Game plan for St Louis

RedbirdSoxFan

I have never coached a college basketball team (nor a high school team), so there’s a good chance that I have no clue about giving advice for a game plan. But this is what I see:

Illinois State has zero chance of winning beyond Thursday trying to get the ball down low against most MVC teams. So stop wasting your time trying. Put McChesney in one corner outside the arc. Put Lewis in the other corner outside the arc. SPREAD Antonio, Jo, and Freeman outside the arc, and if you’re open SHOOT IT! I don’t care how much time is on the damn shot clock. And don’t be afraid to follow-up your shot and get the damn rebound if you miss the shot! If they come out to guard against the 3 that will open the lane to take your man to the basket. All five of these guys are capable of going 4-10 from 3. That is 60 points. If they leave the middle open there’s a lot of layups available.

jamminjamarsmiley

I have never coached a college basketball team (nor a high school team), so there’s a good chance that I have no clue about giving advice for a game plan. But this is what I see:

Illinois State has zero chance of winning beyond Thursday trying to get the ball down low against most MVC teams. So stop wasting your time trying. Put McChesney in one corner outside the arc. Put Lewis in the other corner outside the arc. SPREAD Antonio, Jo, and Freeman outside the arc, and if you’re open SHOOT IT! I don’t care how much time is on the damn shot clock. And don’t be afraid to follow-up your shot and get the damn rebound if you miss the shot! If they come out to guard against the 3 that will open the lane to take your man to the basket. All five of these guys are capable of going 4-10 from 3. That is 60 points. If they leave the middle open there’s a lot of layups available.
I found myself thinking today: we have no one who can get a bucket in the paint…. Our bigs just have to figure out a way to rebound. Problem is Bradley was pretty much suffocating them on the perimeter in the second half.

There’s only so much you can do with this group of guys. You just have to hope reeves can get hot and stay hot and the others do enough to survive

bombay

Anyone else wondering what ever happened to Emon Washington?

I saw Paul Westhead at the Cherry Creek Mall in Denver one day. My buddy Joe and I didn't care, but he stared for so long I finally said 'hi, coach'. That seemedto make him happy.

Same thing happened in 2011. Phil Jackson was walking down main street in Steamboat and he walked by our golf foursome - all Chicago natives - and no one acknowledged him.

Last edited:

Birdfriend72

Who is going to rebound outside the arc?

Birdfriend72

I found myself thinking today: we have no one who can get a bucket in the paint…. Our bigs just have to figure out a way to rebound. Problem is Bradley was pretty much suffocating them on the perimeter in the second half.

There’s only so much you can do with this group of guys. You just have to hope reeves can get hot and stay hot and the others do enough to survive
Yeah, too late to work on boxing out. If it were August, you could work on rebounding. THats the big weakness!

stats

Was that the old Loyola Marymount offense?
No! That is the Grinnell offense without all of the substitutions. I dislike the Grinnell offense because there is little or no defense.
Westhead on the other hand said he had his players run 10 miles a day in the off-season to get in better shape than their opponents. They pressed the entire game and gave up a lot of lay-ups, but Marymount caused nearly 200 more turnovers that year than their opponents. In the second round of the tournament, Michigan tried to run with Loyola and lost 149 to 115. In the sweet 16, Alabama slowed it down against Marymount and lost that game 62 to 60. Any offense that begins with it's defense I'm ok with. That was one of my favorite teams. UNLV finally knocked them out in the Elite 8.

RedbirdSoxFan

No! That is the Grinnell offense without all of the substitutions. I dislike the Grinnell offense because there is little or no defense.
Westhead on the other hand said he had his players run 10 miles a day in the off-season to get in better shape than their opponents. They pressed the entire game and gave up a lot of lay-ups, but Marymount caused nearly 200 more turnovers that year than their opponents. In the second round of the tournament, Michigan tried to run with Loyola and lost 149 to 115. In the sweet 16, Alabama slowed it down against Marymount and lost that game 62 to 60. Any offense that begins with it's defense I'm ok with. That was one of my favorite teams. UNLV finally knocked them out in the Elite 8.
You can shoot 3’s and still play defense. Just no sense trying to get the ball in the post when 90% of the time it’s a turnover or miss layup. Hopefully next season we will have a legitimate post player and coaches that can utilize him.

Adunk33

Staff member
The message to the team is that they have nothing to lose. Go ball out because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. It’s the last time this group is going to be together. Hopefully they can use it as motivation and pick up at least one at the Arch. It’s pretty much a sure thing they’ll be in the 8/9 match up and the most likely opponent is Indiana State, who they will have played as their last game of the regular season. Same scenario as last year.

This team matches up well with the Trees as neither has a true post player. If the Birds come out firing, they’ll get the reward of a 16 hour turnaround to play Loyola (or whoever ends up getting the 1 seed).

Jones has been utilizing Alston a lot more than Muller did. I would mind seeing him out there for, if nothing else, 5 fouls on a guy like Prim, Mast, Broadie, etc.

stats

Well that leaves out the Birds . . .
Except for the 2016-2017 year which we mainly played one style of defense and kept improving as the year went on. That was the year our opponents tried to figure out how to beat us and we just figured out how to make ourselves better. Most of the other years (imo) we spent too much time working on strategies, game plans and trick defenses on how to beat our opponents. As a result our rebounding, passing, play down the stretch, and fundamentals in general just look worse.

Bird Friend

Game plan. Drive down Wednesday. Lose Thursday. Drive home. Hire Chris jans
My second thought—my first being ‘no thanks’—was we probably can’t afford him. I am so wrong. If we stayed in the Muller range (a big if), we could double Jans’ salary.

jamminjamarsmiley

My second thought—my first being ‘no thanks’—was we probably can’t afford him. I am so wrong. If we stayed in the Muller range (a big if), we could double Jans’ salary.

I believe he gets a “bonus” each year so that his total salary amounts to around 600k. Plus the boosters tossed around 75k or so for play money for he and his staff. So he would likely need 650k+ to make the move. I bet he’d want 700k or more

Bird Friend

I believe he gets a “bonus” each year so that his total salary amounts to around 600k. Plus the boosters tossed around 75k or so for play money for he and his staff. So he would likely need 650k+ to make the move. I bet he’d want 700k or more
Well . . . then I feel better . . . I think.

Top Bottom