Next year....will be a great season

crazzymark

All the haters are sounding like a bitter girl friend...there are a number of reasons that ISU will be in the driver's seat next season....let's indulge shan't we?

1) the O-LINE will only get stronger and better, one of the best lineman was a redshirt!!
2) once all the QB'S get more practice time, then a real good chance the Big B can be very effective , he has a hell of an arm..Hatfield is the real deal and the QB that is getting redshirted will be good as well
3) recieving will only get better.
4) secondary is going to be a very talented group
5) Running game will only get better with what we saw flashes of this season...
6) LB is going to be outstanding

I wouldn't be surprised ISU to see in the top 10 preseason based on how young the team is and the O-Line, QB and RB positions. And picked to be 1st or 2nd in next years MVCFB polls....Now if ISU could only recruit fans for the stands... :(

GO YOU DAMN REDBIRDS AND ...WIN...THIS...GAME!!

ChiRedbirdfan

Announcers taking about ISU out rebounding Tulsa. Duh...Tulsa has not had much to rebound on our offensive end as we are shooting so well.

Seeing Red

Final defensive stats. Top two tacklers return in Horton and Barry, plus we return Brees and Harris at 5 and 7 respectively. Need to replace our Senior studs this year on the DL and secondary, but we have some up and comers to do so. Also, pretty impressive stats for Barry having played in Nickel packages most of the year and then starting last four games at SAM. Led team in tackles vs SDSU and NDSU.

MadBird

With Hooper opting out for next year, we don't return much on the interior DL. Possible Jake Powell moves inside. Austin Galindo comes back I would guess inside, but he didn't get many snaps this year. Or Podkulski. Harris and Swaine back at DE. There's like 16 guys listed at OL, not counting redshirts (or Buffalomeat!) so possible some of them swing over to DL?? That's an area that needs some help.

LB we should be in good shape, and DB is probably okay.

Gotta get some help at WR. Figger out a way to use smallish TE Billy Bair at WR or some hybrid WR position.

I'm not totally down on Kolbe. Hoped for more this year, but you know, his stats aren't great, but not all that bad compared to last year. Well, not all that great - 12 TD's compared to last year's 22. 11 picks compared to last year's 7. Some of that goes to the WR's. But we need more from QB, no question.

You would think OL and RB are in good shape?

Address the OC issue, first priority. Most of us would probably agree with that.

Chi-bird

It's way too early to predict what next year will bring...but I think we take a major step forward in 2019.

Here's what I think are some keys for next year:
1. O-line to make big strides. We aren't going to be a great passing team next year. We'll need to be able to move the ball on the ground. This unit has to step up and be perhaps our strongest, or 2nd strongest.
2. We need a transfer or two on the D-line, preferably on the interior.
3. Kolbe needs to improve his accuracy and decision making.
4. We need a transfer Big-play wide receiver.

I think our young linebackers are solid and that some are going to be as good as we've seen here in some time. Who is going to step up at wide receiver?

TreRoberson4Heisman

Hopefully Barajas (Notre Dame) can make some noise the next two years. Didn’t see too much before his season ending injury.

fourthandshort

Defensively .. We're set at DE and LB, were ok at Safety. Going to wait and see how this unfolds at DT and CB ... got to have some people ready to step up in those 4 spots .. we lost a lot.

Offensively ,, we're set at RB, OL and TE. We need an OC before we judge QB position. Need help at WR.

Special Teams .. we lose a good Kicker, and need improvement or help at Punter. Otherwise, we have plenty of athletes for the cover and return teams .. should fine on that front.

RedbirdSoxFan

MississippiBird13 said:
I think we should check out the Baker kid a QB from Rochester, IL high school. Seems he can run our offense and he's mobile with a solid arm.

Living in Rochester, I have had the opportunity to see Nic Baker play many football games (including this past Saturday after sitting in the rain/sleet/snow of Hancock Stadium).
He will be playing in the annual Rochester Friday after Thanksgiving football classic (aka IHSA 4A Championship game) against Morris. I would love to see him in a Redbird uniform next season with former Rochester Rocket Matt Swaine. Unfortunately that probably won't happen due to the fact that Nic is only 5'8"
It will be a shame if Friday nights game will be his last in a football uniform. He has already broken all of Wes Lunt's passing records @ Rochester.

RedbirdSoxFan said:
MississippiBird13 said:
I think we should check out the Baker kid a QB from Rochester, IL high school. Seems he can run our offense and he's mobile with a solid arm.

Living in Rochester, I have had the opportunity to see Nic Baker play many football games (including this past Saturday after sitting in the rain/sleet/snow of Hancock Stadium).
He will be playing in the annual Rochester Friday after Thanksgiving football classic (aka IHSA 4A Championship game) against Morris. I would love to see him in a Redbird uniform next season with former Rochester Rocket Matt Swaine. Unfortunately that probably won't happen due to the fact that Nic is only 5'8"
It will be a shame if Friday nights game will be his last in a football uniform. He has already broken all of Wes Lunt's passing records @ Rochester.

I heard 5'9. But still, talent is talent. I don't care how tall he is. If he can ball, let the kid ball. His head coach was mentioned as a possible OC maybe we can get a two-fer!

cpacmel

MississippiBird13 said:

Committed to siu

https://twitter.com/nelsonnellyfam5/status/941522344698314757

RedbirdSoxFan

cpacmel said:
MississippiBird13 said:

Committed to siu

https://twitter.com/nelsonnellyfam5/status/941522344698314757

Enjoyed watching him play at Rochester the last two years. Would have loved to be seeing him in a Redbird uniform. But good luck at Southern.

redbirddad10

Critical year for the program, sense that the program is at a watershed. If talent is an issue, Coach can't blame anyone but his staff. They have had top FCS recruiting classes for the last 3-4 years. The Coaching turnover was inevitable if Coach stayed at ISU, top Coaching Talent will move on. You can't hold on to capable assistants at FCS. Coach Spack needs to retrench, bring in some fresh blood [OC choice a bit of a disappointment in that regard] and get the Team back on a Championship track. I'm far from doubting what Coach Spack has done with this program in his tenure and have faith the talent is there. Was very happy to see the addition of what appears to be a capable Big 10 Offensive Lineman to a young, talented group. Will be interested to see how the recruiting class comes in after the loss of some key Assistants. Assistants are the front line of your recruiting effort and to lose them before signing day is going to have an impact. Maybe this is a year we bring in a couple transfers to fill the holes and look to the roster to step up. Manage thru a down year in recruiting and tighten things up. Something has kept this team from making the step they expected to after the Championship run. Go Birds

salsa

I've seen the quarterback you have committed from Indy (Bryce Jefferson) and he is crazy talented. He had a small offensive line and had to scramble a lot but in a better system I expect he'll excel. I think he has the potential to be like Tre Roberson. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redbirddad10 said:
Coach Spack needs to retrench, bring in some fresh blood [OC choice a bit of a disappointment in that regard] and get the Team back on a Championship track.

Am I understanding correctly that you are disappointed that we brought back the guy who engineered the greatest offensive output in school history? I understand what you're saying about bringing in fresh blood with a different perspective. I also am interested in seeing how he does without two of the best, most talented players in school history. But I felt like getting Beathard back was HUGE for our chances next year and beyond. Guy has been around and has had success. I'm all for it.

fourthandshort

I get RBDad's point, but agree much moreso with Ballwin. People forget Tre's weaknesses as QB and how much we struggled to get our pass game going in 2014. Granted, having dual option QB like Roberson, with Coprich in backfield, was going to be potent no matter what. But I though Beathard did a phenomenal job coaching Roberson to his strengths.

Up until UNI loss, he was not passing well at all, other than occasional deep ball kept teams honest, but look at receiver group we had: Meredith, Neblett, Oshaughnessy .. 2 in NFL. Then look at his stats after UNI loss ... amazing transformation. Tre deserves lot of credit obviously, but I think Beathard was the one who made that work so well. Remember games like InSU, WIU (1st half), UNI .. it was bad at times. But Tre bounced back every time and became very consistent after UNI ... I give lot of credit to Beathard for figuring that out.

Date ISU Opponent Result Cmp Att Pct QBR TD Int Yds Yds/Att Att Yds TD F F-L

9/6 Delta Devils MVSU W62-0 10 15 66.7% 211.6 2 1 204 13.6 7 41 2 0 0
9/13 Panthers EIU W34-15 6 12 50.0% 199.6 2 1 159 13.3 8 21 0 0 0
9/27 Governors APSU W55-6 12 16 75.0% 274.1 4 0 222 13.9 6 30 0 0 0
10/4 Jackrabbits SDAKST W45-10 7 19 36.8% 118.0 1 1 168 8.8 14 151 0 0 0
10/11 Sycamores @INDST W20-18 16 31 51.6% 91.2 0 1 170 5.5 16 32 0 0 0
10/18 Leathernecks @WIU W37-34 15 26 57.7% 163.1 3 2 256 9.8 14 81 1 1 1

10/25 Bears MOST W21-7 11 18 61.1% 176.6 2 0 169 9.4 10 85 1 0 0
11/1 Panthers @UNI L42-28 15 35 42.9% 71.3 1 2 127 3.6 11 -5 0 0 0

11/8 Penguins YSU W35-21 16 24 66.7% 148.1 2 1 178 7.4 12 79 1 1 0
11/15 Coyotes @SDAK W45-26 16 29 55.2% 132.0 1 0 226 7.8 13 71 2 1 1
11/22 Salukis SIU W44-29 14 23 60.9% 220.4 3 0 319 13.9 12 94 1 1 0
12/6 Panthers UNI W41-21 22 33 66.7% 203.9 4 0 382 11.6 10 37 0 1 1
12/13 Eagles @EWU W59-46 19 24 79.2% 178.8 2 0 206 8.6 14 62 1 0 0
2015 TOTALS 208 359 57.9% 155.3 30 10 3221 9.0 171 1029

ESPN did not have UNH and NDSU games in above format. Below is different format for those games. UNH was strong pass and run game. NDSU was ok pass day, but very strong run day.

Opp Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long S R R-Yds TDs
UNH 18-31-0 278 0 77 0 12 95 1
NDSU 11-23-1 157 3 41 1 11 161 1

redbirddad10

Ballwin, only meant that I think FCS is a great place for up and coming coaches to get a chance to shine. I am a fan of many who have come and gone during Coach's tenure but going back to Beathard threw me. He left because of family obligations??? Ok, what has changed? Further, Coach seemed to pull the trigger quickly and I wonder if there was any other young talent he could consider???
4th does a great job of analyzing the production but in retrospect it turns out Beathard led a pretty extraordinarily talented offensive group. Safe to say the Seniors and Juniors on Offense were special top to bottom. I think he will have a greater challenge this time around and we will see.

fourthandshort

redbirddad10 said:
Ballwin, only meant that I think FCS is a great place for up and coming coaches to get a chance to shine. I am a fan of many who have come and gone during Coach's tenure but going back to Beathard threw me. He left because of family obligations??? Ok, what has changed? Further, Coach seemed to pull the trigger quickly and I wonder if there was any other young talent he could consider???
4th does a great job of analyzing the production but in retrospect it turns out Beathard led a pretty extraordinarily talented offensive group. Safe to say the Seniors and Juniors on Offense were special top to bottom. I think he will have a greater challenge this time around and we will see.
all valid points - though he figured out how to make Tre a more effective passer. I just think Beathard is big improvement over Dicken, and he'll figure out how to make it all work on offense.

Replacing 4 offensive coaches will be a challenge - but not yet grossly concerned.. But I most worried about impact on recruitment - recruits are going to be concerned. From there, I'm most concerned with our WR group, and replacing our defensive seniors .. Keene, Conley, Harris, Kocour, Glass, McCown, Graham, Holm .. 6 good to very good starters, plus Graham as nice speed rusher off the bench.

Top Bottom