Player Health

Adunk33

Staff member
Chastain is out another 3-4 weeks or so.
Taylor started light workouts again.
Dedric Boyd got a little banged up last week and missed a practice but it doesn't seem serious.

The team got the weekend off after a Thursday morning weight session and classes. They'll be back to the court Monday.

Adunk33

Staff member
Chastain is back doing some limited live drills. Taylor continues to shoot at the other side of the gym. Abdou is wearing a knee brace.
Looking forward to the exhibition next week and maybe Hoopfest on Friday.

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
Chastain is back doing some limited live drills. Taylor continues to shoot at the other side of the gym. Abdou is wearing a knee brace.
Looking forward to the exhibition next week and maybe Hoopfest on Friday.

Even if all three of those guys stay out we're still in way better shape than the previous two years. Next man up only works if you have men on the bench. I like that everybody will be available this year. I have no idea who are star players will be, but somebody will emerge. I'm still thinking Boyd will end up being our "scorer" after he gets acclimated. I'm thinking he and Torres will be driving to the basket much more than our previous guards did, and hopefully stopping the other teams from doing it at will. That will be a nice change.

Adunk33

Staff member
Update: Taylor has a ligament issue. The bone is healthy. It’s being equates to a sprained ankle.

Ricky rolled his ankle in practice and has a sprain. He’ll likely miss the exhibition.

Serious question here... Do other teams have this many ankle and foot injuries? Seems like a lot year over year. Maybe I am just hyper sensitive to it?
Also, are they hurting it in normal situations or odd things like... The edge of the basketball floor, slippery floor from sweat, somebody left thier toys out, trying to be cool, chest bumping two feet off the ground, etc.

Hamdonger

Adunk33 said:
Update: Taylor has a ligament issue. The bone is healthy. It’s being equates to a sprained ankle.

There's more to it. Same foot. No timetable for return. I think Taylor is a key cog for us to be good this year. Do not like how this feels at all. Part of me is beginning to wonder if we're even going to see him this year. Overreaction probably, but man...

Bird Friend

Humdinger said:
Adunk33 said:

There's more to it. Same foot. No timetable for return. I think Taylor is a key cog for us to be good this year. Do not like how this feels at all. Part of me is beginning to wonder if we're even going to see him this year. Overreaction probably, but man...

Maybe on the diamond in the spring?

Adunk33

Staff member
As of 10/29

Taylor isn't practicing
Chastain's in defensive drills with a billy club type thing over his thumb but they don't have a date set to get his cast off.
Ricky hasn't practiced because of the ankle injury. He may be able to play through the pain but tbd.

Adunk33

Staff member
WoodlandWarrior said:
That’s three key guys.

I'd say two for sure. Need Ricky's senior leadership at the PG spot and to be a mentor for DJ. Need Chas' leadership and tenacity out there.

We haven't seen anything from Taylor in over a year. It's a really sad situation and I feel bad for him. He just can't seem to get that foot healthy. I fear he could be running into that Madison Williams type of situation where he gets to stay on scholarship but be done with basketball. Taylor shows a ton of promise and could be a key guy-but that's a tough ask not having played any basketball since he played six minutes against Loyola on March 4, 2018. These feet things are really tricky. We'll see how patient he is willing to be with his comeback.

TIMMY

Adunk33 said:
WoodlandWarrior said:
That’s three key guys.

I'd say two for sure. Need Ricky's senior leadership at the PG spot and to be a mentor for DJ. Need Chas' leadership and tenacity out there.

We haven't seen anything from Taylor in over a year. It's a really sad situation and I feel bad for him. He just can't seem to get that foot healthy. I fear he could be running into that Madison Williams type of situation where he gets to stay on scholarship but be done with basketball. Taylor shows a ton of promise and could be a key guy-but that's a tough ask not having played any basketball since he played six minutes against Loyola on March 4, 2018. These feet things are really tricky. We'll see how patient he is willing to be with his comeback.
Adunk has anyone ever said what injury Taylor sustained? I don't remember hearing and it's been a while but it's starting to feel like lisfranc.

Redbirds84

Taylor’s injury is nothing serious like it was before. It was a grade 2 deltoid ligament sprain in that foot. He’s actually ahead of schedule from what they first thought. Still taking it easy so they don’t overdue it.

Redbird Alum 2004

Redbirds84 said:
Taylor’s injury is nothing serious like it was before. It was a grade 2 deltoid ligament sprain in that foot. He’s actually ahead of schedule from what they first thought. Still taking it easy so they don’t overdue it.

That's good to hear. We have the personnel to actually allow that.

SgtHulka

WeLoveTheBirds said:
Serious question here... Do other teams have this many ankle and foot injuries? Seems like a lot year over year. Maybe I am just hyper sensitive to it?
Also, are they hurting it in normal situations or odd things like... The edge of the basketball floor, slippery floor from sweat, somebody left thier toys out, trying to be cool, chest bumping two feet off the ground, etc.
I told Stallings years ago we needed to get a shoe contract with an orthopedic shoe company

Hamdonger

TIMMY said:
Adunk has anyone ever said what injury Taylor sustained? I don't remember hearing and it's been a while but it's starting to feel like lisfranc.

Haven't heard lisfranc around Taylor's injury but if that's what it is/was I wouldn't feel confident in seeing him on the court from here on out. Different degrees of that injury but it can be a brutal one. Again not saying it is as Redbird'ers have been alarmingly quiet on his injury but if it is...I don't see him coming back. At all.

Hamdonger

Redbirds84 said:

Something more to this story. I was quite surprised to see Taylor come up BIG in a few games his freshman year. Two games I can think of that we do not win without him. We need him this year. All the best, kid. And if the foot can't handle all the intense stop cut and go of basketball...ole Duffy might like to see ya.

Bird Friend

Humdinger said:
Redbirds84 said:

Something more to this story. I was quite surprised to see Taylor come up BIG in a few games his freshman year. Two games I can think of that we do not win without him. We need him this year. All the best, kid. And if the foot can't handle all the intense stop cut and go of basketball...ole Duffy might like to see ya.

Hope you mean Duffy Bass field, cuz Duffy's dead . . . and I hate the thought of a dead person wanting to see someone in particular . . . ;)

Bird Friend

Benson on Ricky's injury, plus other news

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/ricky-torres-ankle-sprain-could-keep-senior-point-guard-from/article_2978b9ea-cbe0-5844-9b8d-abff39039e5e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Top Bottom