Next Year

WoodlandWarrior

We need a total makeover to maintain some semblance of competitiveness next year. While I agree that an emphasis on defense needs to be made, there are so many gaping holes......point guard, three point shooting, offensive sets, etc. I’ve been a fan since 1970 and this year was a disaster. Nothing fit. Our offense was Phil inside, Milik 1-on-1, or clanked threes that missed 70% of the time. It’s hard to see the ascension of other mid majors while we regress. Belmont, Wofford, Murray State, St. Mary’s etc. are good year to year. Why can’t we?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
It's a fair point. I think in the smaller conferences (not the WCC probably) if you can get that one player, then that can carry you to win your conference. Just my two cents.

Bird Friend

isuquinndog said:
It's a fair point. I think in the smaller conferences (not the WCC probably) if you can get that one player, then that can carry you to win your conference. Just my two cents.

Like a McDermott?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
McDermott was the best player, but he had some players around him until he was a senior.

Echenique, Gibbs and Wragge who was one of the best 3 pt shooters in the country his senior year, Dougies junior year.

Redbird Alum 2004

WoodlandWarrior said:
We need a total makeover to maintain some semblance of competitiveness next year. While I agree that an emphasis on defense needs to be made, there are so many gaping holes......point guard, three point shooting, offensive sets, etc. I’ve been a fan since 1970 and this year was a disaster. Nothing fit. Our offense was Phil inside, Milik 1-on-1, or clanked threes that missed 70% of the time. It’s hard to see the ascension of other mid majors while we regress. Belmont, Wofford, Murray State, St. Mary’s etc. are good year to year. Why can’t we?

I think the Marshall spread offense that duhon brought will actually be better next year. Key to that offense is ball movement and no players that are black holes where balls go to die.

chuckie1980

Next year would be a good time to change the RA experience and up the ante and the excitement of attending a Redbird basketball game. Keep the basic traditions but then rip the rest and change the purpose of the music/band....build on a great cheerleading squad and dance team....but add a POW type cheering Red Alert exclamation point.

Seating is changing...but change it more and make it a Redbird Pit. There is no reason why a RA experience isn't more RAW.

Why can't there be an Alumni Red Alert?

TIMMY

Defense. I agree this school and Dan need an identity. Make it defense. You want to see the floor? You go balls to the wall on defense. Make it hell for teams to play us. IMO it plays right into making RBA a pit.

RedbirdSoxFan

TIMMY said:
Defense. I agree this school and Dan need an identity. Make it defense. You want to see the floor? You go balls to the wall on defense. Make it hell for teams to play us. IMO it plays right into making RBA a pit.

Seems that is the way Dan coaches, but gets criticized on here when he doesn't play player's or pulls them out of the game for their lack of defensive effort.. So once again, no matter which way Dan goes he will get criticized on this board.

HT59

:text-+1:
chuckie1980 said:
Next year would be a good time to change the RA experience and up the ante and the excitement of attending a Redbird basketball game. Keep the basic traditions but then rip the rest and change the purpose of the music/band....build on a great cheerleading squad and dance team....but add a POW type cheering Red Alert exclamation point.

Seating is changing...but change it more and make it a Redbird Pit. There is no reason why a RA experience isn't more RAW.

Why can't there be an Alumni Red Alert?
:text-+1:

chuckie1980

I am with TIMMY, too....TIMMEH....Defense should be our identity and it would make RA a pit.

To think Mullins versus Muller defensive teams....BIRDS win 4-0 against Salukis.

redbirds2000

TIMMY said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
no matter which way Dan goes he will get criticized on this board.
That's a given.
When he makes the NCAA, the criticism will stop. It's that easy. Just ask Bradley.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CaliRdBrd

redbirds2000 said:
TIMMY said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
no matter which way Dan goes he will get criticized on this board.
That's a given.
When he makes the NCAA, the criticism will stop. It's that easy. Just ask Bradley.

Probably the best thing he can do is post some of these comments in the locker room.

TIMMY

CaliRdBrd said:
redbirds2000 said:
TIMMY said:
That's a given.

Probably the best thing he can do is post some of these comments in the locker room.

Like they would take this seriously. :lol:

redbirds2000

CaliRdBrd said:
redbirds2000 said:
TIMMY said:
That's a given.

Whatever works. Because what he is doing now is clearly not working.

redbirds2000

TIMMY said:
CaliRdBrd said:
redbirds2000 said:

Like they would take this seriously. [emoji38]
I guarantee they read this board.

TIMMY

redbirds2000 said:
TIMMY said:
CaliRdBrd said:

And take it seriously? if so their issues are bigger than I thought.

redbirds2000

TIMMY said:
redbirds2000 said:
TIMMY said:

And take it seriously? if so their issues are bigger than I thought.
The generation that lives on social media all day, everyday takes alot of crazy things seriously that we wouldn't.

RBFANTOO

TIMMY said:
I totally agree. It made Bobby Knight an ICON and Bob Donewald also did well with an emphasis on defense. Unlike offense (which you obviously need to play also) defense never disappears even in crucial tournament games. Some of this years top defenses are: Virginia, Michigan,Texas Tech, Kansas State, Houston, VCU, Cincinnati, and Oregon. Not a bad list to be on. The trick is to recruit players that are willing to play top level defense.

Hamdonger

Big believer in defense. No doubt about it.

But it perplexes me. Why can't a team thrive on both ends?

Top Bottom