Muller's Summer Press Conference

Adunk33

Staff member
The reason there was news today is because Muller addressed the media. A bunch was covered. Here are my key takeaways.

Fisher will either have 2 or 3 years depending on the NCAA waiver.
Muller offered Abdou a year ago.
He expects both freshmen to contribute in year one.
Chastain and Copleand will contribute “significantly”

How the scholarship situation played out:
It was all based on Abdou. He was taking other visits and ISU told Keith if Abdou commits we have no scholarships. They were about cancel Keith’s visit and Matt Hein volunteered to give his scholarship up for a year. If it’ll help the team, it will help Matt during his senior year having another guy ready to play. He will get his scholarship back. Hein giving up his scholarship doesn’t change his role with the team.
He says we have 13 on scholarship, though the Scholarship matrix has us +2. Muller would not comment on anyone else’s scholarship. Chastain or Gassman will likely have one, not both.

Elijah Clarance will not be on campus this summer. He is competing for the 20U Swedish National Team. He’ll be on campus on July 20. Muller recommended he play for the national team. He’ll be in camp and getting more game experience. “Whatever he chooses, he needs to get better this summer.”

Muller isn’t worried about post play losing David. Phil, Rey, and Taylor will fill the role.
Assistant coach… “Still waiting.” He had someone he was excited about but it didn’t work out.
Schedule- He’s looking for home and homes. Three left to officially schedule. Has not made a call about a buy game.
“This will be the most really good players I’ve ever had here.”

On players transferring:“I believe every player in this program is extremely happy to be here. I bet if you asked David he would have been happy to.
They didn’t want Mikyle to leave. They planned Deontae to move on. “Other couple of guys that left really wanted to stay.” (DJ Clayton, Jerron Martin, Nick Banyard are my guesses for this category over the last 2 years.)

No questions on Romine, so that remains a mystery.

Full video: http://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=7760&type=Archive

Redbird28

isuquinndog said:
Why can't anyone ask about Romine? Like, is no one else curious besides us?

Likely because they already know the answer, and don't want to be the ones to bring it up...just a guess.

TIMMY

Phil, Rey, and Taylor will fill the role in the post. I don't think Romine is a point guard. Mystery solved.

Retire 12

"Heck yeah I'm picking us first"....

Hard to not be pumped up by this press conference. You can tell he's REALLY excited to have the group that he does.
This could be a fun season guys... LETS GO!!!

redbirdron1

Hein will now become everyone's fav for donating his ride. What a guy!

Told my buddy that a couple weeks back. You watch, he'll get in a few games and when he
scores the place will B up for Grabs. Everybody loves a hero.

Redbirdwarrior

Retire 12 said:
"Heck yeah I'm picking us first"....

Hard to not be pumped up by this press conference. You can tell he's REALLY excited to have the group that he does.
This could be a fun season guys... LETS GO!!!

For the first time in awhile, Coach won't be alone with picking ISU first. I'm sure the defending champs will get most of the votes, but I expect ISU to get 3-4 first place votes.

bombay

On Elijah - "Whatever he chooses, he needs to get better this summer".

Hmmm

Adunk33

Staff member
bombay said:

Hmmm

He said that about every player. It's every player's job to get better over the summer no matter if they are on campus or playing on a national team.

DWRedbird

Adunk33 said:
bombay said:

Hmmm

He said that about every player. It's every player's job to get better over the summer no matter if they are on campus or playing on a national team.

Listening to it I believe Muller said that "whatever he chooses, its on him to get better" meaning that they could help him working on his weaknesses here if he didn't play on his national team, but since he is, he needs to do that. At least that's how I would take it.

Retire 12

I think it's cool AF that Muller lets the player decide and take responsibility for their actions regarding national teams etc.

We really are blessed with having HCDM at the helm... I hope nobody is taking that for granted.

bombay

Adunk33 said:
bombay said:

Hmmm

Ah, ok. I thought maybe it was get better or else.

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
bombay said:

Hmmm

Plus one of the major things they work on in the summer is weight training, and getting stronger. Strength isn't Elijah's problem. He needs more time competing against good players in pressure situations, not pick up summer ball in Horton . I think the coach just worries cause they can't really check his progress if he's overseas, but it's a great opportunity for EC to play for his country. You just cross your fingers and hope he comes back much improved.

jwa123

TIMMY said:
Phil, Rey, and Taylor will fill the role in the post. I don't think Romine is a point guard. Mystery solved.

:text-+1:
Logic prevails.

ILSTUGRAD11

jwa123 said:
TIMMY said:

Logic prevails.

That plus he is not on the roster on goredbirds.com. So now we are +1 on scholarships. I presume since Muller seemed to make it clear that Gassman's scholarship was just for last year just because they had an extra one so why let it go to waste that he would return to being a walk-on. Kind of crazy that we could get real contributions from 3 different walk-ons next year (Gassman, Hein, and Chastain).

Redbrd1

ILSTUGRAD11 said:
jwa123 said:
TIMMY said:

Logic prevails.

That plus he is not on the roster on goredbirds.com. So now we are +1 on scholarships. I presume since Muller seemed to make it clear that Gassman's scholarship was just for last year just because they had an extra one so why let it go to waste that he would return to being a walk-on. Kind of crazy that we could get real contributions from 3 different walk-ons next year (Gassman, Hein, and Chastain).

Do we know for sure that Chastain isn’t getting a scholly? Also, what the hell happened to Romine?

Tpguy

Redbrd1 said:
ILSTUGRAD11 said:
jwa123 said:
Logic prevails.

Do we know for sure that Chastain isn’t getting a scholly? Also, what the hell happened to Romine?

The same thing that happened to Kaiser Soze

Redbird Alum 2004

Redbrd1 said:
ILSTUGRAD11 said:
jwa123 said:
Logic prevails.

I am not sure if it will ever come out publicly. It is definitely a private matter and I firmly believe if the family wants the public to know then they will give Dan the green light to discuss. This isn't a look what I know but just someone respecting the family and student.

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbrd1 said:
So who are the 13 scholly players?

1- Milik
2- Fayne
3- Boogie
4-Keyshawn
5-Copeland
6-Jefferson
7-Elijah
8-Taylor
9-Rey
10-Abdou
11-Boyd
12- Fisher
13-Hillsman.
WO:Chastain
WO:Gassman
WO: Hein.

Though Muller didn't speak directly to it, I believe Gassman will lose his and Chastain will stay off scholarship.

It'll be tough not to have at least 10 man rotation next season. All 3 eligible walk-ons can contribute. It'll be interesting to see how the minutes pan out. Everyone knows the top 5 to be the 4 seniors and Copeland. After that, minutes are available. I expect Elijah, and Chastain to be 2 of the top 8. I would love to continue to see Taylor get minutes too. It's hard to establish a rhythm playing 12 guys, but we very well could.

Top Bottom