Let the QB battle begin!!!

Dmills

Wow! This is big time. Let's gooo! Huge get for Coach Peterson. Good luck to Tommy and Jake. Rubley saw very limited action in 2022 and 2023 for Kansas State. He has 2 years of eligibility (as does Tommy).

fourthandshort

This is what OC Tony Peterson and QB Zack Annexstad's performance did for us. Now watch a promising 3rd string TE show up. Maybe another WR or 2.

Also Credit to Spack for letting them play all 4 qtrs this year.

I hope Rittenhouse makes this new guys really earn it. Just work on your arm strength. You know the system and all the personnel returning except TE Grandy .. the new guy doesn't.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
From 24/7 sports:

Rated by 247Sports composite scale as a four-star recruit in K-State's 2021 class, the 217-pounder originally chose Chris Klieman's squad over finalists Colorado and LSU among several other major scholarship offers. At the time of his commitment, K-State snapped a six year span without a four-star commitment (according to final rankings).

Decorated through high school, Rubley's finish to his prep career certainly didn't aid his collegiate preparation as the quarterback was forced to relocate to Iowa as a senior when Colorado cancelled its high school season due to COVID. Once in Des Moines at Valley High School, the quarterback saw his finale cut short thanks to a ruling from the IAHSAA board. Once on campus as a Wildcat, Rubley needed more time for development and when thrust into action at TCU during the 2022 season it was apparent his skills weren't ready for the Big 12. This year, Rubley saw himself passed by true freshman Avery Johnson on the depth chart, helping lead to his decision to start fresh elsewhere as a junior and potentially earn more playing time.

Posted when he announced he was leaving.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort

Kansas St was very competitive this season (8-4 against #7 SOS, including 3 pt loss at #3 Texas (12-1) and last season (10-4 against # 8 SOS) was about same winning Big 12 championship over 13-2 TCU.

I'll take a few more off their 3 deep !!!!!!

DateOpponentResultPFPA
Sat 11-04
atTexas
(12-1)
L
OT
Sat 09-16
atMissouri
(10-2)
L
Sat 11-25
Iowa St
(7-5)
L
Fri 10-06
atOklahoma St
(9-4)
L
Sat 11-18
atKansas
(8-4)
W
Thu 12-28
vsNC State
playoff | Pop-Tarts Bowl @ Orlando FL
(9-3)
82 %
Sat 10-21
TCU
(5-7)
W
Sat 10-14
atTexas Tech
(6-6)
W
Sat 09-09
Troy
(11-2)
W
Sat 09-23
UCF
(6-6)
W
Sat 11-11
Baylor
(3-9)
W
Sat 10-28
Houston
(4-8)
W
Sat 09-02
SE Missouri St
(4-7)W

ChiRedbirdfan

5/6 47 yards 1 interception over two years.

gotta say I'd rather have a d2 portal player that has demonstrated collegiate qb ability vs a d1 portal player who appears to have been overly recruited/rated and is basically untested. Good news is everyone has to earn their starting spot regardless of where they came from!

ISUBird

I'm doing you a service. You're welcome.

gotta say I'd rather have a d2 portal player that has demonstrated collegiate qb ability vs a d1 portal player who appears to have been overly recruited/rated and is basically untested. Good news is everyone has to earn their starting spot regardless of where they came from!
We can't say if he was overrated until we actually see him play. If Jake Rubley doesn't work out Tommy Rittenhouse seems like he will do well next year.

Sanantoniobird

This is cold water in the face truth.
I honestly don't see how Tommy loses out to this guy, other than maybe arm strength. I am grateful for what Zack brought, but Tommy is hungry. A poor-man's Michael Vick. Ok, ok, it's a very bad reach, we could only dream. But hoping for that Mike Vick arm strength.

Redbird15

LOL compete sometimes means who catch more fish
Politicians buy starting spots in government Some of them go fishing and put bait on the hooks so their friends hands never get dirty. Then some are just satisfied of not being on the bottom but never on the top. Just make it look good for public eye and be content staying in middle of the pack. But I will agree with you on demonstrated and test ability and proven ability. Even then excuse are made to justify mediocre.

Hamdonger

The thing that caught my attention with Tommy...after Zack got hurt...we walked through Horton to&from a men's basketball game...and Tommy had recevers in Horton running routes. Nobody else in there. I thought...that's our guy right there. I welcome the transfer but Tommy's my guy.

MadBird

Refresher on Zach Annexstad - he got some good PT as a freshman at Minnesota in 2018, then he sat on the bench for 3 years w/o any real PT. He missed the entire 2019 season with injury, sat on the bench the entire 2020 season w/o injury just not used, and then got in two games in 2021 w/o throwing a pass or making a rush attempt. So while I'm all for getting a guy who's got a record of accomplishment at whatever level, DIII or DII or DI, we have a pretty good example of how a guy who "got lost" on an FBS bench can be pretty damn effective for old state U.

I'm happy if young Rittenhouse can hold off the challenge and do his thing, would make fourthandshort happy that a HS QB recruited by Spack finally comes through. But if Mr. Rubley makes it happen, good for him. We'll need two QB's one way or the other, history has shown.

Top Bottom