
Hadden didn't have the hands to play WR. Hatfield will be a good special teams player and utility back for us this season and then a QB for another school.
I think it's safe to say that neither Broadnax or Hatfield fit Beathard's view of what type of QB he/we need. Both were recruited while Dicken was OC, right? And then Spack talks about big arms while explaining why he recruited over the top of them. JMO

SgtHulka

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/man-in-motion-isu-s-broadnax-makes-move-to-safety/article_686311dc-5740-5eff-ba6c-9e1ea39ad730.html

Chi-bird

If I didn't know better (QB Pittser to D-line), I would say these position changes read like an April Fool's joke. It sounds as if Hadden's hands aren't as good as his legs...and our defense (although deep) doesn't have enough speed.

Redbirdwarrior

I never understood the concept of position changes, especially those that are like WR to LB or QB to D Back. These guys spent 4-6 years playing a position well enough to get a D-1 scholarship at that position only for coaches to try to re-package them into a position they have commonly never played on the fly. I'd rather have a 2 Star OLB freshman than a 3 star QB converted into an OLB. They'd have a much better understanding of the position.

This really does not count for players moving from like DE to LB or LB to safety- those are all the same concept with different assignments. But being so different is just strange to me.

RedbirdSoxFan

Redbirdwarrior said:
I never understood the concept of position changes, especially those that are like WR to LB or QB to D Back. These guys spent 4-6 years playing a position well enough to get a D-1 scholarship at that position only for coaches to try to re-package them into a position they have commonly never played on the fly. I'd rather have a 2 Star OLB freshman than a 3 star QB converted into an OLB. They'd have a much better understanding of the position.

This really does not count for players moving from like DE to LB or LB to safety- those are all the same concept with different assignments. But being so different is just strange to me.

Many players were outstanding player's at offensive & defensive positions in high school. One example was Sean Robinson from Rochester.
Sean played Quarterback and Linebacker @ Rochester. He played quarterback at Purdue his first two seasons, then they switched him to linebacker, where he became a starter (and defensive captain his senior year). I'm sure there are many examples like this.

Chi-bird

Redbirdwarrior said:

The reason is because, relatively-speaking, football requires less skills than other sports. A great football player is an athlete who is strong, fast, quick, has the right mentality, and has instincts. The rest can be taught relatively easily. That's why you see players like Devin Hester move from DB to returner to WR at the pro level. That's why players like Marcus Pollard can be an NFL-caliber Tight end even though he played basketball only in college. That's not to say there aren't skills involved, but it's not the same as shooting a basket, hitting and fielding a baseball, dribbling and shooting in soccer, and skating and passing in hockey.

TIMMY

Chi-bird said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

The reason is because, relatively-speaking, football requires less skills than other sports. A great football player is an athlete who is strong, fast, quick, has the right mentality, and has instincts. The rest can be taught relatively easily. That's why you see players like Devin Hester move from DB to returner to WR at the pro level. That's why players like Marcus Pollard can be an NFL-caliber Tight end even though he played basketball only in college. That's not to say there aren't skills involved, but it's not the same as shooting a basket, hitting and fielding a baseball, dribbling and shooting in soccer, and skating and passing in hockey.
I think that's right except QB. Why would you want to hold a clipboard for 5 years without trying a switch to get on the field. Just makes sense.

Top Bottom