Muller's End of the Year Press Conference

Adunk33

Staff member
It is on goredbirds.com http://www.goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=7700&type=Archive

Not too much to take away other than Muller saying Milik will do what we expected him to and enter his name in the draft without an agent. As previously mentioned, Muller said he was not a grad-transfer candidate as of now, but neither were Hawkins or McIntosh. Both had to complete the summer session to be graduated. I believe Paris and Tony were the same way. Which kind of surprises me because they were here 4 years and had to be enrolled in a summer class to be allowed to be in summer workouts at ISU. Thinking back that should have given them 12, or at least 9 additional credits which equates to a semester worth of work.

Regarding scheduling. One year ago today, Muller scheduled the Ole Miss game via Twitter. He is likely just a little discouraged due to inability to see results from the committees through this type of scheduling. However, it comes down to winning some of these games. Last season if we hold on at Murray State, TCU, and Tusla, we are likely in with a 30-3 record, 2 of 3 losses coming to Wichita State (the other to San Francisco). This year, if we don't lost to Charleston Southern, Murray State, and BYU, Nevada, or Boise State, we are probably in the NIT with a 22-11 record. We can play the woulda-coulda-shoulda- game all day, but in the end, this scheduling really doesn't mean anything without winning some of these games. I have said before, regardless of the outcome, I prefer this type of scheduling 100% versus the Jank-type. I do think the schedule and adversity made this team tougher. For example, had we not lost 2 games in a row leading up to Ole Miss, we probably don't win that one. If we don't win at Ole Miss, we probably don't go 4-0 in overtimes in the MVC.

Next season, our team is going to be tested early and often. Muller mentioned they only have around 3 more games to schedule and then tongue-in-cheek mentioned as long as nothing changes with current contracts. I think he was referring to Ole Miss.

Generally speaking. I hope Milik comes back like Alize did for Mo State and has a player of the year-type year. He will be THE guy in the Valley, and Muller thinks one of the best in college basketball.

A few final notes: Muller spoke very highly of Zach and said he will be a huge a part of next years team, and would have been this year if he is eligible. Muller said he did not know if Matt Chastain would have a scholarship or not next year. He is allowed to but it hasn't been decided, unfortunately no follow up from the media. They are most actively recruiting Juco bigs like traditional 5 men, and guards who can shoot. He didn't turn down the idea of adding a Grad-transfer or D1 transfer- They just will have a much large pool to recruit from in a few weeks. Finally, Keyshawn may have surgery on his knee in the off-season. It is not required but could help his health for next season.

Individual meetings with players will begin next week to determine who is transferring it what-not. Muller said every coach in the country assumes to have at least one, but wouldn't speculate out of fairness to the players.

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
It is on goredbirds.com http://www.goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=7700&type=Archive

Not too much to take away other than Muller saying Milik will do what we expected him to and enter his name in the draft without an agent. As previously mentioned, Muller said he was not a grad-transfer candidate as of now, but neither were Hawkins or McIntosh. Both had to complete the summer session to be graduated. I believe Paris and Tony were the same way. Which kind of surprises me because they were here 4 years and had to be enrolled in a summer class to be allowed to be in summer workouts at ISU. Thinking back that should have given them 12, or at least 9 additional credits which equates to a semester worth of work.

Regarding scheduling. One year ago today, Muller scheduled the Ole Miss game via Twitter. He is likely just a little discouraged due to inability to see results from the committees through this type of scheduling. However, it comes down to winning some of these games. Last season if we hold on at Murray State, TCU, and Tusla, we are likely in with a 30-3 record, 2 of 3 losses coming to Wichita State (the other to San Francisco). This year, if we don't lost to Charleston Southern, Murray State, and BYU, Nevada, or Boise State, we are probably in the NIT with a 22-11 record. We can play the woulda-coulda-shoulda- game all day, but in the end, this scheduling really doesn't mean anything without winning some of these games. I have said before, regardless of the outcome, I prefer this type of scheduling 100% versus the Jank-type. I do think the schedule and adversity made this team tougher. For example, had we not lost 2 games in a row leading up to Ole Miss, we probably don't win that one. If we don't win at Ole Miss, we probably don't go 4-0 in overtimes in the MVC.

Next season, our team is going to be tested early and often. Muller mentioned they only have around 3 more games to schedule and then tongue-in-cheek mentioned as long as nothing changes with current contracts. I think he was referring to Ole Miss.

Generally speaking. I hope Milik comes back like Alize did for Mo State and has a player of the year-type year. He will be THE guy in the Valley, and Muller thinks one of the best in college basketball.

A few final notes: Muller spoke very highly of Zach and said he will be a huge a part of next years team, and would have been this year if he is eligible. Muller said he did not know if Matt Chastain would have a scholarship or not next year. He is allowed to but it hasn't been decided, unfortunately no follow up from the media. They are most actively recruiting Juco bigs like traditional 5 men, and guards who can shoot. He didn't turn down the idea of adding a Grad-transfer or D1 transfer- They just will have a much large pool to recruit from in a few weeks. Finally, Keyshawn may have surgery on his knee in the off-season. It is not required but could help his health for next season.

Individual meetings with players will begin next week to determine who is transferring it what-not. Muller said every coach in the country assumes to have at least one, but wouldn't speculate out of fairness to the players.

I figured he needed to look for a point guard more than a shooting guard. Evans can shoot, so can Copeland. That took me 'off guard' a bit. Does that mean he thinks Clarance will not only stay but be effective next year?

PubIIDreaming

JHBird said:
I figured he needed to look for a point guard more than a shooting guard. Evans can shoot, so can Copeland. That took me 'off guard' a bit. Does that mean he thinks Clarance will not only stay but be effective next year?

Matt freaking Hein baby!!

ISU FAN 1

JHBird said:
Adunk33 said:

It's not against the rules for a point guard to be able to shoot the basketball. "Guards who can shoot" doesn't rule point guards.

Adunk33

Staff member
ISU FAN 1 said:
JHBird said:

It's not against the rules for a point guard to be able to shoot the basketball. "Guards who can shoot" doesn't rule point guards.

:text-+1: Muller said something along the lines of a "shooting guard, not necessarily a two guard, but a guard that can shoot."

But since he may not be actively recruiting a pg, then it could very well confirm the potential for Elijah's role next season. That kid is going to be good.

Topoly28

Every time Muller talks about Copeland he has a smirk on his face. He must be looking realllllly good in practice

V Boy

Adunk33 said:

Great post. Especially the part about needing to win non-con games. If the boys don’t feel the urgency to win those games now.....history likely to repeat itself.

I mean.....we should be trying to figure out how to blow people out. Nevada beat us by 30. BYU was up 30 on us. Boise was up 25 on us I think. 2 of these 3 didn’t even make the Dance.

We have to have to mindset of destroying people next year.

And Muller has to go get more good players to achieve that.

Redbrd1

I think his lack of a commitment to giving Matt a scholly confirms what I heard about Matt and Loyola parting ways.

Redbrd1

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Redbrd1 said:
I think his lack of a commitment to giving Matt a scholly confirms what I heard about Matt and Loyola parting ways.

which is?

Was mutual and Loyola wasn’t concerned with him leaving because he wasn’t going to play much.

Redbrd1

bb fan said:
If Chastain wanted to be a Rambler, he would still be a Rambler.

I agree... because Moser isn’t the type to run off players. He would have been a rambler who would not have played much regardless of the injury.

Let’s put it this way... it worked out well for the ramblers to have him leave, and they knew that.

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbrd1 said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Redbrd1 said:

which is?

Was mutual and Loyola wasn’t concerned with him leaving because he wasn’t going to play much.

Not to jack the thread, because Chastain talk already has jacked one of them, but that is just not true. Matt would be a starter for Loyola who are losing 3-4 starters/rotation players and who's to say Krutwig and Custer even come back? I think Muller's vaugness about this is more of a reference to not being 100% sure where the scholarship is coming from. It could be from Gassman, who got a scholarship because we had it available, or from someone transferring. It's also possible we have other team needs if a scholarship becomes available and Matt's parents are well off enough to front the bill this year too. Matt will have a scholarship by his junior season (2019-2020).

I said this in the last thread that Chastain jacked that Porters comments after he left were the same comments any of us would have said if we got broken up with. "Yeah, I wasn't that in to it anyway." Chastain will be an all-conference when it's all said and done.

Redbrd1

Adunk33 said:
Redbrd1 said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
which is?

Not to jack the thread, because Chastain talk already has jacked one of them, but that is just not true. Matt would be a starter for Loyola who are losing 3-4 starters/rotation players and who's to say Krutwig and Custer even come back? I think Muller's vaugness about this is more of a reference to not being 100% sure where the scholarship is coming from. It could be from Gassman, who got a scholarship because we had it available, or from someone transferring. It's also possible we have other team needs if a scholarship becomes available and Matt's parents are well off enough to front the bill this year too. Matt will have a scholarship by his junior season (2019-2020).

I said this in the last thread that Chastain jacked that Porters comments after he left were the same comments any of us would have said if we got broken up with. "Yeah, I wasn't that in to it anyway." Chastain will be an all-conference when it's all said and done.

I hope you’re right.

Any idea how many schollys we actually have available? Haha.

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbrd1 said:
I hope you’re right.

I believe we are currently over 1

Next season scholarship players (without any departures, assuming everyone who had one this year, has one next year) Fayne, Evans, Milik, David, Tinsley, Copeland, Hein, Williams, Romine, Clarance, Bruninga, Gassman, Incoming freshman: Idowu and Dixon. That is 14, so we are currently over one without Chastain on scholarship.

Redbrd1

Adunk33 said:
Redbrd1 said:
I hope you’re right.

I believe we are currently over 1

Next season scholarship players (without any departures, assuming everyone who had one this year, has one next year) Fayne, Evans, Milik, David, Tinsley, Copeland, Hein, Williams, Romine, Clarance, Bruninga, Gassman, Incoming freshman: Idowu and Dixon. That is 14, so we are currently over one without Chastain on scholarship.

So DMs backup plan if we can’t land anybody is remove Gassmans and we are at 13. But if we land two, who’s leaving? Gas, Chastain doesn’t get one, and who else?

You have to think Romine is gone so maybe that’s how we balance. Would be nice if Matt and David moved on. Like them but they don’t produce what we need to make it to the dance.

bb fan

We have been through this. Porter wanted Chastain to stay, He tried to talk him out of it.

Can we stop ripping on this kid?

V Boy

So we are 1 over and Muller is still talking about recruiting another guard and another big (thankfully).

So either at least 3 people are leaving or 2 people are leaving and Gassman schollie goes to a new guy and Chastain stays off schollie.

ISU FAN 1

Redbrd1 said:

Would only confirm that he isn't worthy of a scholarship here in Dan's eyes. The rest is conjecture.

It was a free year for Dan to assess Chastain. Still hope he can help. And he just has to be better than some players currently on scholarship.

DWRedbird

ISU FAN 1 said:
Redbrd1 said:

Would only confirm that he isn't worthy of a scholarship here in Dan's eyes. The rest is conjecture.

It was a free year for Dan to assess Chastain. Still hope he can help. And he just has to be better than some players currently on scholarship.

I don't think it says that he isn't worthy of a scholarship in Dan's eyes so much as we don't have a scholarship to give him at this point. We are already technically over by 1 (though I assume gassman's scholarship is going to one of the incoming freshman) and Chastain was already here without a scholarship.

Top Bottom