Interesting MVFC Coach Rumor

MadBird

footballscoop.com reported the following regarding Kent State's coaching search:
Kent State: Sources tell us that primary target Bob Nielson, the head coach at the University of South Dakota, has been offered the job. We’re told it is not a done deal at this time. Nielson led USD to an 8-5 record this year, losing in the FCS playoffs to Sam Houston State in the second round. Nielson has been at South Dakota since 2016, and prior to that was at Western Illinois (16-21 overall), and was very successful at Minnesota Duluth (100-26 overall with two perfect 15-0 national title seasons) from 1999-2012.

Doesn't seem like a "natural fit", but I spose if a guy in his mid-fifties wants to "go for it", there's only gonna be so many chances. Nielson is an Iowa guy, and has coached college teams in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and now S.Dakota.

Would selfishly be glad to see USD have to "start over"!!

MadBird

Total Red said:
:p Not to worry. Coach Nielson just called a meeting of his USD players to tell them that he is not moving. :p

Guess it was telling that the rumor said "not a done deal"!

jbird

Total Red said:
:p Not to worry. Coach Nielson just called a meeting of his USD players to tell them that he is not moving. :p

The thing that coaches always tell their players at a team meeting while the moving van is at their house, right? The laughing emoticons gave it away.

Total Red

Staff member
jbird said:
Total Red said:

The thing that coaches always tell their players at a team meeting while the moving van is at their house, right? The laughing emoticons gave it away.

Continuation of the WIU thread :p

fourthandshort

Total Red said:

well played !!!

I'm sure Lawson would also have appreciated it.

MadBird

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
You called it TR!!

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...solutely-no-truth-any-these-rumors/108345376/
“There is absolutely no truth to any of these rumors regarding me and Kent State,” Nielson told Midco Sports’ Jay Elsen. “I am not pursuing the job. I am the head coach at South Dakota and plan to be for the future.”

The Kent St. AD is a former USD AD.
and get this, the Kent St AD has same last name .. Nielson .. so 2 guys named Nielson's have denied the rumor.

Reportedly, the press got hold of their mother .. Mrs Nielson .. and she also denied the rumor, saying her boys never lie and that both boys would never leave their current jobs .. ever.

:mrgreen:

cpacmel

Another rumor....wiu’s Head Coach is leaving for Arizona State.....to be their WR coach

MadBird

cpacmel said:
Another rumor....wiu’s Head Coach is leaving for Arizona State.....to be their WR coach

I see several "rumors" posted on footballscoop.com "confirming" this rumor. :lol: Sounds like it must have legs.

So, you know, what's up with WIU?? Just odd circumstances that would have two head coaches leaving them in two years? They used to be the bomb. Is the school's financial situation that bad?

ChiRedbirdfan

MadBird said:
cpacmel said:

I see several "rumors" posted on footballscoop.com "confirming" this rumor. :lol: Sounds like it must have legs.

So, you know, what's up with WIU?? Just odd circumstances that would have two head coaches leaving them in two years? They used to be the bomb. Is the school's financial situation that bad?

The fact that they opted to play 7 road games and 4 homes games this foot ball season is another sign of financial stress.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
MadBird said:
cpacmel said:

The fact that they opted to play 7 road games and 4 homes games this foot ball season is another sign of financial stress.
according to lawson, I think they got stiffed on a decent home non-conf game, then had to schedule St Xavier just to fill the week, then found an FCS road game to replace St Xavier.

Anyway, they originally had 5 home, 6 road .. but sh-t happens. Had a nice year despite just 4 home games.

cpacmel

fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
MadBird said:

according to lawson, I think they got stiffed on a decent home non-conf game, then had to schedule St Xavier just to fill the week, then found an FCS road game to replace St Xavier.

Anyway, they originally had 5 home, 6 road .. but sh-t happens. Had a nice year despite just 4 home games.

Actually, we (WIU) had two "cancellations".
Originally for our 2017 schedule, we were supposed to play @Northern Arizona, @Northwestern, and home against Coastal Carolina (as a return game for a H&H series where we played the game at then #1 ranked FCS CCU in 2015).

CCU announced they were going FBS and would be FBS in 2017, so they wouldn't be coming to Macomb.
Northwestern, as part of the Big 10 trying to eliminate FCS games, cancelled our game with them.

We were able to renegotiate with CCU, so that instead of them coming to Macomb, we'd go to their place, play them as our FBS game, and they'd pay us $300k to do it (worked out pretty well for us considering we destroyed them). We also set a tentative date with NAIA Saint Xavier University (Chicago, IL) to play here in Macomb.

Later, we were able to work out a deal for (I believe) a H&H with Tennessee Tech, but part of the negotiations was that the game in 2017 had to be at TTU. We kinda had a choice...go on the road for our entire OOC schedule, but have it be an all DI full scholly schedule...or keep SXU playing in Macomb, have a home OOC game, but have that game not count towards the playoffs. The "powers that be" decided it'd be better to stick with an all DI schedule, so we ended up playing at TTU this year. I believe that they will be playing at WIU in probably 2019.

So, yeah...scheduling was pretty crappy for us this year and we had to scramble to make things work out better for us. We did end up winning them all, of course, but still, it screwed up our home attendance for the rest of the season.

On difference between them and us and they didn't settle for SXU staying on their schedule like we are going to do.

fourthandshort

i don't imagine we have settled for playing SXU .. I'm hoping it is merely a placeholder while we find a "real" game. I think we can agree 11 games is better than 10.

There is no way Spack has settled for SXU ... putting aside that little Central Missouri St schedule snafu in 2010.

If they aren't working hard to replace it ... not good.

Chi-bird

If we keep St. X on the schedule and actually charge season ticket holders for that crap game, I know of at least 12 season tickets that won't be renewed. Butler, Dayton, etc. is been bad enough - but understandable given the strength of our conference. St. Xavier is just inexcusable.

McHalesNavy

MadBird said:
cpacmel said:

Girlfriend is in grad school there and is a GA involved in their athletics and I can confirm: their financial situation is that bad. It's sad, really.

Adunk33

Staff member
Charlie Fisher has officially taken an assistant coaching job at Arizona State. Jared Elliott has been promoted to WIU head coach.
Per https://twitter.com/johnbohnenkamp