Fun

gobirds85

I've been watching a lot of college bball this season as I enjoy college basketball and need to do some intel for our annual trek to Las Vegas. While watching various games from all over the country it seems like other schools are doing all sorts of things to get the student body out to the game. Halftime big wheel races, half court shots, other various events aimed at engaging today's student. Football has tailgating. Basketball does not, so they need to manufacture some fun, interesting things to draw in more students. Do we do anything like this? Back in the '80s (wow, I'm old), we had arm wrestling, tug of war contests, the Flaming Tubas, etc. The game became more of an event, similar to football. Maybe we could look at ways at making the game experience more fun. That and starting to win might help our current situation.

Imagine winning and enjoying the experience. Dare to dream...

Adunk33

Staff member
They give away t-shirts for students at about 80% of the games. Back when I was in school, they did that MAYBE once/year. Students at the time got excited about that. But to your point...no we don't do any of the things you listed. On court promotions with a Papa Johns race or whatever are selected by the students that are already at the game.

With the student turnout and engagement, I'm not sure you could field a solid tug of war match.

SlackBooDom

The common sentiment I get from those who have worked with this administration is that they’re more focused on revenue than game experience. Probably somewhere in the middle ground between fan engagement and money is where ISU would need to find themselves, but there’s no question from going to games for years the energy in the building needs a revamp.

gobirds85

I watch the Birds on the telly and our crowd resembles a morgue at times. No energy whatsoever. I’ve witnessed more enthusiasm at some games where the home team isn’t necessarily any better than us.

Winning cures all but a little window dressing wouldn’t hurt.

gobirds85

Did they take away the post game open court for the little guys and girls to shoot around?

Redbird28

Did they take away the post game open court for the little guys and girls to shoot around?
No. My daughter and friend went out and shot after the UNI game...and Mazanowski was dunking a couple balls too.

Hamdonger

I watch the Birds on the telly and our crowd resembles a morgue at times. No energy whatsoever. I’ve witnessed more enthusiasm at some games where the home team isn’t necessarily any better than us.

Winning cures all but a little window dressing wouldn’t hurt.
In person the crowd feels a bit more engaged and livelier than the previous couple yrs. JMO.

Phantom

As has long been the case...the crowds come out and the energy is in the building when we have sustained winning and hype. It happens every. Single. Time. But the other pervading issue, particularly where the students, band, cheerleaders & Redline are concerned, is the ISU Fun Police. They don't want college students to be college students. I know for a fact that all groups mentioned want to do different things but are always told no. This level of enjoyment suppression could theoretically be traced back to the mid-00's (as one example, the mini football incident. As another, the Mizzou bus trip.) But alas, winning and legitimate buzz will take care of most of it. But a little understanding and relaxing of things by the admin would help too.

gobirds85

As has long been the case...the crowds come out and the energy is in the building when we have sustained winning and hype. It happens every. Single. Time. But the other pervading issue, particularly where the students, band, cheerleaders & Redline are concerned, is the ISU Fun Police. They don't want college students to be college students. I know for a fact that all groups mentioned want to do different things but are always told no. This level of enjoyment suppression could theoretically be traced back to the mid-00's (as one example, the mini football incident. As another, the Mizzou bus trip.) But alas, winning and legitimate buzz will take care of most of it. But a little understanding and relaxing of things by the admin would help too.

I have heard rumors regarding this. As I past member of the Alumni BoD, there was a particular meeting after Homecoming in which some voiced their displeasure with the after effects of tailgating and the amount of garbage left behind. An older gentlemen on the board asked those upset about the mess, what do they actually want? We have thousands of people coming to attend the game, tailgate, parade, etc. and when we get our wish some are upset with the result. Did ISU grounds keeping drop the ball? Were there an inadequate number of garbage cans in the parking lot? Apparently so, but we finally get something rolling and then there are those who wish to burn it down.

I attended the ISU v Depaul ncaa tourney game in Nebraska in the mid '80s and I had a few friends in the Pep Band and they were told prior to the game that DePaul's band was going to do whatever they wanted as it potentially was going to be Ray Meyer's last game. Our band was told to allow DePaul's band to play whenever they wanted to. Heck, even the ncaa has fun police. I'm honored and thrilled to be a Redbird fan back then. The group I was hanging with wasn't taking any of this crap. We had a great time. Sorry that my son and his buddies didn't have the same opportunities.

My son says one of his ISU highlights was storming the court after beating up on Wichita State. I was at that game and it was pretty dang cool.

Redbird60451

I've seen multiple college teams with the student section opposite of the team benches. It looks like it's only 3/4 rows. So basically what all these teams did was change the cameras from looking at the bench to basically your looking at the backs of the teams. And they have 1 row of people who pay $ for tickets on the floor and then the entire student behind those people. They are on camera most of the time as the play goes back and forth. ISU should do this too, kids want to be on TV. Any season ticket holders can move to the empty seats behind the bench which are constantly on TV now, or to then ends. Or they can go behind the student section and stand during the game. Infact you could chop off the lower rows there and just put risers for the students, and then the old people who sit behind them could remain sitting on their hands because they would be above the students kind of.

Aggie

So let’s get rid of the piped in music. Bring back the band at every break. No DJ because we already have a live band. And, then everything else that made Horton an experience in the 1980s. Maybe we can go back to the future and be a winning ball club again. Use a little ingenuity, like getting a couple ropes, get a sponsor, throw in a little free food and maybe borrow a basketball for a half court shot. I may even buy season tickets again. Seriously my game experience is not enhanced by the DJ and piped in music. Yes, I may not be the demographic they are looking for but I do have money that with the right game experience I will part with.

Top Bottom