Gameweek #1 Jackrabbits

Total Red

Staff member
When I first saw the '23 schedule I was disappointed that it did not have an FBS game. Well, South Dakota St. coming to town 6 p.m. Saturday as the #1 ranked defending National Champion is a good consolation prize. To say that the Jackbunnies pose some challenges would be an understatement.

A lot of our beautiful stats will be in jeopardy. The Redbird D is only giving up 1.7 yards per rush. SDSU is gaining 7.5 yards per carry. SDSU will also provide tough matchups for our cornerbacks. The Janke brothers are WR's for the Jacks and at 6'3 210 each, they are bigger than most wideouts and faster more athletic than TE's.

Our short passing game might work between the 20s if we execute properly, but the redzone could be difficult.

We could go on because SDSU is #1 for a reason. They do just about everything well. But I think our team will welcome this game. Through the first 4 games they've heard a lot of "yeah buts." Yeah, you've won some games and some of them by big margins, but who have you beaten? That ends Saturday evening. A 5-yard run isn't just a 5-yard run. It's five yards against the best in the FCS.

This will also be SDSU's first real road game. They've played 3 at home and 1 neutral site game in Minneapolis. I'm hoping for a large student turnout for this one and a raucous crowd. It will get dark quickly.

Phantom

Huge game. Hoping for a big, rowdy crowd and that the students respond...and not just because it's a "Black Out" game. More on that in a bit.

Something about this game coming off a bye bugs me. Maybe I'm soured by my Bears fandom (then again everything is sour for those jagoffs), but I always feel concerned about a big game with extra time to prepare. There can be NO reason to come out flat. None. Zero. We've had two weeks to get ready for this. If we get beat, fine, but for the love of all that's holy don't lose because we weren't prepped or couldn't get energy early. Come out swinging and see what happens.

I think we CAN win this. Obviously a major challenge, but would be a massive win. Just play hard.

Students/crowd wise...now this one SHOULD be big. Students have alllll day to shake off their Friday night fun and properly re-fuel for this one. Let's be honest: a buzzed crowd is a louder crowd. It would be great if this were promoted properly. I mean, we do have the #1 FCS team and defending National Champs in town for a huge conference game, that alone should get some interest but it feels like the big promos only happen for Family Weekend and Homecoming. Black Out game? Personally, I say enough with that gimmick. It NEVER works here. Every time we have a black/red/whiteout game in either hoops or football, or the team wears alternate unis, it feels like we crap the bed. Furthermore, color-outs ONLY work when you have a guaranteed sellout and everyone participates. That's why it looks cool when Penn State, Iowa, Wisco, etc. do it. Sorry to be a wet blanket there, but point is this game should be hyped up more than just the color out gimmick that we've never pulled off.

Now screw all that and go give the Jackies hell.

Last edited:

Virginia Redbird

Lindenwood was a nice win. But we find out just where the Birds are at this Saturday. They had an extra week to prepare, no excuses, they have to bring it.

Phantom...the Bears...oh my goodness what a bad team.

fourthandshort

We usually play up to these guys level .. not always, usually. And sometimes pull out an unlikely win. But .... this may be their best team ever, sooooo ... we'll see. But it would put us on the map to beat them or give them a good scare. If we lose, we would really do well to make it a quality loss. Got to show we're progressing in time for the MVFC grind.

Dmills

Coach Spack is 2 wins away from 100 career victories. Would love for him to get this accomplishment off his back within the next 3 games:
  • vs SDSU
  • vs Indiana State
  • @ Youngstown State

crazzymark

Well season ticket holders it's time to show up or shut up. You don't need to be taking your wife and her best friend's butcher's wife and nephew out to dinner you need to sit in your ass in your seat and watch the game. I know there's a big sale at Walmart but cheer,scream, jump up and down. Do the things you don't do at basketball games make a lot of noise and Illinois state will win this game. Keep in mind Jack rabbit fans show up no matter what,snow, sleet, 4° weather they don't care they just go and show up and support. Go you damn Redbirds and win this game!!!

fourthandshort

Well season ticket holders it's time to show up or shut up. You don't need to be taking your wife and her best friend's butcher's wife and nephew out to dinner you need to sit in your ass in your seat and watch the game. I know there's a big sale at Walmart but cheer,scream, jump up and down. Do the things you don't do at basketball games make a lot of noise and Illinois state will win this game. Keep in mind Jack rabbit fans show up no matter what,snow, sleet, 4° weather they don't care they just go and show up and support. Go you damn Redbirds and win this game!!!
Good thing the leaves aren't falling yet or Hancock would be empty !!!

;)

BJJ guy

You must not have watched the last game of the year last year when ISU played there. It was miserably cold, but they were the top ranked team in the country and the place was near empty.

Reggie Redbird

Sounds like you have your plane ticket in hand to fly up and game tickets bought to bring friends with you!

I don’t feel like we should be #22, based on our EIU loss and how we played against WIU, although we probably are one of the top-25 teams as a good chunk of MVFC teams should be. That being said, we are a top-25 team and are hosting #1. You can’t ask for better competition and opportunity.

If we win the toss, we either need our #1 defense to get a quick stop or to take the ball and be ready to move it. This is not a team you want to get its feet set and momentum going. We have beaten #1 teams before and hopefully do it again. Let’s see how ready our guys are Saturday at 6.

Bird Friend

The important thing you need to know, Crazzy, is that you never mess with the butcher's wife.

MadBird

ISU game notes are out.

On the two-deep, Braden Contreras, transfer from Valpo, listed as #1 at WR (replacing I'Shawn Stewart). Nigel White listed as #1 at CB over Mark Cannon. Who knows. FWIW.

Top Bottom