MVC Game 17

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Two to go! Most seeds are coming down to the wire. All games on ESPN3, MVC TV is regional sports networks that I don't want to type out.

Northern Iowa 68
Valparaiso 63

Drake 81
Illinois State 89 OT

Evansville 53
Indiana State 58

Bradley 82
Missouri State 78

Loyola 75
Southern Illinois 56

Standings after 16 games:
Code:
<i>
</i>SCHOOL		CONF	CPCT.	OVERALL	PCT.	STREAK
Loyola		13-3	0.813	23-5	0.821	W5
Southern IL 	11-5	0.688	19-10	0.655	W3
Drake		10-6	0.625	16-13	0.552	W3
Illinois State	9-7	0.563	15-13	0.536	W1
Bradley		8-8	0.500	18-11	0.621	L1
Missouri State	7-9	0.438	17-12	0.586	L2
Evansville	6-10	0.375	16-13	0.552	L3
Indiana State	6-10	0.375	11-17	0.393	L4
Valparaiso	5-11	0.313	14-15	0.483	W1
UNI		5-11	0.313	13-15	0.464	L1

Adunk33

Staff member
I think it is very possible (though not likely) for SIU to lose their last 2 games with Loyola coming in and them traveling to Evansville. However, Drake will not lose thier last 2, putting that 2 seed out of reach. If SIU goes 0-2, Drake and us go 1-1, then Drake would be the 2 seed, we would be 3, SIU would be 4.

Bradley could also lose their last two (at MOST and home vs INST).

I can't remember the last time everyone was playing for something on the last week of the season. UNI and Valpo trying to fight off the dreaded 10 seed, Indiana State and Evansville trying to crawl out of the Thursday night hole, We are trying to stay afloat without our two post defenders, Here we go!

This is fun. We're only 10 days away!

Birdswin

Very good summary of the situation Adunk - I will add, I do not see SIU or PU BU losing both of their final games - not out of the realm of possibility, but not probable.

Drake seems to be playing well and finding ways - after Mo State went ahead, I thought Drake was toast - missed free throws in the last 40 seconds, opened the door and Timmer hits a 30 foot bomb. For Mo State - Johnson misses a free throw and then Dixon misses two - Kreklow the Bears best free throw shooter was in the group that got kicked out. Meanwhile, in three of the last 4 games (all but the one against us) the BU Braves have melted down in the second half in all three of those losses. I certainly hope that trend continues.

Redbird222

Adunk33 said:
I think it is very possible (though not likely) for SIU to lose their last 2 games with Loyola coming in and them traveling to Evansville. However, Drake will not lose thier last 2, putting that 2 seed out of reach. If SIU goes 0-2, Drake and us go 1-1, then Drake would be the 2 seed, we would be 3, SIU would be 4.

Bradley could also lose their last two (at MOST and home vs INST).

I can't remember the last time everyone was playing for something on the last week of the season. UNI and Valpo trying to fight off the dreaded 10 seed, Indiana State and Evansville trying to crawl out of the Thursday night hole, We are trying to stay afloat without our two post defenders, Here we go!

This is fun. We're only 10 days away!

We are 2 games behind SIU. The only way we pass them is we go 2 -0 and they lose both their games. We would win the tie breaker based on RPI.

Also, if we win out last 2 games we will have the tie breaker over Drake (split head to head and ISU has better RPI). They are only one game ahead of us.

If Loyola beats SIU ... maybe they have a slight let down the last game. Who knows but let's beat Drake first.

Redbirdfan21

Looks like we may be at full strength.

https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/965638049504874497

ThisIsTheLineup

Redbirdfan21 said:
Looks like we may be at full strength.

https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/965638049504874497

That is great news! I figure TB would be back - usually concussion protocol is one week (this Sunday would be one week). PF looked like he was walking with little to no limp Saturday.

Let's build some momentum for STL!!!

Topoly28

How would drake be ahead of us if we win out and then they lose to us but win next Sunday? We have about 30 spots ahead of them in RPI

ThisIsTheLineup

Topoly28 said:
How would drake be ahead of us if we win out and then they lose to us but win next Sunday? We have about 30 spots ahead of them in RPI

I don't think anyone said they would be ahead of us if we win out. I would assume the above posters were factoring in a loss for us to Loyola.

Sladerunningbear

I have a feeling we will be playing Missouri State in the 4-5. That would be the last team I would want to play.

Rollbirds5

Sladerunningbear said:
I have a feeling we will be playing Missouri State in the 4-5. That would be the last team I would want to play.

Ideally we miss MSU, Drake, Loyola and Indiana State until sunday in my opinion

Manchester Matt

Sladerunningbear said:

Bet their fans are saying the same thing.

Birdman85

I don't care who we play. With this group we could lose by 20 to anybody or win by 20 over anybody. My prediction is if Boogie doesn't play well we will struggle in the tourny. Hate to put it on one kid but he gets us over the edge when he plays well.

Morans14

Birdman85 said:
I don't care who we play. With this group we could lose by 20 to anybody or win by 20 over anybody. My prediction is if Boogie doesn't play well we will struggle in the tourny. Hate to put it on one kid but he gets us over the edge when he plays well.
I agree it is bad to put it on one player. If we are locked in and playing defense, I like our chances against anyone in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SgtHulka

Birdman85 said:

Turnovers will be my predictor. 15+ and our odds of winning drop dramatically. 9 by one player and well...buh bye now
giphy.gif

Topoly28

ThisIsTheLineup said:
Topoly28 said:

I don't think anyone said they would be ahead of us if we win out. I would assume the above posters were factoring in a loss for us to Loyola.

"However, Drake will not lose thier last 2, putting that 2 seed out of reach." I was reacting to this statement; which is not true. Drake doesn't have to lose their last two for us to get the two seed. We'd have to beat Loyola to have any shot at the two seed....so why would anyone talk about the 2 seed assuming a loss to Loyola?

Reggie Redbird

SgtHulka said:
Birdman85 said:

Turnovers will be my predictor. 15+ and our odds of winning drop dramatically. 9 by one player and well...buh bye now
giphy.gif

With our strategy seemingly not to go for offensive rebounds and sprint back on D, there isn't much difference between MY shooting 8-10 from the field and having 7 turnovers or shooting 3-10 with 2 turnovers. However, we need to be talking about how he offset the turnovers with 20+ points, 5 steals, and 10 assists.

Baltimore Bird

Slade....I see us playing the Gargoyles at 230 on Friday afternoon! That will be fun. I think you still owe me a beer.

cpacmel

I’m sure this has been pointed out but game 17 features:

#1 at #2
#3 at #4
#5 at #6
#7 at #8
#9 at #10

SgtHulka

Reggie Redbird said:
SgtHulka said:
Birdman85 said:

giphy.gif

With our strategy seemingly not to go for offensive rebounds and sprint back on D, there isn't much difference between MY shooting 8-10 from the field and having 7 turnovers or shooting 3-10 with 2 turnovers. However, we need to be talking about how he offset the turnovers with 20+ points, 5 steals, and 10 assists.
Without reviewing his high turnover games it seems he trades assists for turnovers more than points or rebounds. Against UNI he had 9 assists to 2 turnovers. At any rate it's the overall team turnovers that kill us. Rebounding generally sucks regardless of the outcome.

Top Bottom