ISU bidding to get IHSA FB back?

cubird

Centrally located and right sized stadium. However, what is the work around concerning potential ISU first round playoff game.

redbirds2000

Centrally located and right sized stadium. However, what is the work around concerning potential ISU first round playoff game.
Is that an issue anymore? Those play in games are won by a bid. We have never hosted one. I'm not even sure we place a bid? Get a top 8 seed and play at home the first week in December. I would rather host IHSA than a play in playoff game.

crazzymark

Ok you dont want isu in the playoffs.gotcha. and yes ISU has hosted many playoff games you just never went i guess. Join the big boys and never worry about it.

ISUBU

This is a fair question. Other MVFC schools have shown a desire to host these first round games. YSU hosted in the first round in 2016 and made it to the championship game. NDSU has hosted in the first round. I don't take that opportunity lightly.

Hosting the state championships would increase our program's visibility. That has value too.

I hope we have that conflict.

redbirds2000

This is a fair question. Other MVFC schools have shown a desire to host these first round games. YSU hosted in the first round in 2016 and made it to the championship game. NDSU has hosted in the first round. I don't take that opportunity lightly.

Hosting the state championships would increase our program's visibility. That has value too.

I hope we have that conflict.
I hope we are in the Top 8 every year and it's a non issue. State championships Thanksgiving weekend and 1st round play-offs the next. What a great opportunity to promote a home play off game to 30,000ish people over 2 days and on TV statewide.

redbirds2000

Ok you dont want isu in the playoffs.gotcha. and yes ISU has hosted many playoff games you just never went i guess. Join the big boys and never worry about it.
Wanting to host the IHSA means we don't want ISU in the playoffs?? How so? We have proven to be very successful on the road in the post season. I've been to every single home playoff game.

TIMMY

This kid has a scholarship offer from UNI and declines it. But then accepts a walk-on offer from Kent State?
Sounds like he's betting on himself.
Sean Lewis is doing a nice job at Kent State. They play a hellacious non-conference schedule. I'm guessing he's a pretty good salesman.

fourthandshort

I think the benefit of exposure for both the school and football recruitment, and even residual benefit to all sports programs certainly outweighs the occassional year hosting in 1st round might make a difference, much less even come into play .... what 1 in 4 years at most ?

It is also revenue for the town of BloNo's restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc ... so all good other than the traffic and parking disruption during the tourney.

I think this is no brainer ... we are centrally located and we have a nice facilities. They should try to get this hosting deal. There are way more positives than negatives .. assuming the deal makes sense.

ISU86

Is that an issue anymore? Those play in games are won by a bid. We have never hosted one. I'm not even sure we place a bid? Get a top 8 seed and play at home the first week in December. I would rather host IHSA than a play in playoff game.
I do not believe the bid portion is true (any longer).

"The higher-seeded team has the option to host preliminary-round games, dependent on the availability of its facility."

ISUBU

I don't know if it has changed recently, but quoting the South Dakota media from December...

“It is something very special to host a home playoff game and something to not take for granted,” said USD Athletic Director David Herbster.
Qualifying for the playoffs and hosting an opening-round contest meant even more given the tremendous challenges of playing during the pandemic with its uncertainties. But hosting a FCS playoff game isn’t just a matter of wins and losses. The site selection literally becomes a matter of “show me the money.”
In that respect, the Coyotes and their fans came through, Herbster said.
“We do have to submit bids for each round of the playoffs through the semi-finals. The bids are based off expected ticket sales minus any expenses incurred to put on the game,” he said.
“Those were due a week before our last regular season game. With those (numbers) in hand, the committee knows what they are working with when bids are announced and site locations are determined.”

DBird

So unless I missed something the last FCS playoff game we hosted was in 2015 and it drew a whopping 5300 die-hards and not Mark.
I would host the IHSA and bid on a second-round game if the opportunity presents itself.
🤣

fourthandshort

So unless I missed something the last FCS playoff game we hosted was in 2015 and it drew a whopping 5300 die-hards and not Mark.
I would host the IHSA and bid on a second-round game if the opportunity presents itself.
Timmy,

You are technically correct about Mark not making the game. But you are wrong to infer he didn't it make it Normal that day - he just couldn't break away from his shopping at our much more highly touted and coveted malls.

p.s. as Mark has previously boasted here.

dpdoughbird06

I’ll take the bird in hand every time. Book IHSA and top football recruits will get to experience our town and stadium atmosphere. This is an even better natural selling opportunity than the summer camps.

When it comes time to talk playoffs, Redbird Athletics can bid more aggressively for any games that align with Hancock’s availability. In the meantime let’s fill our hotels and dazzle potential Redbird recruits every year!

Birdswin

I see no problem with bringing the High School playoffs back - much more friendly stadium for high school crowds than Memorial Stadium or Huskie Stadium. Also, the location is much better with three Interstates intersecting here. All Good. Heck offer each of the High Schools participating discount tickets for all Redbird Home Playoff games.

TIMMY

I’ll take the bird in hand every time. Book IHSA and top football recruits will get to experience our town and stadium atmosphere. This is an even better natural selling opportunity than the summer camps.

When it comes time to talk playoffs, Redbird Athletics can bid more aggressively for any games that align with Hancock’s availability. In the meantime let’s fill our hotels and dazzle potential Redbird recruits every year!
And sell some calzones baby!!!!

cpacmel

I do not believe the bid portion is true (any longer).

"The higher-seeded team has the option to host preliminary-round games, dependent on the availability of its facility."
That's true. But in the first round, none of the teams are seeded. So I'm pretty sure the home team is determined by the better bid.
The 8 seeded teams get first round byes and host the 2nd round.

Top Bottom