GAME 1: Sept 1- St. Xavier 6:30 p.m.

Adunk33

Staff member
I know none of us are happy with this game. But it is what it is and the football season is finally here!

The game will be the first broadcast on ESPN+ but is also on NBC Sports Chicago Plus.

Game notes: https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/8/29/football-redbirds-set-to-open-2018-against-saint-xavier.aspx
Weekly Press Conference: https://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=8800&type=Archive
Pantagraph Notes: https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/fenlason-to-kick-bohlken-to-punt-for-isu/article_c078a84c-fad5-5c59-958e-919f9600a2cf.html

Prediction: Birds: 65, St. Xavier 3 (Spack indicates in the press conference that they have a good kicker.)

JHBird

If they have a good kicker then I'm going 63-9. They get three fields goals from 3 offensive turnovers. About the only other thing I'll predict is public drunkenness in the parking lots, both before and after.

GratefulRed

JHBird said:
If they have a good kicker then I'm going 63-9. They get three fields goals from 3 offensive turnovers. About the only other thing I'll predict is public drunkenness in the parking lots, both before and after.

Sounds like a plan to me. What time do the lots open for a 6:30 start?

fourthandshort

JHBird said:

ok captain obvious .. and i predict the sun will rise and set that day. Book it !!

Chi-bird

I predict this game is much closer due to rain that slows our offense, and St. X having had a warm up game.

Therefore, Redbirds win, 54 - 0

chuckie1980

All I want...is a victory. I do not care about the score....and no injuries on either team.

fourthandshort

i think rain will help our offense dominate even more. But they like to throw it, so rain may hurt our defensive coverage at times. Right now, it does not look like rain tonight ... and we do have brand new turf which should improve our footing a lot compared to prior years.

And I would ignore fact that they got smoked by another very good NAIA team in 1st game .. we should know full well .. sh-t happen some games. But they are a very good NAIA program and offense .. top 5 almost every year. They like to speed things up on offense .. they get plays off every 21 seconds, so I'm assuming no huddle with reads/audibles at line of scrimmage.

Their defense has zero chance against our offense. Once our RBs get beyond the D-line, their 210 LBers will struggle, and their 175 lb DBs will need lot of help bringing our RBs down.

But their offense will be better than bottom of FCS .. they have a system and it may not have been ready in their week 1. So I can picture them scoring some against our very new defense, but not stopping our offense ... I see at least a margin around 55-10, maybe more ... but Spack will go to 3 deep before game is over.

Hamdonger

ISU in a close one, 102-1. Brady throws and runs for 16TD's, we kick two 70 yard fg's into the rain but we miss all our extra points cause TP's kicking xp's (distracted by Hulka makin' out with tp's wife at the 50).

Tell you this, if we win by 30 or less there could be Chernobyl here.

Hamdonger

Humdinger said:
ISU in a close one, 102-1. Brady throws and runs for 16TD's, we kick two 70 yard fg's into the rain but we miss all our extra points cause TP's kicking xp's (distracted by Hulka makin' out with TP's wife at the 50).

Tell you this, if we win by 30 or less there could be Chernobyl here.

Virginia Redbird

Redbirds win! I will not even try to guess at the score in a game like this. I expect to see the Redbird big and strong O-Line clear the way for the running game. The StX linebackers and defensive backs have a long day trying to bring down the Redbird running backs. Brady probably runs for some big gains and tosses the ball a little bit. Lots of Redbirds see the new turf tonight. The StX defensive linemen have massive headaches with the Redbird O-Line tonight. I am really interested to see what the Redbird defense looks like tonight. Lots of new faces on that side of the ball and new D coordinator. Should be interesting.

SoCalRedbird

How conservative will we be on playcalling, and how long before Spack pulls the starters?

-40 is a gift, but it all seems to depend on the above.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fourthandshort

offense looks pretty flat overall .. very short field on our scores, and not finishing drives.

defense has been opportunistic and solid. STX is getting real creative, and were shutting down almost every trick play.

fourthandshort

seriously .. up 24 and we put James Robinson in to return a punt .... seriously guys ???

So not only does he fumble it away but he limped off field. Add a pemalty and they are sitting on our 9 yard line.

Virginia Redbird

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
Love Brady Davis releasing the ball ASAP and not picking dingleberries in the pocket ala #16

He has not played in while I know but Davis does not look very accurate. Lots of balls sailing on him and the receivers had to adjust to balls behind them. Nice job by Petko on the TD on a ball that was not well thrown. I hope this is just rust.
Defense looks good. Offense looks like they are sleepwalking. Two of the TDs were gifts on a very short field.
Boring game so far. I hope to see a little more energy in the 2nd half.

Top Bottom