Mullins out at SIU

Red Rocker

He beat us twice and gets fired. We were 2 of 7 against the bottom 3 teams in the league. Maybe he could consult us.

cpacmel

He was going into the last year of his deal. Lame duck is hard to coach (Recruit). His last 2 years were probably his best 2 as well. 42-23 and 25-15 in conf. Lost a ton in the portal or else this year would have been much different.

ISU86

He was going into the last year of his deal. Lame duck is hard to coach (Recruit). His last 2 years were probably his best 2 as well. 42-23 and 25-15 in conf. Lost a ton in the portal or else this year would have been much different.
A little surprising, especially when factoring the Portal departures (primarily Domask and Jones, less so on Banks and Wonders). Pre-season pick of 9th in the conference, finished 6th (was third in conference Coach of the Year voting and even got a first place vote). The only other team who exceeded by that margin was the Sycamores.

A little less surprising given today's landscape (and the need for instant gratification). Difficult for any non-P5 to develop AND sustain a program.

cpacmel

Rumor in St Louis is Smith-Peters has the job

After listening to this, it sounds like the AD has a guy in mind. Someone with head coaching experience and doesn't necessarily at the D1 Level. So could be him. Time will tell.

MadBird

Tyler Smithpeters is HC at Logan JC. Kyle Smithpeters is now asst at Missouri. We're talking Kyle here, right?

Funny, when I read Mullins was out, it made me think of Rich Herrin, and how outside the box that seemed to be back in the day when SIU hired him. Turned out pretty good.

Buffett1

Tyler Smithpeters is HC at Logan JC. Kyle Smithpeters is now asst at Missouri. We're talking Kyle here, right?

Funny, when I read Mullins was out, it made me think of Rich Herrin, and how outside the box that seemed to be back in the day when SIU hired him. Turned out pretty good.
Was a MVC Sixth Man of the Year and MVC All-Bench Team captain. While at SIU

ISU86

Was a MVC Sixth Man of the Year and
MVC All-Bench Team captain. While at SIU.
Both Smithpeters played in Carbondale.

Kyle in 2004-06 (fifteen games), following two seasons at John A. Logan. Assistant Coach stops at Southeastern Illinois, John A. Logan, Missouri State (Paul Lusk) and Missouri (current, Dennis Gates). Head coach at John A. Logan for ten seasons (eight time conference Coach of the Year).

Tyler in 2013-2018 (126 games, one time conference Sixth Man of the Year and All-Bench Team Captain). Assistant Coach stop at John A. Logan. Head coach at John A. Logan (current) for two seasons (one time conference, region, and national NJCAA Coach of the Year).

Redbird222

Both Smithpeters played in Carbondale.

Kyle in 2004-06 (fifteen games), following two seasons at John A. Logan. Assistant Coach stops at Southeastern Illinois, John A. Logan, Missouri State (Paul Lusk) and Missouri (current, Dennis Gates). Head coach at John A. Logan for ten seasons (eight time conference Coach of the Year).

Tyler in 2013-2018 (126 games, one time conference Sixth Man of the Year and All-Bench Team Captain). Assistant Coach stop at John A. Logan. Head coach at John A. Logan (current) for two seasons (one time conference, region, and national NJCAA Coach of the Year).
Kyle is my understanding

ChiRedbirdfan

About 6 weeks or so ago I went to the siu vs uic game and the topic of Mullen being on the hot list was discussed at a pregame lunch meeting. I was with 6 individuals and 4 of them were currently prominent high school or eybl coaches. Another individual was previously an assistant in the MVC but no longer is in the coaching ranks. They all have a good understanding of the past and current MVC. Most thought Mullen was in a very short leash. I brought up the favored son and Isu muller situation and they all, surprisingly to me, said that (letting him hang around too long) would not happen at siu as the cultures are different. They claim that winning at siu is a higher priority than Isu…ie expectations from fans and staff is higher and they demand more
I was stunned to hear that and quite frankly have no knowledge if that is indeed true. That conversation still gives me a hollow feeling about Isu athletics whenever I think about it.

Last edited:

Manchester Matt

I’m sure the fanbase will be jacked to bring in an assistant from a program that’s about to go 0-18 in conference.

Top Bottom