ISU Game 3 vs #1 Dallas Baptist 3 pm

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Big game today, have a major advantage with a win today as then you get three shots at the championship game.

It's not over if we lose, but then will have beat Indy St again or SIU again and then try and beat DBU twice. Lot harder road.

jbird

I remember when the tourney was at Duffy Bass Field several years ago that it was supposedly double elimination, but we went into a Sunday night game with NO losses against a Wichita State team that did have a loss............but somehow that game was winner-take-all even though we had not lost a game yet. Of course, Wichita won that game and we were eliminated with our first loss in the tournament.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's when they made the championship game part of the double elim. It sucked bad [mention]jbird[/mention]

Adunk33

Staff member
5:02 first pitch. We need this one bad to not have to play again tonight after a looong day.

topiarydan

Birds crap the bed and blow a 7-4 lead going into bottom of 8th, Holm left Lindgren in too long and Vogrin who was shaky yesterday did nothing to help - Gilmore then tosses one pitch that ends up yard and voila DBU goes up 9-7. Tough loss

Redbird222

topiarydan said:
Birds crap the bed and blow a 7-4 lead going into bottom of 8th, Holm left Lindgren in too long and Vogrin who was shaky yesterday did nothing to help - Gilmore then tosses one pitch that ends up yard and voila DBU goes up 9-7. Tough loss

Not sure why We left Lindgren in 8th. He had already thrown 105 pitches which was right at season high. Hit first batter and then solid single. Missed golden opportunity

topiarydan

Tough way to end the season - 10-6 Loss to Indy State. We'll be a 3 seed now - my guess in Fayeteville AR or Atlanta GA

Redbird222

topiarydan said:
Tough way to end the season - 10-6 Loss to Indy State. We'll be a 3 seed now - my guess in Fayeteville AR or Atlanta GA

Great season but this was a bit disappointing given how close we were to getting to the championship game. Can't wait until next week though.

Manchester Matt

I don’t care how we lost. The MVC putting s losers bracket winner in a better scenario than the a winners bracket finalist is a joke. Doug Elgin, Jack Watkins etc. need serious help. They have zero clue how to run a tournament.

Adunk33

Staff member
Was this the most "Redbird" way to end a tournament/regular season, or what? Luckily, they should still make the NCAAs.

Reggie Redbird

Santa Cason said:
I don’t care how we lost. The MVC putting s losers bracket winner in a better scenario than the a winners bracket finalist is a joke. Doug Elgin, Jack Watkins etc. need serious help. They have zero clue how to run a tournament.

I think part of the problem is Elgin seems to care about two things: collecting has salary and perks followed by MBB to a degree. I don’t get the feeling by his actions or lack of actions that he actually gives a crap about anything else. I think you’ll see Patty Viverito at women’s sports and Jack Watkins at everything. Besides that, you probably won’t see Elgin once or just for one day.

The Valley will be better off the day Elgin retires or “retires.”

Reggie Redbird

Adunk33 said:
Was this the most "Redbird" way to end a tournament/regular season, or what? Luckily, they should still make the NCAAs.

This reminded me of being up big at the half vs UNI in the championship in StL and ultimately blowing a 14 point lead.

I think part is overall mentality we have to overcome as a dept but part is the decisions, ex leaving someone in too long or tapping the right guy in from the pen.

We win the DBU game and we could have set up ourselves for a tourney title, a top-25 ranking, and a 2-seed. Now we should still make it as a 3-seed and luckily have Headrick ready to start game 1 of a regional.

jamminjamarsmiley

After experiencing this tournament format, it needs to change. Hard as a fan to really follow and yesterday seemed like a cluster. The MVC needs to figure that out....

jamminjamarsmiley

However- it seems like ISU's weakness it lack of pitching depth. After you get past game 1, it gets pretty thin pretty fast

Birdswin

Yes, the pitching depth is a weakness - but that is being addressed in recruiting. For the most part, the format worked in protecting the top four seeds. However, there definitely needs to be a change on yesterday's situation. The first two games of the day need to be flip-flopped. It should be the loser's bracket, that has to play back-to-back - not the team in the winners bracket that was one short of the championship game.

Redbird222

Birdswin said:
Yes, the pitching depth is a weakness - but that is being addressed in recruiting. For the most part, the format worked in protecting the top four seeds. However, there definitely needs to be a change on yesterday's situation. The first two games of the day need to be flip-flopped. It should be the loser's bracket, that has to play back-to-back - not the team in the winners bracket that was one short of the championship game.

Exactly ... there should be an advantage coming out of the winners bracket

cubird

Impressive...Indiana State wins 3 in a row to take the title. Does the Valley get 3 teams in?

Top Bottom