Illinois State Announces Full 2024 Football Schedule

Birdswin

I liked the insight Coach Spack gave on the 2024 schedule during his show on Thursday night. First, talking about the Iowa game and scheduling FBS opponents. Stick with the teams in the Midwest - there are plenty here. I liked the negotiation with Iowa to get more money - all good with me. Second, the reasoning for scheduling both EIU and WIU as non-conference games the next two years. Not much expense involved, winnable games, and takes some of the scrambling to find other teams to play out of the equation. Third, the discussion with North Alabama - I thought that was handled very well. North Alabama wanted ISU to move up the game to Week 0, which would mean the weekend before Labor Day and the Iowa game. Coach said that would mean starting practice in July during summer school, which he did not want to do. Also, playing in Alabama in August - already enough heat up here, did not want to do that. North Alabama offered to pay - Spack countered with $250 thousand - quick answer was No. Thus, we keep the original September date and move on.

BJJ guy

I agree. It’s also interesting to hear how his thoughts on redshirting kids has changed. He’s mentioned several times that if the team needs a kid,, he’s going to play. There’s no guarantee that the kid is gonna be there in a couple years due to the portal. Saving that redshirt team for another schools doesn’t help your team. On another note, It sounds like we have some stud freshman DBs.

MadBird

Wisconsin announced its non-con schedules for the next few years today, with a couple MVFC opponents and WIU:

2024 - South Dakota
2026 - WIU
2027 - SIU

Dmills

I agree. It’s also interesting to hear how his thoughts on redshirting kids has changed. He’s mentioned several times that if the team needs a kid,, he’s going to play. There’s no guarantee that the kid is gonna be there in a couple years due to the portal. Saving that redshirt team for another schools doesn’t help your team. On another note, It sounds like we have some stud freshman DBs.

Saw this and figured I might as well put it here. Significant news regarding the redshirt rules.

Dmills

I thought North Alabama was having a strong season but they have since fallen to 3-7. They did have a quality win vs Chattanooga and a decent SOS though. I was shocked to see they are up 13-3 against #4 Florida State 😲 FSU is without their starting quarterback after an injury but they were already down 13-0 at that point.

ChiRedbirdfan

With 9 starters entering the portal,next season will be brutal. 4 wins to ends Brock's tenure at ISU.😢
9 already? seriously?...no idea what is happening portal wise but as we all know continuity is important. we are going to be losing players every year and we gotta get use to it. however the key is to be a portal net gain. some poster alluded mid-season that they anticipated heavy isu football transfers due to some unfavorable overall locker room mood (or something similiar). please no! if so that will be a buzz kill big time as it will be hard to be a portal net gain.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
9 already? seriously?...no idea what is happening portal wise but as we all know continuity is important. we are going to be losing players every year and we gotta get use to it. however the key is to be a portal net gain. some poster alluded mid-season that they anticipated heavy isu football transfers due to some unfavorable overall locker room mood (or something similiar). please no! if so that will be a buzz kill big time as it will be hard to be a portal net gain.
Don't take that as gospel. Crazy makes things up sometimes.

fourthandshort

With 9 starters entering the portal,next season will be brutal. 4 wins to ends Brock's tenure at ISU.😢
Does this come from same "source" who told you Redbird season ticketholder attendance was going to better for our YSU game .... on the road ??

p.s. hint .. you may need a new "source" !!

RedbirdSoxFan

With the 12 game schedule next year, will it take (8) Wins to get in the playoffs?

Should/Must Wins games (6):
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
@North Alabama
Missouri State
@Murray State
@Indiana State

Must Win at least (2) of these games:
North Dakota State
@Southern Illinois
Youngstown State
@Northern Iowa