Phil Fayne

DannyCooksey

He's been in double figures every game. Season low 13 points. Season high 24. Talk about consistency. Wow. His game log is just amazing.

4 double doubles and excellent defense every night. What a player he is.

I don't think we give him enough credit. I don't know if Yak was his lead recruiter but man has he been awesome.

Phil-----pls figure out the FT's. :D

But keep up everything else you are doing. :clap:

rdt99

His overall game is excellent. I don't understand leaving him on the floor the last minute of the game. You know they are going to foul him so put him on the bench. Missing 8 free throws is horrendous!

redbirdron1

rdt - I think you're spot on. Sit him down until he
can shoot 60% or whatever, I mean it's a shame and
it's probably already in his head. You bet - no way he should
be on the floor late. Not many rebounding options though is what
Muller has to deal with in this case.

Brick

He stops his motion on FTs right before he lets it go and it becomes a throw. Should be one smooth motion. But he will figure it out. We need him in there regardless ie the follow up basket to tie the game

redbirdron1

Brick - assuming you understand his motion due to your personal experience. aka - Brick

redbirdron1

Brick - assuming you understand his motion due to your personal experience. aka - Brick

ChiRedbirdfan

Fayne is a great defender and agree he does not get enough credit for that part of his game.

One for nine is an occasional Shaq like game. Really brutal...at that point he might as well go pop-a-shot style and try banking the damn free throw as anything else is better than how he is currently shooting. Agree it is very very difficult to take Fayne out of the game due to defense and rebounding: The team has to learn how to try and work around him on offense come foul time. One of the times he got fouled at the end of the game was due to him grabbing a missed shot. Had he been on the bench Indy State may have made that shot or gotten the rebound for another attempt?

cpacmel

Phil has spent his entire ISU career in first place in the MVC!

Here’s hopeing that continues!

Brick

Actually “Brick” was a nickname as a result of a childhood incident with my younger brother! 🤪. Nice try though! But seriously watch the video of Fayne. When he brings the ball up over his head he stops then starts his motion again and lets it go. Fatal flaw!

dabirds0987

Brick that is true. His first year here he improved his free throw shooting midway through the season, his hitch was not as pronounced. This year, however...

Sanantoniobird

I think we’ll have the option once DN is actually back—he’s slightly better at FTs. But, right now too valuable to bench late game.

SgtHulka

tenor.gif

He just needs to be more flexible

Bird Friend

rdt99 said:
His overall game is excellent. I don't understand leaving him on the floor the last minute of the game. You know they are going to foul him so put him on the bench. Missing 8 free throws is horrendous!
And yet, they didn't foul him last night. Even when Lansing was yelling at his player to foul Fayne before the ref handed the ball to our inbounds guy.

I agree that I'm not sure I want Fayne out there during the foul-a-thon at the end of the game, but in looking at the bench, I'm not sure we had anybody I felt all that comfortable putting in either. I thought putting him under the Syc's bucket for the inbounds play was tempting fate. I'd put him under our basket just outside the lane with instructions to not move.

Hamdonger

DannyCooksey said:
He's been in double figures every game. Season low 13 points. Season high 24. Talk about consistency. Wow. His game log is just amazing.

4 double doubles and excellent defense every night. What a player he is.

I don't think we give him enough credit. I don't know if Yak was his lead recruiter but man has he been awesome.

Phil-----pls figure out the FT's. :D

But keep up everything else you are doing. :clap:

You can tell, Danny, that you've played the game. Appreciate your perspective.
https://youtu.be/It5tdWr8Rs8

I'd give Phil advice on ft's but I'm sure 4 coaches (and most of the RA crowd) are in his ear about it already.

Hamdonger

One other thing. I'm frustrated, too, with a 1-9 showing at the free throw line. Crazy, I know. And clearly a mental block.

But we don't win TWO FREAKING GAMES without Phil Fayne up to this point. I'll take the struggle at the line and trust that he's gonna get better. If he can get to 60% I'd be pretty doggone happy.

Hamdonger

Humdinger said:
One other thing. I'm frustrated, too, with a 1-9 showing at the free throw line. Crazy, I know. And clearly a mental block.

But we don't win TWO FREAKING GAMES without Phil Fayne up to this point. I'll take the struggle at the line and trust that he's gonna get better. If he can get to 60% I'd be pretty doggone happy at this point.

Hamdonger

Phil's biggest value to the team, in my opinion, comes in the intangibles and energy he brings. As good as Malik is (and I do realize he's won us some games and I love him), outside of freakin free throws I think Phil is our MVP, from an overall perspective.

But hek, I guess you could make a case for each one of our BigThree. How 'bout tri-MVP's??

TIMMY

If you can bring in a "Phil Fayne" every year you're going to have a pretty competitive program. Feel good about bringing in two athletic bigs next year that will have a year with him.

Hamdonger

Phil has 42 offensive rebounds so far this year...WAY more than double than our next closest, who is Malik at 17. Phil had 7offensives in the IndSt game.

Offensive rebounds are ENERGY shifters. For the individual player, for the team, for the crowd...on both sides of the spectrum! OR's can give ya a heart - or steal the one you have. So many games turn on one or two offensive rebounds.

FYI, Phil is currently 34th in the country is offensive rebounding. By the end of the year he could be a top 10 or 20 guy in that category. Phil's value to ISU is IMMENSE.

Top Bottom