Missouri State

Redbirdfan76

Though many on this board bemoan the state of the program, and rightfully so, I still enjoy talking about the game at hand and try to figure out how this team could be successful against the MSU Bears. My thought beyond curtailing the turnovers and rebounding ( on both ends) better, includes going inside early and often against Prim and trying to get some fouls on him. Put Lewis on Mosley to try and slow him down a bit. Just play good, hard D and see where the game flow goes. Go Birds!!

Redbird Alum 2004

I am excited for this game. It will be nice to see how we compare to a top 3 or 4 team in our conference. The battle between Prim and Chatman should be fun to watch. Hopefully Reeves can find the offense he showed the first few games. Lewis has been sterling up offensively and is proving to be a nice scoring option as well. I wouldn't mind seeing that press we showed down in Mexico. I think that showed some potential especially with how our team make some baskets. Just need to communicate in the zone better.

DoubleDeuce

I know offense isn't the problem, but if McChesney starts knocking down threes we would be a headache to slow down.

Last edited:

CB2K

Teams are now focusing on Reeves more so I expect him to have to work harder for his shots. It is interesting to watch him make adjustments because of this. He's still an amazing story to me of how much he has stepped it up this year.

I still think this team has good options to score besides Reeves - Sy, Mark, Kendall, Josiah and even Emon and Howard at times. Can Ryan and Liam keep improving and contribute on both ends -- because we do need some size that can stay in the rotation and do some damage.

The only real disappointing things this year are that the defense is not consistent, turnovers and rebounds. Hard to win with those types of deficiencies. We play small often for obvious personnel reasons for both offense and defense objectives but it costs us in rebounds and inside defense.

I actually like this team this year and they are more enjoyable to watch than in previous years because we do have some inside offense and we drive quite well. We are not one dimensional like in previous years. I am glad we finally have a true point guard in Mark -- he makes things happen when he's on the court -- I know he gets a bit out of control sometimes with the dribbling but he can get his shot and drive which keeps the defense honest. We haven't had a true point guard for many years really. If this team can improve defensively then they will be much tougher each time they take the court and we could hopefully see some upsets.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Contain Prim and hopefully we have a chance. I think Dana is still unproven as a bench coach. (Obligatory joke about Dan not being a good one either, yada yada yada). So maybe we can take advantage of that.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Benson joined SIU beat writer Todd Hefferman with Father Harry on Valley Hoops Insider to talk about opening night.

ISU86

This team is certainly more competitive (and easier to watch) than the last couple of seasons, but the defense needs to improve and a consistent forty would be nice.

Be nice for it to start tonight ... hope to be wrong.

MSU 82, ISU 78

Bird Friend

19-14 Bears at 10:35. MSU is face guarding Reeves, so he's not getting touches. Strong has had a good start shooting.

The Beak

We're making numerous middle school mistakes can't believe it's this close.

Bird Friend

23-17 at 7:36 . . . 7 TOs . . . only 3 fouls (mostly from lack of defensive pressure)

Bird Friend

28-21 at 4:00 . . . 9 TOs . . . Reeves finally on board with 4 free throws . . . Birds 6-18 / 3-9 from field

Bird Friend

31-30 at 1:23 . . . 3 straight 3s . . . Strong, Fleming, Reeves . . .

Bird Friend

34-32 Bears at half . . . good stretch to finish in the final 2.5 mins of the half . . . down 31-21 when Strong hit 3 at 2:29. Actually had lead 32-31 with 49-secs left. Refs only called 7 fouls total. All 3 of Bears fouls on Bird shooters. Only 1 by Birds. Got a feeling fouls will be different in 2nd half. Game could've gotten away, but Birds fought back.

Top Bottom