Muller seeks to restore 'toughness, effort'

ricohill

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/muller-seeks-to-restore-toughness-effort-to-isu-program/article_9efd33f8-3e3f-5d1a-b64d-fdf076d7a8fd.html?mode=nowapp

I figured to keep things on topic this deserved its own thread.

saxman210

"That will be huge for this team, especially with so many new guys," said Muller. "I don't know how good we're going to be next year, but we're going to play hard ... and I think we'll be pretty good."

Dan didn’t know how good we were gonna be this year (nobody really knows til you play a game) and thought we were gonna be “really good.” Is he tempering what he says to the press (finally) or do we need to worry about only being “pretty good?” I imagine that’s the $1,000,000 question.

Birdswin

Well, we will see what happens. Now Bruninga not being available until October? That does not sound good.

While it was in the article - it was not in quotes - we need guards who are basketball players period - not just athletes who will learn to play guard. Guards that shoot when appropriate, know how to dribble, can make proper passes into the paint, and can defend - that goes a LOOOOOONG way in being a good team. Inside folks then take you to the higher level. But, without guards - teams look bad at times. Need basketball players first.

CaliRdBrd

saxman210 said:
"That will be huge for this team, especially with so many new guys," said Muller. "I don't know how good we're going to be next year, but we're going to play hard ... and I think we'll be pretty good."

Dan didn’t know how good we were gonna be this year (nobody really knows til you play a game) and thought we were gonna be “really good.” Is he tempering what he says to the press (finally) or do we need to worry about only being “pretty good?” I imagine that’s the $1,000,000 question.

I’m guessing the former.
In addition, this is exactly the kind of respond as I wanted to hear.
Shame that this team didn’t buy in. Not sure who to blame for that, but I’m no longer entirely sure it’s Muller

ricohill

I kind of laugh that it's back to the toughness and effort excuse. I thought we played hard, but not smart.

I hope I am wrong, but what scares me is expecting what Muller says below with a team full of transfers and Jucos.

"This year's effort level, toughness, discipline, body language and coachability was unacceptable. I'm not putting up with it again," said Muller. "I want every player to understand what it takes to be successful and buy into those things."

ISU FAN 1

”it's my job to get them to play hard. In the end, we didn't play hard."

Yet he told them he wasn’t going to coach effort.

Which is it? Dan contradicts himself too much.

DJ Horne = Point Guard. I’ve was Horny for a point guard all year

Tarise led ISU in rebounding for a season. Wow, was he a stud.

Chicagobirdfan

CaliRdBrd said:
saxman210 said:

I’m guessing the former.
In addition, this is exactly the kind of respond as I wanted to hear.
Shame that this team didn’t buy in. Not sure who to blame for that, but I’m no longer entirely sure it’s Muller
I agree, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Maybe, just maybe, he does understand what went wrong this year and how to fix it. Sounds like he at least believes he does.

B

BirdGrad2011

ricohill said:
I kind of laugh that it's back to the toughness and effort excuse. I thought we played hard, but not smart.

I hope I am wrong, but what scares me is expecting what Muller says below with a team full of transfers and Jucos.

"This year's effort level, toughness, discipline, body language and coachability was unacceptable. I'm not putting up with it again," said Muller. "I want every player to understand what it takes to be successful and buy into those things."
We weren’t watching the same team then. This team didn’t play hard way too often. Looked like they expected a W for showing up. Paris Lee would’ve been all over this team worse than Fisher was in timeouts.

V Boy

“I’m not putting up with it again”.....you know....the guys I recruited.....the seniors who have been on the team for years.

The article missed by far the most important point, which is that he needs to be recruiting a different profile of kid. A kid who has CHARACTER.

Muller keeps recruiting the same kids over and over. Lofton, Banyard, Hawkins, Yarbrough....kids who want to score 20 ppg, don’t play defense, get benched because they **** up and then complain about it and act like babies....and then whine some more about it. They aren’t team-first guys. They are children.

And yet....he expects a different outcome....

Here’s the headline of the article....start recruiting ALL team-first kids who win that way in high school. Then you won’t have to give us bullshit lines about “effort” 7+ Years into your job.

It of particular concern when he says he wants every player to know what it takes to be successful. This would seem to indicate that they don’t already know this!! Gee, here’s an idea, start recruiting the kids who already know this and have already exemplified this. Then you can actually coach instead of babysitting your top players.

What the Christ.

ISU FAN 1

V Boy said:
“I’m not putting up with it again”.....you know....the guys I recruited.....the seniors who have been on the team for years.

The article missed by far the most important point, which is that he needs to be recruiting a different profile of kid. A kid who has CHARACTER.

Muller keeps recruiting the same kids over and over. Lofton, Banyard, Hawkins, Yarbrough....kids who want to score 20 ppg, don’t play defense, get benched because they **** up and then complain about it and act like babies....and then whine some more about it. They aren’t team-first guys.

Here’s the headline of the article....start recruiting ALL team-first kids who win that way in high school. Then you won’t have to give us bullshit lines about “effort” 7+ Years into your job.

It of particular concern when he says he wants every player to know what it takes to be successful. This would seem to indicate that they don’t already know this!! Gee, here’s an idea, start recruiting the kids who already know this and have already exemplified this. Then you can actually coach instead of babysitting your top players.

What the Christ.

Michael Middlebrooks

V Boy

ISU FAN 1 said:
V Boy said:

Muller keeps recruiting the same kids over and over. Lofton, Banyard, Hawkins, Yarbrough....kids who want to score 20 ppg, don’t play defense, get benched because they **** up and then complain about it and act like babies....and then whine some more about it. They aren’t team-first guys.

What the Christ.

Michael Middlebrooks

I almost added him too

ISU FAN 1

Watching some really good mid major players this week. Colgate freshman went for 35.

ricohill

BirdGrad2011 said:
ricohill said:

We weren’t watching the same team then. This team didn’t play hard way too often. Looked like they expected a W for showing up. Paris Lee would’ve been all over this team worse than Fisher was in timeouts.

I agree, but this team was so flawed that even when it played hard it couldn't get results. Poor defense and awful shooting. This team didn't have anyone as good as Paris Lee.

ricohill

V Boy said:

Muller keeps recruiting the same kids over and over. Lofton, Banyard, Hawkins, Yarbrough....kids who want to score 20 ppg, don’t play defense, get benched because they **** up and then complain about it and act like babies....and then whine some more about it. They aren’t team-first guys. They are children.

What the Christ.

It's funny you mentioned that. I looked today. Muller has had 25 players that have transferred, been kicked off the team, or did not complete eligibility/grad transfer (Hawkins/McIntosh) in 6 years. 9 players arrested during their time at ISU (12 total arrests with players having multiple issues). Dan looks to be taking more risks this year. I really worry if we are going to get the kids that buy in and play the way he wants.

V Boy

ISU FAN 1 said:
Watching some really good mid major players this week. Colgate freshman went for 35.

I was honestly blown away by how much better Belmont’s young Players were than our older players. That freshman point guard and that freshman center were waaaaaay better than the types of kids we are getting. They were so much better fundamentally. 6-11 kid running the court and dunking on the run. Frosh PG pushing the break hard right in our faces Emmenecker style.

FriscoBird90

This program is obviously in need of more than just players who work harder and are tougher. There are needs for good shooters who take good shots, rebounders who block out, an offense that works for the best shot available, a true point guard to run such an offense, and a higher basketball IQ. In other words, it is in need of a serious injection of a combination of effort, skill, system, and smarts.

DannyCooksey

Birdswin said:
Well, we will see what happens. Now Bruninga not being available until October? That does not sound good.

While it was in the article - it was not in quotes - we need guards who are basketball players period - not just athletes who will learn to play guard. Guards that shoot when appropriate, know how to dribble, can make proper passes into the paint, and can defend - that goes a LOOOOOONG way in being a good team. Inside folks then take you to the higher level. But, without guards - teams look bad at times. Need basketball players first.

That sucks about Taylor. I hope he makes it back.

Bird Friend

ISU FAN 1 said:

If I’m teaching a college level course in theology, I’m not going to teach reading. But I’m going to expect my students to do so. I’m not going to teach them homework, but I’m going to expect they complete it. I’m not going to teach them the effort needed to complete the required work, but I’m going to expect they put in the effort required.

There was no contradiction to what Dan said.

ChiRedbirdfan

Bird Friend said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

If I’m teaching a college level course in theology, I’m not going to teach reading. But I’m going to expect my students to do so. I’m not going to teach them homework, but I’m going to expect they complete it. I’m not going to teach them the effort needed to complete the required work, but I’m going to expect they put in the effort required.

There was no contradiction to what Dan said.

The colleges admission offices are there to weed out those that can’t read before they enroll in theology just like the coachs are suppose to weed out basketball recruits that don’t want to give effort. Muller is not given his players. He gets to go out and select who he wants to be on the ISU team. Muller and staff misjudged the character of the players they selected or somehow the players shut down. It seeems the players were a bad fit?. It happens but when you have a team with many slackers, as it appears he is alluding to, then he and his coaches need to reevaluate their approach to recruiting Learn from it and get better.

ChiRedbirdfan

DannyCooksey said:
Birdswin said:

That sucks about Taylor. I hope he makes it back.
I am betting October is the conservative timeline for Taylor and a smart thing to say, IMO. It could be that long if he has a slow recovery. Let’s hope that is a conservative estimate and he is back much sooner. If taylor can get back to full strength/health sooner, even as late as September, then he will have several months to get up and running.