Ohio State Coach Canned

Adunk33

Staff member
Do we have an opening for an assistant?
I mentioned this in another thread. I think he’s going to be a hot commodity for another HC job but who knows. What if there isn’t the perfect fit and he offered his services to support Pedon? The salary would make here won’t matter since he’s sitting on nearly 13 million in buy out money.

MadBird

I don't know much about Holtman, obviously watched OSU many times in his tenure. But, he's gotta be the face of "what have you done for me lately" in college athletics. His teams, Butler and OSU, went to the dance SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW from 2014-15 to 2021-22 (not counting the Covid year when there was no tourney). 8 seasons in a row with 20+ wins. Last year he was 16-19, this year a winning record!! - 14-11 - and he's out on the street (trying to figger out what to do with his $13M). But seriously, how does a guy get into the crap house in one lousy season and one so-so season that's not done yet? The bar is very high in Columbus. You would certainly think he'll get picked up by someone as a HC with a record like that. DePaul?

DWRedbird

I mentioned this in another thread. I think he’s going to be a hot commodity for another HC job but who knows. What if there isn’t the perfect fit and he offered his services to support Pedon? The salary would make here won’t matter since he’s sitting on nearly 13 million in buy out money.

I don't think money would be the issue. I don't think either Pedon wants the appearance that he would only succeed because of Holtmann and I don't think Holtmann wants to go down on a sinking ship if we aren't going to succeed.

Birgs

I don't know much about Holtman, obviously watched OSU many times in his tenure. But, he's gotta be the face of "what have you done for me lately" in college athletics. His teams, Butler and OSU, went to the dance SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW from 2014-15 to 2021-22 (not counting the Covid year when there was no tourney). 8 seasons in a row with 20+ wins. Last year he was 16-19, this year a winning record!! - 14-11 - and he's out on the street (trying to figger out what to do with his $13M). But seriously, how does a guy get into the crap house in one lousy season and one so-so season that's not done yet? The bar is very high in Columbus. You would certainly think he'll get picked up by someone as a HC with a record like that. DePaul?
Not that the Bkue Demons could have possibly predicted this, but would be a nice "fall in their lap" thing for them, particularly considering the finances. Not necessarily the "splash" earlier DePaul talk was circling about a "Name" or "Image" guy, but perhaps a stroke of luck for a program desperately in need.

Don;t see it happening, but his termination odd enough in-and-of-itself... "who knows?"

MadBird

Interesting commentary/criticism in the Columbus Dispatch about Mr. Holtmann from columnist Rob Oller. I'm thinking of many of the criticisms on this board directed at Pedon. Hopefully its not contagious!:

The offense too often bogged down in a back-and-forth of wasted energy that was too heavy on dribbling. The defense was more miss than hit and the inside game never put a scare into opponents.

Especially perplexing was Holtmann’s inability to attract players from the transfer portal who were anything more than average Joes. And too often less than average.

cubird

If we have room for another assistant coach it better be someone that has a track record of teaching how to improve your shooting technique. Bottom line if we shot the 3 anywhere close to last year the team would have several more wins.Bulls hired DePaul Alumni Patton this year. Ayo is shooting the 3 at 41% which is 10% higher than last year. Now obviously we have no Ayo, but shooting can improve with repetition of good technique.

Bdub777

A guy smart enough to have a $13 million buyout is smart enough to know not to go to DePaul for his next stop on coaching carousel!

Bird Friend

Do we have an opening for an assistant?
FWIW . . . I was NOT serious. No chance he'd step this far down, especially since he can probably make more $$ as an analyst for one of the networks than he could here as an assistant to his former assistant.

Seven

Chris Lowery was B1G Assistant of the Year last year. Paul Lusk is a Purdue assistant. Chris Holtmann is shooting way above us as an assistant - he’d be offered by a top program easily (Capel was a Duke assistant after coaching Oklahoma).

ChiRedbirdfan

I am not in the camp of woe is me/"what have you done for me lately" sympathy for Holtman. He was getting paid millions of dollars to produce at the highest levels. Holtman getting paid big bucks with benefits of big lifestyle to succeed. there is zero tolerance for failure at that level. there will be plenty of takers for that job/money and all suitors know the expectatioms are high and the leash is short.

MadBird

I am not in the camp of woe is me/"what have you done for me lately" sympathy for Holtman. He was getting paid millions of dollars to produce at the highest levels. Holtman getting paid big bucks with benefits of big lifestyle to succeed. there is zero tolerance for failure at that level. there will be plenty of takers for that job/money and all suitors know the expectatioms are high and the leash is short.
Well, I'm asking if that record counts as "failure". Geez, you don't consider him successful? One stub of the toe and you're out. Seems "sudden". I'm not saying woe is me, just wondering how fast you get the hook these days.

But I know there's plenty of geniuses on this board and all over who don't give much room.

Reggie Redbird

Well, I'm asking if that record counts as "failure". Geez, you don't consider him successful? One stub of the toe and you're out. Seems "sudden". I'm not saying woe is me, just wondering how fast you get the hook these days.

But I know there's plenty of geniuses on this board and all over who don't give much room.
When you look at the B10 record, especially less year 1, that could be one reason. Another: 0 Sweet 16s. The non-con is also littered with cupcakes. People don’t get as excited beating EIU, Charleston Southern, and Merrimack. Holtmann had some good ones but a lot of padding.

ChiRedbirdfan

When you look at the B10 record, especially less year 1, that could be one reason. Another: 0 Sweet 16s. The non-con is also littered with cupcakes. People don’t get as excited beating EIU, Charleston Southern, and Merrimack. Holtmann had some good ones but a lot of padding.
+100...making the ncaa tourney 7 years in a row does not mean a lot at the highest levels (many programs have/had +15 year ncaa tourney streaks)...round of 32, sweet 16s, elite 8s..etc are a better measure. holtman was weak there. 500 overall in conference play also not going to help satisfy the buckeye fanatics. overall program trend not heading in right direction. long long line of coaches ready and excited to jump under the buckeye coaching microscope esp @ $4,000,000 a year and being in an rich athletic department program environment that now brings in 1/4 of a billion $$$s annually

Top Bottom