ISU AD: ‘I’m concerned about edibles’ with student-athletes

ricohill

http://www.wjbc.com/2019/07/03/isu-ad-im-concerned-about-edibles-with-student-athletes/

Interesting article.

"Although marijuana is legal for persons age 21 and over, ISU student-athletes are held to a zero-tolerance policy. Additionally, athletes are subjected to random drug testing."

Also, what zero tolerance policy? Coprich sold marijuana to a cop and Hawkins passed out in his car with marijuana?

StLRedbird

ricohill said:
Coprich sold marijuana to a cop
Coprich sold weed to an informant that was trying to curry favor with the pd. The circumstances were so close to entrapment that the DA wasn’t very enthusiastic about pursuing it. He’s a good kid that made a mistake.

The flippant way you drag his name through the mud reminds of the old saying about fighting with pigs

ricohill

StLRedbird said:
ricohill said:
Coprich sold weed to an informant that was trying to curry favor with the pd. The circumstances were so close to entrapment that the DA wasn’t very enthusiastic about pursuing it. He’s a good kid that made a mistake.

The flippant way you drag his name through the mud reminds of the old saying about fighting with pigs

I don’t really care what he did or didn’t do. Wasn’t the point. There clearly isn’t a zero tolerance policy. I don’t think either missed a game.

I’m not for a zero tolerance policy and honestly don’t care if they use marijuana, but saying you have a policy and then never backing it up seems odd.

Bird Friend

ricohill said:
StLRedbird said:
ricohill said:

I don’t really care what he did or didn’t do. Wasn’t the point. There clearly isn’t a zero tolerance policy. I don’t think either missed a game.

I’m not for a zero tolerance policy and honestly don’t care if they use marijuana, but saying you have a policy and then never backing it up seems odd.

No grace offered? No chance for redemption? Do you even know what the internal punishments were? Or are you just looking to lash out against your fave punching bags?

While I agree the phrase “zero tolerance” is poorly chosen, I would think someone like would understand that reality usually is different.

Reggie Redbird

Zero tolerance doesn’t mean maximum punishment. Are we going to strip scholarships from athletes who drink underage? What about one that speeds or texts while driving? What about other students on academic scholarships?

I have made known when I think punishments are too light. I have also made known when they seem too much.

ricohill

Bird Friend said:
ricohill said:
StLRedbird said:

No grace offered? No chance for redemption? Do you even know what the internal punishments were? Or are you just looking to lash out against your fave punching bags?

While I agree the phrase “zero tolerance” is poorly chosen, I would think someone like would understand that reality usually is different.

I don't care if the kids smoke weed. I think its dumb to waste their time testing for it other than they potentially could be tested by the NCAA. Hopefully, the NCAA stops testing. Lots of great pro athletes smoke marijuana.

I have no problem with second chances. What I have a problem with is the athletic department and Muller saying whatever they want without backing it up. Lyons produces a video that says the Redbird Rising money will build an indoor facility. They raise the money and no facility. He says zero tolerance and it isn't true.

Also, how have those punishments they handed out worked? Lets not be naive and think the basketball team is learning their lessons. Dan keeps talking about the culture and how bad it is. Muller let the players get in trouble with no real consequences (don't say "handling it internally" is serious punishment). I'm guessing the culture issues stemmed from the fact the players knew they could do whatever they want as long as they could produce on the court.

bombay

This idiotic thread makes me want to go down to the corner and buy some gummies.

Please refrain from quoting that.

Bird Friend

ricohill said:
Bird Friend said:
ricohill said:

I don't care if the kids smoke weed. I think its dumb to waste their time testing for it other than they potentially could be tested by the NCAA. Hopefully, the NCAA stops testing. Lots of great pro athletes smoke marijuana.

I have no problem with second chances. What I have a problem with is the athletic department and Muller saying whatever they want without backing it up. Lyons produces a video that says the Redbird Rising money will build an indoor facility. They raise the money and no facility. He says zero tolerance and it isn't true.

Also, how have those punishments they handed out worked? Lets not be naive and think the basketball team is learning their lessons. Dan keeps talking about the culture and how bad it is. Muller let the players get in trouble with no real consequences (don't say "handling it internally" is serious punishment). I'm guessing the culture issues stemmed from the fact the players knew they could do whatever they want as long as they could produce on the court.

giphy.gif

TIMMY

ricohill said:
Bird Friend said:
ricohill said:

What? No pseudo tough guy name calling? You getting soft Sally?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Coprich lost his captaincy and had his scholarship reduced, which was probably a bigger deal than missing any games to him and his family.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/apologetic-coprich-stripped-of-captain-status/article_05bb6c34-8ede-5067-b44c-820fef7f944a.html

He also had his chargers later removed because he didn't get in trouble again.

Reggie Redbird

ricohill said:

I’ve explained this a few times before but here is once more:

The problem is they didn’t raise enough to build an indoor. Athletics received some gifts towards the indoor, but not enough to even get a majority of the funding. Athletics numbers are buoyed by $10+ million they have not received and may not get for 20+ years. There is also no guarantee that gift (for golf) ever comes. I would say that it’s more than likely but not a certainty.

Besides that, their numbers include regular annual giving. Campaigns aren’t just extra giving in higher ed. They’re years of soliciting gifts and then adding in a few years of regular annual giving to hit an easily achievable target. Ultimately, if you’re in charge of a campaign and don’t hit your goal, it is very bad because most giving is documented before the “goal” is ever announced.

To get the indoor built, you are going to need a multi-million cash gift that hasn’t been announced yet and is outside of normal giving.

ChiRedbirdfan

Reggie Redbird said:
ricohill said:

I’ve explained this a few times before but here is once more:

The problem is they didn’t raise enough to build an indoor. Athletics received some gifts towards the indoor, but not enough to even get a majority of the funding. Athletics numbers are buoyed by $10+ million they have not received and may not get for 20+ years. There is also no guarantee that gift (for golf) ever comes. I would say that it’s more than likely but not a certainty.

Besides that, their numbers include regular annual giving. Campaigns aren’t just extra giving in higher ed. They’re years of soliciting gifts and then adding in a few years of regular annual giving to hit an easily achievable target. Ultimately, if you’re in charge of a campaign and don’t hit your goal, it is very bad because most giving is documented before the “goal” is ever announced.

To get the indoor built, you are going to need a multi-million cash gift that hasn’t been announced yet and is outside of normal giving.
if it is going to take “a multi-million cash gift” to get the facility built then I do not see it happening anytime in the near future. ISU seems to be having difficulties with naming rights for facilities (I will admit I am assuming that since nothing has been named for $$$) and that has some marketing value in return. So if businesses see little return on naming rights and marketing associated with ISU Sports facilities then it will take one extremely generous donor that also loves FCS football to get it done. It seems like finding that individual is a long shot, IMO.

I’d rather see and prefer to donate towards ISU adding the engineering degree than donating towards building a football facility for FCS. Much better long term investment, IMO

As to the edibles... given the seismic shift society has had on marijuana I am surprised Lyons came out at this time and said ISU has a zero tolerance policy. Rico is right in that ISU, as measured by their actions, has not had a zero tolerance policy in the past. Lyons coming out and publicly stating a zero tolerance policy may place himself in a difficult position the next time an athlete is invoked with marijuana. Lyons may have painted himself into a corner.

ISU FAN 1

ricohill said:
StLRedbird said:
ricohill said:

Maybe it’s a zero tolerance policy for local law enforcement to hold ISU athletes accountable. I say live and let live in this sanctuary state. I can see having code of conducts to hold athletes accountable. Unless there’s a no alcohol policy, then legal recreational marijuana should be free game as well.

DWRedbird

My 3 cents:

1. Zero Tolerance policy doesnt mean you get the harshest penalty for committing the infraction, it simply means that regardless of the circumstances you will be punished. If I had to guess the context in which it is used means he is worried if an ISU student athlete accidentally eats some gummies thinking they are real candy and then comes up positive. Then they have to be punished by whatever the rules state.

2. I would bet dollars that almost all schools have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to non-prescription drugs.

3. My guess is the NCAA also randomly tests athletes and they also have a zero tolerance policy as well and the same situation applies.

SgtHulka

until we enact the death penalty for all infractions, we will remain a mid major.As such, I plan to boycott attending regular season basketball events until this changes, or October. Whichever comes first

ChiRedbirdfan

DWRedbird said:
My 3 cents:

1. Zero Tolerance policy doesnt mean you get the harshest penalty for committing the infraction, it simply means that regardless of the circumstances you will be punished. If I had to guess the context in which it is used means he is worried if an ISU student athlete accidentally eats some gummies thinking they are real candy and then comes up positive. Then they have to be punished by whatever the rules state.

2. I would bet dollars that almost all schools have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to non-prescription drugs.

3. My guess is the NCAA also randomly tests athletes and they also have a zero tolerance policy as well and the same situation applies.

my understanding of zero tolerance is much different than your view. i think most would agree with the following definition which would be too harsh for many ncaa student/athlete violations, imo

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/research/education-law/whats-a-zero-tolerance-policy.html

ISU FAN 1

ChiRedbirdfan said:
DWRedbird said:
My 3 cents:

my understanding of zero tolerance is much different than your view. i think most would agree with the following definition which would be too harsh for many ncaa student/athlete violations, imo

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/research/education-law/whats-a-zero-tolerance-policy.html
What is zero tolerance? That depends on what the meaning of “is” is?

https://youtu.be/j4XT-l-_3y0

TIMMY

ChiRedbirdfan said:
DWRedbird said:
My 3 cents:

Good read. Thanks.