Gerry Pollard

Birdman85

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/video-see-the-worst-technical-given-in-the-history-of-college-basketball/

In honor of the poor officiating from last night, take a look at what Gerry was up to.

chuckie1980

a$$

Officiating is destroying basketball. A "officiating training vid" emerges and many more fouls are called for nitpick crap...but we still watched two teams decimated with injuries.

Consistency and balance in officiating...you would think would make a non-contact sport less injury prone.

gobirds85

Gerry the jack ass, Horrible call. The ncaa has to stop this type of crap, but they won't.

BirdsEyeView

giphy.gif

bb fan

So, Chuckie. What is your solution to the officiating distroying college basketball issue?

There is some officiating out there. But I dunno if I would go as far as saying it is distroying the game. I think the NCAA does as well as it can to get the best out there.

chuckie1980

Get rid of the stripes on the floor and automate officiating.

Bad officiating is more a result of the real problem...too much money in college level sports.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I would encourage anyone who thinks officials are terrible to call up your local grade school Saturday morning league and volunteer to official for them.

Then come back and say it.

Hamdonger

isuquinndog said:
I would encourage anyone who thinks officials are terrible to call up your local grade school Saturday morning league and volunteer to official for them.

Then come back and say it.

Hehehe... :confusion-shrug:

chuckie1980

Another THINGS TO ADDRESS in basketball and sports, in general,....really start creating a truly large contingent of officials via intramural sports and stretch this officiating outreach into the high school and middle school arenas.

My desire to officiate started when I was on the high side of my 50s. I was even encouraged by an IHSA to start training for officiating. I never followed through due to age.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
There is a major shortage of officials at the jr high/high school level. Nationally and here in BloNo. Any one know why people don't want to officiate?

Parents/fans. And a little bit coaches. But especially parents/fans. I've kicked out exactly one coach in my seven year IHSA baseball career. I've had probably 5 or 6 parents removed over the same span.

For most officials, it's not worth it. It's not worth $50 and the time to work a high school game with 16-18 year olds and get berated by dad, 150 ft from the play about a rule that doesn't exist.

I'm sure most of you will say, "isuquinndog, you are exagerating" or "they should just suck it up". Read about it. This is in Quincy: http://qctimes.com/sports/high_school_sports/big-story-sports-official-shortage-is-pretty-alarming/article_f5ef71b1-cb2d-58c1-9d34-2d0e1b20d9b5.html

In Ohio: http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20171010/high-school-official-shortage-is-partially-on-us-opinion

And in this article, it lists a stat that EIGHT out of TEN basketball refs at the high school level don't officiate past two years: http://www.enidnews.com/sports/local_sports/official-shortage-abuses-driving-younger-basketball-referees-out-of-profession/article_c871d20b-d76d-589c-b4f9-e8a4bb700c54.html

I understand the NCAA/NBA refs are different as they do it for a living. I get it, and to a point you are right. But they have bosses who are telling them to crack down on a certain behavior they are going to do it. No matter how much you curse at them, boo them or yell at them.

Bird Friend

isuquinndog said:
There is a major shortage of officials at the jr high/high school level. Nationally and here in BloNo. Any one know why people don't want to officiate?

Parents/fans. And a little bit coaches. But especially parents/fans. I've kicked out exactly one coach in my seven year IHSA baseball career. I've had probably 5 or 6 parents removed over the same span.

For most officials, it's not worth it. It's not worth $50 and the time to work a high school game with 16-18 year olds and get berated by dad, 150 ft from the play about a rule that doesn't exist.

I'm sure most of you will say, "isuquinndog, you are exagerating" or "they should just suck it up". Read about it. This is in Quincy: http://qctimes.com/sports/high_school_sports/big-story-sports-official-shortage-is-pretty-alarming/article_f5ef71b1-cb2d-58c1-9d34-2d0e1b20d9b5.html

In Ohio: http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20171010/high-school-official-shortage-is-partially-on-us-opinion

And in this article, it lists a stat that EIGHT out of TEN basketball refs at the high school level don't officiate past two years: http://www.enidnews.com/sports/local_sports/official-shortage-abuses-driving-younger-basketball-referees-out-of-profession/article_c871d20b-d76d-589c-b4f9-e8a4bb700c54.html

I understand the NCAA/NBA refs are different as they do it for a living. I get it, and to a point you are right. But they have bosses who are telling them to crack down on a certain behavior they are going to do it. No matter how much you curse at them, boo them or yell at them.

I umpired little league when I was in college. I soured on it the day I tossed an eleven-year-old. The kid's mom yelled and screamed at me for being too immature to umpire and that she'd be calling the league office, yada, yada. I shut her down by saying calmly but loudly enough for anyone at the park to hear, "M'am, your son just flipped me off and told me to f-off. How many umpires do you know at any age or any level are going to allow that?"

This was circa 1983. I could see it coming then and I've watched enough ball over the past 30+ years to know that it's worse today than it was then. I actually loved umpiring, but I was growing to hate parents. And I knew myself well-enough to know there was going to eventually be an altercation where I replied with a sarcastic (but entirely correct) observation of the talent/intelligence level of a parent . . . yeah, I didn't see it ending well.

MadBird

A guy I used to work with here in Wisconsin, an experienced guy who has reffed at the highest HS levels and some college, recently got punched out after a game by the coach of a junior college level team and the coach's son. There's some racial overtones to the situation allegedly, but you know, come on now, the coach??? What's it coming to??

Nevertheless, there are still some refs who think they are the show and don't use common sense, etc. I'm talking at the NCAA level. You know there's trouble coming when some guys show up.

gobirds85

isuquinndog said:

I understand your point completely, Quinnie, but this is ncaa bball we are talking about. These guys get paid a decent sum of $$$ and they are supposed to be pros. Sadly, not all of them conduct themselves in such a fashion. They also have to understand the fans attend the game to see the players play, not to see the refs ref. Some guys get way over the top with their calls.

Follow me and a few other Redbirds @bballbitchin on the Twitter thingy.

Hamdonger

Quinn's absolutely right. Officials aren't born at the professional level. They move up ranks just like everyone else. Big problem is...the older veteran officials, who have yrs of experience that have made them into good officials...well, they're getting older and closer to hanging it up and many have. THOSE PEEPS ARE THE MENTORS. A critical part of becoming a good official is the process of working with&being mentored by an older, more experienced stripe.

Problem is though...it's so freaking vicious these days that the younger cats either don't have the mentorship because the older brigade is retiring...or...they get in a year or two of officiating and end up saying SCREW THIS. NOT WORTH IT. And I don't blame them one bit.

Four kids. All were/are athletes. Youngest just finished his 8th grade year. Officiating at the junior high level, barring a veteran official, is sometimes pretty ugly. It's frustrating!! But here's the deal. They've got to learn the craft somewhere, and that's generally where they do. So I always remember that when the calls are sometimes, well...BAD...nobody's trying to cheat a kid. (Haha, maybe!)

I have a suggestion. Next game you attend...just sit back and observe. Really observe. Look at that official as though it were your Dad. Or your brother. Or your sister. Or...your son. Just observe. It's an interesting experience.

I get mad at the zebras as a fan. I do. But they're a big part of what is the BEST part of any athletic program endeavor. And that is...they're a part of the human element of the game. In the end, while frustrating...I don't want to lose that part of the game.

So in closing, two thoughts. Kiss my butt, zebras!! And...we love ya! :D :D

Hamdonger

I will say this. The 2 T's on the kid in the vid above. First one, he had it coming. You could hear his mouth on TV for crying out loud.

The second one? Seems to me the official overreacted and simply BLEW IT. Seemed like a ridiculous call.

BB...any thoughts??

Hamdonger

I will say this (did I say that already?). The higher level official you are...the more professional you ought to be. One uneasy official can make a crew of 3 look awful.

It's tough though, because you're blending 3 personalities into the Mambo. Sometimes the dance is pretty, sometimes it makes dogs howl.

Hamdonger

Just read those articles. All of us here should read 'em. Nice links, Quinn. :clap:

Tpguy

back in the day when I was President of the Pony league in our area, we had banned all fans from standing behind the screen because they were intimidating our volunteer umpires. It was mostly the mothers of the kids causing the problems.

Trey_Guidry4three

isuquinndog said:

Well said amigo

bb fan

Automate officiating, Chuckie? I have no idea what the means. With replay review, often that doesn't even eliminate the disagreements. Collingsworth during the Super Bowl almost drove me nuts.

Officials are humans. We will make some mistakes. But we are expected to be perfect for some reason. Coaches making mistakes is understandable. Same for players. But we have to get 100% of the calls right.

The main thing that should be expected from us is consistency. So coaches and players know what to expect. For some reason, I still enjoy it. I just got home from calling a JV boys prelim game. The coaches were complimentary, and a few fans were kind as we left the floor. It can be rewarding. We felt like we did a difficult job pretty well.

Top Bottom