MVC Non Conference Games - Does the decline continue?

jamminjamarsmiley

Last year the league set record lows for how poorly it played in the non conference. I have outlined Top 50 non conference opponents (based on the KenPom rankings https://kenpom.com/ ) for each MVC team. If the league wants to show it's not a complete pile of dogie doo doo, it should try to win some of these games. There are 12 total that I counted. I do not know if the MVC will win any of them...

*** Note, I am going off ESPN.com schedules, and may not include potential tournament match ups

Bradley
12/3 - @ #50 Memphis

Drake
11/11 @ #27 Cincinnati

Evansville
11/12 @ #2 Kentucky

Ill St
11/22 Vs. #27 Cincinnati
12/3 @ #46 TCU

Indiana St
11/13 @#3 Louisville

Loyola
None

Missouri St
11/15 @ #18 Xavier
11/29 @ #38 LSU
12/15 @#23 VCU

Northern Iowa
12/10 @ #37 Colorado

SIU
12/15 @ #39 Missouri

Valpo
12/21 vs. #44 Arkansas

After typing this out, I am sort of amazed how crappy a lot of MVC schedules are - Does Elgin need to implement the Janko rule? The league will not get better playing SIU E, Toledo, Miami OH etc

Sanantoniobird

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Last year the league set record lows for how poorly it played in the non conference. I have outlined Top 50 non conference opponents (based on the KenPom rankings https://kenpom.com/ ) for each MVC team. If the league wants to show it's not a complete pile of dogie doo doo, it should try to win some of these games. There are 12 total that I counted. I do not know if the MVC will win any of them...

*** Note, I am going off ESPN.com schedules, and may not include potential tournament match ups

Bradley
12/3 - @ #50 Memphis

Drake
11/11 @ #27 Cincinnati

Evansville
11/12 @ #2 Kentucky

Ill St
11/22 Vs. #27 Cincinnati
12/3 @ #46 TCU

Indiana St
11/13 @#3 Louisville

Loyola
None

Missouri St
11/15 @ #18 Xavier
11/29 @ #38 LSU
12/15 @#23 VCU

Northern Iowa
12/10 @ #37 Colorado

SIU
12/15 @ #39 Missouri

Valpo
12/21 vs. #44 Arkansas

Winnable games in order:

MSU can beat LSU. Ok, they are recently coming off the sweet 16, however they lost their 3 “all everything” starters and they have some question marks.

ISU can beat TCU. I only believe this to be true because I don’t think we are any worse or better than TCU (today). They have 2 guys returning from their NIT team, and are picked dead last in the conference. So yes, I’m saying there is a chance.

Valpo can beat Arkansas. New coach, very young last year, bottom tier SEC team. It’s certainly possible

Bradley could beat Memphis. High expectations coupled with young high school egos could spell disaster for Penny Hardaway...or it could be a massive shellacking for the fighting Kabooms.

MSU can beat VCU. sometimes it’s all about matchups. MSU has the talent at each position to theirs. This is probably the least likely probable win as VCU lost maybe 5 points from last year’s team. VCU is prob the best team on this list to include Kentucky (IMO), but if MSU lives up to the hype...

jamminjamarsmiley

Seven said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:
I do not know

The most insightful thing you've ever posted.

Thread derailed. Thanks for your very well thought out response Seven. Couldn’t even throw in one sentence that was actually on topic ??

ricohill

I've got a more positive outlook for the MVC here.

http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=MVC&year=2020

Just don't look at the ISU projection. 10-18 with a 6-12 conference record. I like what Dan is doing. Lower the bar so far down that his typical average season is considered a success.

Seven

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Seven said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:
I do not know

Thread derailed. Thanks for your very well thought out response Seven. Couldn’t even throw in one sentence that was actually on topic ??

Your thread was not made with an inkling of genuine intention for insightful discussion. The intention was 100% to bash the conference and you masked it with a throwaway "how many top-50 games will the MVC win?"
Does the decline continue?

the league set record lows

If the league wants to show it's not a complete pile of dogie doo doo

I do not know if the MVC will win any of them...

I am sort of amazed how crappy a lot of MVC schedules are

You know what kind of thread this reads as? A tornado thread. Several bias-ridden tabloids with the goal of trashing something and completely devoid of constructive criticism or discussion...all disguised with a (leading) question.

Put out something worth reading, and you'll get worthy replies in return. Put out nonsense like this, and that's the energy you'll get back.

ricohill

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-every-college-basketball-team-from-no-1-to-353-for-2019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/

jamminjamarsmiley

Seven said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:
Seven said:

Your thread was not made with an inkling of genuine intention for insightful discussion. The intention was 100% to bash the conference and you masked it with a throwaway "how many top-50 games will the MVC win?"
Does the decline continue?

the league set record lows

If the league wants to show it's not a complete pile of dogie doo doo

I do not know if the MVC will win any of them...

I am sort of amazed how crappy a lot of MVC schedules are

You know what kind of thread this reads as? A tornado thread. Several bias-ridden tabloids with the goal of trashing something and completely devoid of constructive criticism or discussion...all disguised with a (leading) question.

Put out something worth reading, and you'll get worthy replies in return. Put out nonsense like this, and that's the energy you'll get back.

Actually those are called opinions. Dictionary.com will teach you what that word means.

This is a message board ... a forum for people to share their opinions and discuss current events and topics. I’m so sorry my opinions don’t agree with the kool aid crew here. I should be banned for not wearing the rose colored RBF glasses.

I have not seen a single thread focused on the MVC non conference schedules. How is that nonsense?? The season is just a few days away ....

Seven

No one's asking for kool-aid. We're asking for constructive discussion. We see through tabloid-like quips and leading questions as axes to grind by the usual suspects.

Read this blog by an Evansville fan. Great example of someone using numbers to put together analysis. No agendas here.
https://eville-ways.com/

jamminjamarsmiley

You have completely derailed the thread with your non sensical approach here. Thanks for making RBF great.

If anyone actually wants to discuss the MVC and non conference schedules I’d be happy to hear your thoughts. Or maybe I will go to the Evansville forum. Looks like they actually want to chat about basketball....

ricohill

Seven said:
No one's asking for kool-aid. We're asking for constructive discussion. We see through tabloid-like quips and leading questions as axes to grind by the usual suspects.

Read this blog by an Evansville fan. Great example of someone using numbers to put together analysis. No agendas here.
https://eville-ways.com/

Not that I care that much, but that website pretty much says the Valley will be down and ISU is expected to be terrible.

Trey_Guidry4three

jamminjamarsmiley said:

Bradley
12/3 - @ #50 Memphis

Drake
11/11 @ #27 Cincinnati

Evansville
11/12 @ #2 Kentucky

Ill St
11/22 Vs. #27 Cincinnati
12/3 @ #46 TCU

Indiana St
11/13 @#3 Louisville

Loyola
None

Missouri St
11/15 @ #18 Xavier
11/29 @ #38 LSU
12/15 @#23 VCU

Northern Iowa
12/10 @ #37 Colorado

SIU
12/15 @ #39 Missouri

Valpo
12/21 vs. #44 Arkansas

After typing this out, I am sort of amazed how crappy a lot of MVC schedules are - Does Elgin need to implement the Janko rule? The league will not get better playing SIU E, Toledo, Miami OH etc

Maybe we can hope some of the other teams on the schedules are better than expected? Trying to be positive

The Beak

jamminjamarsmiley said:
You have completely derailed the thread with your non sensical approach here. Thanks for making RBF great.

If anyone actually wants to discuss the MVC and non conference schedules I’d be happy to hear your thoughts. Or maybe I will go to the Evansville forum. Looks like they actually want to chat about basketball....

I no no what the quality of the upcoming season

Ken Pom would likely rank the quality of Redbirdfan posters lately at 300+.

Adunk33

Staff member
Anyone else find it convenient that Trey, Rico, and Jamar all began posting around the same time after being kind of quiet for a bit? No? Just me? Alright.

The Beak

Adunk33 said:
Anyone else find it convenient that Trey, Rico, and Jamar all began posting around the same time after being kind of quiet for a bit? No? Just me? Alright.

Yeah, a number of us brought that up last season. Kinda Like Russian twitter trolls amplifying each other.

Seven

The Beak said:
Adunk33 said:

Yeah, a number of us brought that up last season. Kinda Like Russian twitter trolls amplifying each other.

There's 4-5 usernames that have the same writing style and use the exact same words. I've long suspected it's one person. Not hard to mask IP addresses.

jamminjamarsmiley

Is there anyone out there who wants to actually discuss the non conference schedule for the MVC????

ricohill

You think we are masking IP addresses to talk about Illinois State basketball? Now it really makes sense how Russia has interfered with our elections.

Trey_Guidry4three

Seven said:
The Beak said:
Adunk33 said:

There's 4-5 usernames that have the same writing style and use the exact same words. I've long suspected it's one person. Not hard to mask IP addresses.

Isn't it convenient that someone who joined a few months ago under the name "seven " spews venom such as the regular redbird know it alls on this board? If it isn't hard to "mask" IP addresses why don't you do it or put in a special request to have Quinn triple check?

Sanantoniobird

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Is there anyone out there who wants to actually discuss the non conference schedule for the MVC????
I responded to your post...as I was indifferent with your comment. You’re right, the non-conference is weak for most Valley teams. MSU is prob the only one that has put themselves in the at large conversation. But they would have to do some major damage as an MVC team. I think their schedule could actually push for 2 teams, provided they lost the tournament and won most of their non-con.

Top Bottom